Uterine Anomaly Thread (bicornuate, unicornuate, septate, didelphys)

chistiana

Nik,Nat,Maya & 3 angels
Reaction score
Hello everyone. THis is my fourth pregnancy (DS 2010, mmc at 11w1d april 2011,mc at 6w5d august 2011). I am now 12w6d and had our big scan 5 days ago. The dr said everything looked great, strong heartbeat, good measurements! 2 days ago and just when i started thinking i m out of the woods i started bleeding bright red blood (not sure what it would have been like if i was standing as i tried to stay in bed but everytime i went to the toilet the water would turn red) anyway we went to the dr yesterday and he told us that the empty horn of my bicornuate uterus is bleeding but the baby in the other side fine with a good hb! I ve since been on strict bed rest, waiting to see what happens and praying to GOd we can keep this lo. I am so worried all the bleeding will affect the baby as this same thing happened with my missed mc. Other side was bleeding, baby was ok but then 10 days later we found no hb. Please if anyone has had or has heard of any positive reassuring stories i would really appreciate it.

anyone? wow there are no bicornuate uterus ladies out there!!!

Hi, Im not exactly bicornuate. I was originally told that I was , then at my D&C I was told I have uterus didelphys - two seperate wombs each with their own cervix. Ive pushed for further investigations to determine if this is the case incase or if its a uterine septum.
I had a kind of similar situation as yourself with my last pregnancy. At 8 weeks I started having period type bleeding with clots and told that Id miscarried. Anyway two further scans later confirmed that the baby still had a heartbeat and the bleeding was coming from the other non pregnant side - its bizarre! Unfortunately things turned out differently for me as at my 9 week scan there was no longer a heartbeat. I dont mean this as negative or to worry you but I just wanted to say that it sounds like it may well be coming from your other side. Do you def. have bicornuate? Maybe you have two wombs working seperately from each other? My miscarriage tests have revealed that I have a blood clotting problem which has been the cause and not my womb abnormality. Good luck and I have fingers crossed for you.
Its not that often that I see other posts from woman with uterus anomalies.

hello :flower:

I don't have any advice but have a bicornuate uterus too. I've not had any myself but have heard bleeding is common when the other side of the uterus doesn't know there is a pregnancy and tries to have a period. From what I can gather this doesn't harm the baby.

Nice to know I'm not alone with the bcu! :hugs:

Good luck! xx

Hi, Im not exactly bicornuate. I was originally told that I was , then at my D&C I was told I have uterus didelphys - two seperate wombs each with their own cervix. Ive pushed for further investigations to determine if this is the case incase or if its a uterine septum.
I had a kind of similar situation as yourself with my last pregnancy. At 8 weeks I started having period type bleeding with clots and told that Id miscarried. Anyway two further scans later confirmed that the baby still had a heartbeat and the bleeding was coming from the other non pregnant side - its bizarre! Unfortunately things turned out differently for me as at my 9 week scan there was no longer a heartbeat. I dont mean this as negative or to worry you but I just wanted to say that it sounds like it may well be coming from your other side. Do you def. have bicornuate? Maybe you have two wombs working seperately from each other? My miscarriage tests have revealed that I have a blood clotting problem which has been the cause and not my womb abnormality. Good luck and I have fingers crossed for you.
Its not that often that I see other posts from woman with uterus anomalies.
Hello and thank you so much for replying! I am so sorry about your loss. I m sure i have a bicorn uterus, as i was initially told it was a septate had surgery to remove it but was later told it wasnt a septate and they couldnt remove it. In april this year i started bleeding at 6 weeks and this lasts on and off until week 11. At each scan i was told it was the other side and that the baby was ok only for me to go in at 11w1d to find out the hb had stopped. I ve tested for clotting disorders too but couldnt find anything. The bleeding has now stopped but i m not seeing the dr for another week so i am a total nerve wreck! Thanks again for replying it s always nice to feel that you re not alone out there

hello :flower:

I don't have any advice but have a bicornuate uterus too. I've not had any myself but have heard bleeding is common when the other side of the uterus doesn't know there is a pregnancy and tries to have a period. From what I can gather this doesn't harm the baby.

Nice to know I'm not alone with the bcu! :hugs:

Good luck! xx

Thanks hun and yes it s nice being able to share with other people thAt know what we re talking about! The dr said the bleeding from the other side wont hurt the baby but last time this happened the bleeding caused the placenta to slightly detach and then the hb stopped. Hopefully this time round the baby and the placenta are bigger since i am further along the pregnancy so i m just keeping my faith. I ve bought a fetal doppler to keep my sanity so as long as i can hear this hb i ll try to remain positive. I wish you very good luck in conceiving very very soon if you still ttc.the best is still to come!

I really hope things turn out ok for you. I can understand you must be a nervous wreck after last time. Im currently undergoing investigations to determine if it is true didelphys or a septum. I had my MRI 2 weeks ago (still waiting on results) and a hysteroscopy scheduled for next week. I need to rule out for sure that this isnt a septum or it will need to be removed. Interesting how you say that you went in to have it removed and it turned out not to be one! With these anomalies being so rare I think its hard to determine exactly what you have and misdiagnosis is common. BU has very good outcomes aswell I know that much.
Ive also pushed for progesterone next time around as I said to the doctor that surely if my progesterone was high enough then the other non pregnant side shouldnt be bleeding as progesterone stops the lining from being shed during pregnancy. Have you possibly got low progesterone or had it tested?. I think you should ask about supplements even to stop this bleeding and anxiety, it leaves you wondering what is happening and teh fear of going to each scan. Good luck x

Justkeeptryin it s funny how you say about being misdiagnosed...i think my case was a combination Of a misdiagnosis and a bad doc...after i had the surgery to remove what he swore was a septum he initially told me that it was indeed a septum, they removed it and everything was fine! Imagine my shock when i got pg and at my first doc appointment the new doc said "ow i see tou have a bu"! I was like "no, it was a septum and i had it fixed" but he insisted and so i brought in the dvd. He saw it and told me that in the 1 hour that i was under general anesthesia they only worked on me for about 3 mins as they couldnt cut anthing out. Only then did the "surgeon" say that they couldnt remove "all of it as they hit muscle"!!!!great practice of medicine!! I m already on progesterone 600 mg a day and hope this will work its magic. Bleeding has stopped and i m anxiously waiting to go in for a scan next monday! Thank you so much for the suggestion and asking after me!i hope your investigation sheds some light on your condition and to be quite honest i hope it is a septum as after resection you ll have a perfectly normal uterus ready to carry your rainbow baby!keep in touch, i would really love tk know how it goes!

Wow thats bizarre that you could watch the video of your surgery and they only worked on it for 3 mins! I used to think its going to be worst case scenario if it turns out to be a septum and how devaststed Ill be. But now Ive realised that so many people get it removed and they are absolutely fine afterwards as it becomes like a normal uterus! I joined Mullerian anomalies yahoo group..dont know if your a member there but its a great forum for info. Purely people with different uterus anomalies. Lots of success stories on there.
I will keep checking in on how you get on with your scan..best of luck for it! and I will keep you posted on my results of MRI and hysteroscopy. Take care x

Well i didnt watch the dvd cause i was scared to the doc did and told me what happened! Anyway yes i do think a septum is worse if you dont have it repaired but if you can repair it then its way better than bu or uterus didelphys for which you cant do anything about it.whatever the case though we both need to remember it s not the end of the world and as you say there are lots of success stories out there....i had my son at 38w4d with normal vaginal birth and no problems whatsoever throughout the pregnancy and then had 2 mc...that goes to show! I ll register with the site you mentioned,its not always easy to find people with these problems,thanks for that! Lets keep each other updated and hopefully we both have the best possible outcomes!

Hi Chistiana, well I got my MRI results back and it says I def. have two cervixes and what appears to be a double womb fused together...Im still a bit confused as to whether it is didelphys or a septum. I always thought that didelphys was two seperate wombs not touching but now Ive read some people say that they have fused didelphys but others say that dosent exist and its a septum. Still to get my hysteroscopy on Thursday and praying for answers!

Hi I was diagnosed with a bicornuate uterus when I was 13 and they couldn't tell me how severe it was until I had a hysteroscopy in 2009 which they told me I had 2 complete separate uterus's and 2 complete cervix's. I am now 6 weeks and 5 days and haven't had a scan yet. Im worried about as they tell me I have an increased risk of premature labour and breach baby.

Hi, this sounds exactly like what I have. Its hard not to worry but to be honest Im reading lots of success stories, although its important that they monitor for incompetent cervix and regular scans. So many people are misdiagnosed with what type of anomaly they have. My womb must look quite heart shaped at regular scans hence saying it was bicornuate but then at my D&C they said I have didelphys, now MRI is still more or less saying didelphys/double womb but the two are fused and touching which apparently is possible. I wish you lots of luck in your pregnancy and will be intetrested to follow how you are getting on.
All along Ive been determined to get to the bottom of whether I have a septum but if the hysteroscopy results still show two seperate wombs/cavities then we are going to start ttc again and I will get progesterone, heparin blood thinning injections and aspirin to support the pregnancy.
Im a bit nervous about the hysteroscopy but its being done under general anaesthetic so I'll be out cold. They tried doing internal investigations at the consultants office but it was so painful. Good luck x

Chesmik- first of all congratulations on your pregnancy! And at least you know exactly what your uterus is like unlike a lot of other women so you know your risks. I wouldnt worry so much about the baby being breach...at the end of the day what's the worst that can happen....a c section-not that tragic. As for preterm labor i know it is a possibility and you will worry about it but on a positive note my doc had me praying to reach 27 weeks with my ds and he made it to 38w4d and was not breach! Good luck hun, it d be nice to keep in touch, we re not far in our pregnancies!

Justkeeptryin- your diagnosis sounds confusing but maybe that s just that dydelphis fused together.i think if it was a septum you wouldnt have 2 cervixes but i guess the hysterescopy will give you a final answer.dont worry about it, you wont understand a thing and even though i m not sure how things work there you ll be back home the same day being pampered by dh!!

Afm- went for another scan today, baby is doing great but bloody hematoma wont go away or even get any smaller...uuurrrgggg sometimes i hate my left side uterus!!another 9 days in bed, no x mas celebrations for me and we ll see. Only big problem is if this lood doesnt dissapear we cant put in the cerclage.

Hi Chistiana, that sucks about the haematoma..fingers crossed it goes away and you can get your cerclage in. Oh the joys of having a second non pregnant womb. They noticed a small haematoma below my last pregnancy but nothing substantial to explain the heavy bleeding I was having. thats when the realised that my lining in my non pregnant left womb was extremely thick and was trying to carry on as normal and shed like a period!
I will be so glas come Thursday to hopefully get final answers when they look inside, Im still not convinced that its a septum as apparently from MRI images its very easy to see but who knows who interpreted the results. Will keep you posted on the results, its nice to keep in touch

Lorraine

Yes its actually really nice talking to you,you simply describe exactly what s happening riht now...damn left side is having a period...as if having one every month is enough, we have to have one while we re pg too!!if indeed this is didelphys can you do something to open it up or do you just go by "hay it s 2 smaller ones but that will do"? I hope everything goes really well and you pg very very soon!

Apparently didelphys is good and has good outcomes. Yes the wombs are smaller but still complete wombs inside without septums thats why Ive kind of hoped all along that its that, then I can crack on with ttc again. But if its a septum its all put on hold again until it gets removed. I have no idea how long it would take to be referred.
Its weird the bleeding you've described must be a haematoma as I though that progesterone supplements would not allow you to have period bleeding. Thats what I hoped anyway, thats why I want progesterone to hopefully prevent that happening along with the anxiety!

Hi hun xx just wanted to say that i bled at 10 weeks and as you know i have a bicornuate uterus.. they took me to one side and said i would be lucky to get to 21 weeks.. anyhow my son was breech but we went full term and hes now 5. This time im now 34 weeks and baby is head down.. both pregnancys in the right horn. Just wanted to give some positive vibes to you and the other ladies xxxxxhugsxxxx

Thanks for your support, it's nice to talk to other women who have the same issue as me.

Its concerning having these problems but I'm hoping that everything works out and I am able to carry to full term. Is there an increased risk for having an incompetent cervix with 2 separate uteri and if yes why is that?

Can they tell this in advance or only if you miscarry? I know that the issues with having a heart shaped uterus like a bicornuate is that if the embryo implants in the wrong spot it might not receive enough blood flow which causes a miscarriage, is this the same if you have 2 separate?

I havent had my first scan as I'm very early but hoping to have one in around 2 weeks so I hope I hear a heart beat and everything looks normal.

Ill keep you updated with everything and thanks for replying.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->