• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US vs UK

I know if an American goes on vacation to the UK they can drink at 18. My friend just went on a trip to France and England for a class trip and since she's 18 she was allowed out at the clubs and whatnot. (most people in the states are 17-18 their senior year of high school, so grade 12)

I gatecrashed your teen section to read this whole tread last night :haha: its most interesting!! I thought of some more wheile I was in bed, so thought i'd share! please correct if I've got the US ones wrong! So, uk - uk

Pavement - sidewalk
motorway - freeway
holiday - vacation
trousers - pants

I thought of laods more last night, now my mind has gone blank!! :dohh:

The Native American Reservations. It's land given to different Native American tribes all over the country a long time ago. Basically the land is not owned by the U.S, no law enforcement can go on the land except U.S Marshalls and it has to be for something REALLY big. The tribe is allowed to make their own laws and such. Like they don't tax the cigarettes on the res so a lot of people go there to buy them.

Are there many reservations? Do you see many native american people around? My ancestors were american indians!! Little interesting fact about meee heehee I love it. Made me so mad when I studied the history of the american west.. I was like STOP KILLING MY ANCESTORS AND STEALING THEIR LAND!!! :rofl:

I'm quite proud that I started such a successful thread :happydance: This has never happened to me before!! :haha: x

i just read like most of this thread :rofl: it kept me entertained for a while...

ohhh and as for moving out in the UK, you can move out at 16, but at the same time you can't..
i only know cause i tried, and your perants still have perental responsibility for you till you're 18, so unless they've thrown you out or there's a reason you need to move out, social services send you back home..

this thread says that the american slang stuff vs the uk slang stuff - but i don't even know half the UK slang stuff - like up north it's sooo different from down south.. :haha:
xxxx

i dont know much about this topic thats why i havnt been able to comment :( lol
been reading tho n learning loads:Dso interesting!
where i live they use alott of funny words..dont know if ud even call it slang or what lol like:

whats poppin?
wagwan?
blud..bruv..cuz..fam..
what u saying?
whats good in the endz?
jammin
cotchin

all kinds lol x

ahhh bbyno1 - ahh we have loads of people who talk like that here too :)

skeen and Kooshty (ahh i hate those so much lool)

and i get so confused sometimes when people from up north or even midlands speak and it's like completely different..
like.. i can't think of any ermm..

my friend from up north calls fizzy drinks...
fizzy pop
americans call it...
soda
and down here we just call it..
a fizzy drink

and that's like the same country haha!
like up north they say stuff like bonnie - which i found out means pretty.. :)
lass - which means girl
bun - roll
xxxx

Up north old men always call you 'duck' or 'duckie' too.. which I don't even get why!! It doesn't mean pretty or even anything it's just what they call youngish women. Well random.

I love wagwan hahaha I say it to my mum all the time (just randomly i don't actually talk like that lol) and I say it to my cat like 'wagwan guinness' :rofl: I worry about myself sometimes.. x

and i get so confused sometimes when people from up north or even midlands speak and it's like completely different..

fizzy pop
americans call it...
soda
a fizzy drink

lass - which means girl
bun - roll
xxxx

I find it funny that you're saying 'down here' to refer to where you live... whereas to me London is well up north!! :haha:

fizzy pop
americans call it...
soda
a fizzy drink

lass - which means girl
bun - roll
xxxx

I find it funny that you're saying 'down here' to refer to where you live... whereas to me London is well up north!! :haha:

haha that's so weird.. i'm a bit of a cheater though, i live in kent, so kinda quite south, but more south east than you :) but it's still alot further north than cornwall :haha:

and jade me and my mates talk like it as a joke, so don't worry, if you're going mad, you're not going mad alone..
yeahh...
but then i was just thinking.. if we do this in the UK imagine what the US is like what with it being LOADS bigger as well..
ahhh there's no way i can communicate with anyone who doesn't live down my road :winkwink:
even where my OH lives they talk differently and have different accents and it's like 5/10 minutes in the car away!! :)
like they call you a gimp (which i hadn't heard of) as an insult!!
xxxx

A great topic to brush up whats BE and what is AE. In school we primarly learn BE abut also have a term of AE . and of course the internet offers both AE and BE :haha:
It is funny seeing British not knowing some of the easy American terms and vice versa :haha:

i'm not sure what you mean..
but i'm guessing that's

British English?
and
American English?

basically..
both countries speak the English language, the basics of the language are the same, and most words are the same, and if you spoke in british english to an american, they'd probably understand you, and the other way round....
however, what with the countries being so far apart, you're bound to get slight differences, so certain words we have in the british english language, are slightly different in the american english language..

xxxxxx

Just found this reeeeally interesting and you will appreciate it alex (and anyone else from south of england).. where the cockney accent is meant to be like the LONDON accent.. well now in the paper they're saying it's not anymore! cockney accent is like essex and kent and stuff and now 'the london accent' is like the ... hmm how did they put it... like the sorta jamaican/english blend! You know how like really only black people talk like that but then randomly white people just talk like it to try and be gangsta, well now it's catching on and is overtaking the proper london accent. This makes me sad :( Cockerneeee is like the best accent ever :haha: x

ahhhh i've just thought of one...

i'm afraid it's not US vs UK - but it's AUS vs UK...

but i had a teacher at school who kept calling sellotape, durex...

they're both brand names for adhesive tape/sticky tape..
however, in the UK, durex is a brand name fr condoms!! :rofl:
it had the class in stiches every time she said it, until we had to point it out, after that we had to as a class call it adhesive tape!!!!!!
xxxx

but i'm guessing that's

British English?
and
American English?

xxxxxx

WOW that was so clever that you worked that out.. I was just completely confused as to what she was talking about :haha:

it had the class in stiches every time she said it, until we had to point it out, after that we had to as a class call it adhesive tape!!!!!!
xxxx

And that. is. HILARIOUS! :rofl: x

Just found this reeeeally interesting and you will appreciate it alex (and anyone else from south of england).. where the cockney accent is meant to be like the LONDON accent.. well now in the paper they're saying it's not anymore! cockney accent is like essex and kent and stuff and now 'the london accent' is like the ... hmm how did they put it... like the sorta jamaican/english blend! You know how like really only black people talk like that but then randomly white people just talk like it to try and be gangsta, well now it's catching on and is overtaking the proper london accent. This makes me sad :( Cockerneeee is like the best accent ever :haha: x

not where i live it isn't...
cockney is all the rage loool!! maybe cause there's good old cockneys round here though.. kinda kent, maybe that's why... :haha:

but round here everyone still has.. i got a few, i'm good with the old cockney..

north and south - mouth
hamstead heath - teeth
jack tar - bar
ruby murry - curry
barnet (barnet fair) - hair
old china (old china plate) - old mate
teapot (teapot lids) - kids

Loool, just a few!! :winkwink:
xxxx

but i'm guessing that's

British English?
and
American English?

xxxxxx

WOW that was so clever that you worked that out.. I was just completely confused as to what she was talking about :haha:

xxxx

And that. is. HILARIOUS! :rofl: x

i was soo confused at first too!! i was like, she's lost the plot, then realised she was from germany - and they learn english, but which one!! a lightbulb moment!! hehe..

and it was soo funny - when we left, we got her a pack of durex condoms.. just as a reminder!! lool!!.. :rofl:
xxxx

ooooooo where abouts in Kent?? How exciting lol. I'm moving back there too asap! I was born in Maidstone, grew up in Wrotham which is sort of like near Sevenoaks/Brans Hatch :) x

Sorry to go O/T girlys.. just carry on going around this little convo :haha: x

Sorry im not pregnant or anything but im from Maidstone too :)

ooooooo where abouts in Kent?? How exciting lol. I'm moving back there too asap! I was born in Maidstone, grew up in Wrotham which is sort of like near Sevenoaks/Brans Hatch :) x

Sorry to go O/T girlys.. just carry on going around this little convo :haha: x

Sorry im not pregnant or anything but im from Maidstone too :)

ahh just to be an added pain, but i went to school in maidstone (for like a month, but still) i live nearish there too!! :)

ohhh and my friend works in brans hatch racing track :) lool
xxxx

i love this convo and how much its come on since last reading it last night!
cockney is associcated with the east end of london thats why in eastenders theyve all got an accent but dont tend to use the ryhming slang otherwise we wouldnt understand a thing going on!

i love this convo and how much its come on since last reading it last night!
cockney is associcated with the east end of london thats why in eastenders theyve all got an accent but dont tend to use the ryhming slang otherwise we wouldnt understand a thing going on!

:thumbup: i love cockney - and for some reason i REALLY understand it - maybe it's just because i'm crazy.. not all there ;) hehe..

i always assosicate it with black cab drivers - but they never ever talk like it :dohh:
xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->