• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US vs UK

haha that is really mad! so what if you're going home from a night out and the police catch you drunk??
are they called police in the US?
also what are sheriffs?

You're just not suppose to be walking around and heavily intoxicated and definitely not driving while intoxicated. So of they caught you just walking around obnoxiously drunk, depending on the cop they'd either arrest you or tell you to call someone to come get you. If you're caught driving drunk that's a whole nother ball game!
Sheriffs wear the big hats :haha:
And sheriffs get paid a bit more than cops and are involved in more complex cases than regular officers I think. The sheriffs department and the state troopers patrole the thruway, they're always at fairs and things like that. When FOB, at the time we were dating, moved in with me he was still 17 so technically he was a runway and the sheriffs came to school the next day to take him home. So if the sheriffs show up at your door, it's probably not a good thing lol

i see!

what are the laws in the US regarding age?
like how old to move out, have sex, drink, drive

xx

21 is the drinking age.
You have to be 19 to buy cigarettes, except on the reservation.
You can drive at 16.
There really isn't an age it's legal for you to have sex. There is an age of consent, which is the age in which you're legally allowed to have sex with someone over the age of 18 but it's different in each state, here it's 17.
You can't legally move out until you're 18 unless your parents give you permission.

Very different again! Here it is 18 to drink, 17 to drive, 16 to move out and 18 to smoke. It was 16 to smoke but changed a couple of years ago.

The Native American Reservations. It's land given to different Native American tribes all over the country a long time ago. Basically the land is not owned by the U.S, no law enforcement can go on the land except U.S Marshalls and it has to be for something REALLY big. The tribe is allowed to make their own laws and such. Like they don't tax the cigarettes on the res so a lot of people go there to buy them.

Very different again! Here it is 18 to drink, 17 to drive, 16 to move out and 18 to smoke. It was 16 to smoke but changed a couple of years ago.

Wow, a lot of teenagers would be very happy if the drinking age was that low again lol You can move out at 16??

haha, see if a 18 year old from the UK came to the US for a holiday, would they still have to be 21? iykwim? and yeah you can move out at 16 :)x

haha, see if a 18 year old from the UK came to the US for a holiday, would they still have to be 21? iykwim? and yeah you can move out at 16 :)x

I really have no clue lol I assume you could. But I know that they just made a law that American's under 21 can't drink in Canada since their drinking age is only 19, a lot of teenagers used to go there to drink on vacations lol

I don't think i could wait until 21 :haha:

Anyway all you US and Canada ladies, I am away off here now as it is.. 2 in the morning! Very tired! it's been great learning about a different culture, very interesting. great thread! xxx

yes u would still have to be 21.
in new mexico u can buy cigarettes at 18 and drive at 15 1/2

You can buy tobacco products at 18 in Louisiana. And we were the last state to hold out on changing our drinking laws, too. I think it was in the 80s when the government said that they would stop funding states that didn't raise the drinking age to 21. We held out with a loophole until like 1995. :rofl:

21 is the drinking age.
You can drive at 16.
There really isn't an age it's legal for you to have sex. There is an age of consent, which is the age in which you're legally allowed to have sex with someone over the age of 18 but it's different in each state, here it's 17.
You can't legally move out until you're 18 unless your parents give you permission.

I'm in New York so my laws differ a little...

Moving Out--16
Driving--16
Tobacco--18
Sex--18
Gambling/lotto--18
Drinking--21

(I know you have to be 19 to buy tobacco in New Jersey.)

You can join the military at 16 with parental consent or 18 without.
Marriage... You can get married at 14 with a judge's OK, 16 with parental consent and 18 without.

Some people (myself included) believe that if you are old enough to go to war then you are old enough to drink and want the drinking age dropped back down to 18 (it used to be like that about 20-something years ago).

It doesn't matter if you are American or not, they'll still card you for everything. I have to say though, I really enjoyed actually buying my own beer when I was 19 and I visited Ireland. :haha:

21 is the drinking age.
You can drive at 16.

I'm in New York so my laws differ a little...

Moving Out--16
Driving--16
Tobacco--18
Sex--18
Gambling/lotto--18
Drinking--21

(I know you have to be 19 to buy tobacco in New Jersey.)

You can join the military at 16 with parental consent or 18 without.
Marriage... You can get married at 14 with a judge's OK, 16 with parental consent and 18 without.

Some people (myself included) believe that if you are old enough to go to war then you are old enough to drink and want the drinking age dropped back down to 18
(it used to be like that about 20-something years ago).

It doesn't matter if you are American or not, they'll still card you for everything. I have to say though, I really enjoyed actually buying my own beer when I was 19 and I visited Ireland. :haha:

I completely agree :thumbup: If you're old enough to fight and die for our country, you're old enough to have a beer.

I'm in NY too lol
I know moving out is 18, my FOB tried moving in with me at 17 and his parents called him in as a runaway and the sheriffs showed up to school to take him home, said if he did it again he would be arrested :wacko: Which was ridiculous as they told him to leave. You can fight it and try to get emanciapted but you have to be able to prove abuse and/or neglect.
Age of consent to sex is 17
https://www.svfreenyc.org/survivors_legal.html
Wow I didn't know that about being able to get married at 14!

Also the legal age to have sex in New Mexico is 16.

You have to be 18 to buy cigarettes. You can drive at 15 but with an adult in the car and it has to be over 21 I believe and you have to have you driver's permit though. You get your license at 16.

[/QUOTE]

I completely agree :thumbup: If you're old enough to fight and die for our country, you're old enough to have a beer.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this too! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->