Valentines Babies, 2013!

Okay so I need some advice. Dh and I got in another argument tonight ...since our 16 week appt is tomorrow morning, I asked him what we should say if the midwife offers the quad/trisomy 21 test? He already knew my answer : I want to do it ...because I'm a worrier and a planner. So I can prepare to take care if a special needs baby or not. Well Dh got all upset saying we should love the baby anyways and I was making him think of the baby as special needs now instead of a normal baby. He said it's unjust to think differently of the baby because it might have special needs ..... this coming from a man who gets nervous and has to leave the room when there are special needs kids there. I used to work with severely disabled kids and I know how challenging that can be... I just want to be prepared. And I don't want to be shocked or scared or worried or upset when the baby is born - I'd rather know ahead of time. Well Dh is a hothead and got upset and left the room and told me I'm ridiculous. So...I'm wondering ...are you ladies having/had the test done? What are your reasons to/not to? Is it ridiculous to even worry about it? Im young -26-healthy and the only down syndrome individual in my family is my cousins daughter. And I'm from a really large family. Obviously I'm going to love my child either way... but I just figured that they offer the test, so why not take it? But Dh thinks differently which makes me wonder if I should reconsider? Any thoughts?

Hiya, I declined the DS test as tbh, its one of many disibilitys. A scan can not tell you if your child has autism etc. The reason I use that example is my son has autism. It really does not bother me and I figured me I will just go with the flow as I class my self as low risk of DS and its one disibilitys of many that its really not worth it in my situation (IMO) hugs x

Sierra, sounds like we are a bit in the opposite boat. I am not too keen on having the tests because I know we will keep our LO regardless of any disabilities. No matter how well you plan there are always going to be difficulties. We will probably do the simple blood tests, but not the amino. DH is slightly concerned because one of his first cousins has DS and many of his friend's first born's have autism.

It is SO tough, and I totally respect what everyone chooses to do. Thinking about your baby's health is like the #1 Mommy worry, and however we can all get through these next few months until baby is born, that's probably the best thing :)

Helena, I'm so sorry you didn't get any help! Is hydrocortisone safe during pregnancy? My DH had something similar and used that to help it go down. It could be contact dermatitis? Have you been wearing flip-flop shoes a lot? I'm no expert, just throwing ideas out there since your Dr. was so NOT helpful! Either way, I'm sorry you're so miserable.

DragonflyWing, it does look space age! My DH handles the fact that he has 2 (and probably 3!) girls by making sure they have techie gadgets galore. His take on it is: It may be pink, but it will be cool! I'm more of the practical type, but I can't complain, since a lot of his gadgets keep LOs busy, lol.

Hey ladies!

Sierra - I felt exactly like you with being 'prepared'. Nothing can make you 100% prepared but it does help to know there's that option of finding out.

Helena - hope you feel better soon and you find out what's happening with your foot. Bless your LO getting his duvet for you.

Kellen - that's really nice of your friend to get you whatever you need. I really wanted a daughter first time round and DH has got his wish this time and is having his son. Bet you can't wait to find out!

Jo - we have the Quinny Buzz from DD and I love it. Which maxi cosi carseat will you get?

Wamommy - we bought the Zapp too but in bright pink - ooops - so we'll need a different seat when our little man is ready to go into it!!

I had the test for the same reason, it wouldn't change how I felt about the baby but I know nothing about it and wou,f therefore use the time to prepare and research so that I could give baby the best chances, options and support.

The decision you make is going to be the right one for you, whatever you end up choosing xxx

Thanks so much everyone! After seeing the doctor and discussing it further, I don't think Dh and I will do the quad testing. We have to pay for it out if pocket, and it gets shipped to get tested ...so it would be expensive. We have decided if there is something that we need to know, it will show up on the 20 week ultrasound. So it doesn't calm my worries but I think it's the best decision for us right now.

On another note, our appointment went wonderfully! Babys heart rate is 153 and doctor said my measurements are great! We're so happy! However, I gained 8 pounds! Doctor said I have to eat less sweets because that's a lot to gain in 4 weeks...which I limit sweets already! :( I'm thinking I need more exercise too though because I'm sure that'd help keep the weight down. :( also the doctor said I need to eat more protein ...I'm vegetarian and I usually get about 40-50 grams of protein a day...but the doctor says I need 60-80 grams a day. :( it's vital for babys brain! I feel so bad that I have been getting less than what I need for baby! Im going to try to get enough protein now though! It's so hard to eat right during pregnancy!

Hi all.

With my other 2 pregnancys, I was only ever offered a 20 week scan anyway and I didnt ever think about the other test, but when they offered them this time, It just added more worry!

How are you all today? I felt so faint today and ended up blacking out on the school run so left my car up the school :( x

Jo - we have the Quinny Buzz from DD and I love it. Which maxi cosi carseat will you get?

There is a deal on the cabriofix car seat if you get it with the Quinny and with my car, you can have the option of isofix or the belt fixing for that particular seat, so at least we don't have to fork out for the isofix, even though we probably will :haha:

Hi all.

With my other 2 pregnancys, I was only ever offered a 20 week scan anyway and I didnt ever think about the other test, but when they offered them this time, It just added more worry!

How are you all today? I felt so faint today and ended up blacking out on the school run so left my car up the school :( x

Oh no! that's not good at all! Did you eat breakfast?

Nope so my own fault really but felt so nauseous this morning and I do have low BP (was 90/30 at 16week app) so lucky my friend had a capri sun in her car so gave me that and gave me a lift home. I am not a great one for people fussing over me so its been really hard to accept that sometimes I just have to go and sit down!! x

I know the feeling. Sometimes you have to let people help you!

Maybe you should eat something now, a banana or something!

I am going to make some lunch and try and stop rushing for now and carry snacks around even if its just a small pack of raisins :) x

I was just in the kitchen at work making myself a nice bowl of oatmeal when I looked down. And what did I see? A bump. I know that it has been there for a while, but for the first time it hit me that I am actually beginning to look pregnant and have the formation of a proper bump. I don't know why this is so shocking to me, but it really is. There is actual a live little baby growing inside of me... whoa.

I was just in the kitchen at work making myself a nice bowl of oatmeal when I looked down. And what did I see? A bump. I know that it has been there for a while, but for the first time it hit me that I am actually beginning to look pregnant and have the formation of a proper bump. I don't know why this is so shocking to me, but it really is. There is actual a live little baby growing inside of me... whoa.

Aww :hugs: congratulations Kellen :haha:

Congrats on a great appointment, Sierra :D I wouldn't worry about the weight gain. I've gained a lot this month too, so maybe it's a growth spurt? The important thing is your baby seems to be happy!!

Midnight, how scary! I have low blood pressure too, and I always have a zip-loc bag full of something in my bag. Today it's Cheez-its :dohh: Not the healthiest snack, but it keeps me from getting so woozy and faint.

Kellen, that's awesome :) IT is amazing, isn't it?

Jo_Bean, we have the older Maxi Cosi Mico car seat and were planning on using it again, but if there's a special deal on a newer model:happydance: Maybe I'll just convince DH we need a new one?

So glad to hear your appointment went well, Sierra! I know what you mean about it being difficult to eat right...it's a daily struggle!

Midnight, I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling great today! I hope you feel better after eating and resting a bit :hugs:

Kellen- I had a "whoa" moment this morning too! I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth, and I turned sidways in the mirror and said "whoa!" then ran out to show DH how my bump has grown. I even took a picture, which I'll include at the bottom.

Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid the round ligament pain? I've practically disabled myself twice already today...I must have turned oddly getting out of the car this morning and couldn't even speak for a minute because the pain was so bad. Then like 20 minutes later, I sneezed and owwwwww man that hurts!

Attachments

• 17w1d.jpg
    17w1d.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1
Oh midnight, sorry to hear of your blacking out, sounds scarey! I guess it just goes to show how important breakfast is right now. Even when. Let sick I could manage nutty muesli so I am lucky I guess. Hey Sierra - maybe nuts could be a way to more protein?? Don't worry too much about the weight, it'll all balance out I be.our babies doubled weight in the last couple of weeks so maybe that's it. I know I am gaining quickly, but I will sort out how to lose it later, hopefully breastfeeding will work it's magic! It was brilliant with my 1st. I gained about 18 kilos (x2.2 for pounds?) and lost it in 3 months with a guzzler little baby!

I have the Phil and Teds double sports stroller, just bought it from a friend. All this talk of car seats reminds me I must figure out what car seat goes with it. It's so exciting now we can actually prepare with relative safety isn't it! Kellen - I know what you mean about suddenly realizing you are elegant. I have those sudden moments every nw and then and it amazes me every time. And it amazes me how I got this far without really believing it!lol

Dragon, I have to bend and tense a bit before sneezing. Or hold my tummy with my hands. Otherwise ouch!!

Round ligament pain is a pain. Last night I tried to roll over in bed and all of a sudden I was struck with paralyzing pain. I let out a little gasp and DH rolled over to "help" I pushed him away and told him to let me be and that this pain was all his fault. :haha: Poor guy :( After that I said sorry and cuddled up, once the pain had passed. I also almost did a "sneeze'n'pee" while sitting at the computer last night. DH almost fell out of his chair he was laughing so hard.

Dragon, that is a lovely bump! I'm going to have DH take a picture of mine tonight... after we visit the chiropractor.

made some flapjacks to carry around with me and granola :) DDs at a afterschool club till 7 so just me and DS for a bit. x

Keller - in my previous pregnancies I had to ban my very funny husband from
Making any sudden jokes from about month 7, due to the laugh-and-wee situation!ofcourse my husband found it hilarious! Lol. Sounds like you are going to have a hilarious, if damp, time starting already! Haha

Oh, thank goodness, ladies... just had a scare! My doctor's office called me back with my test results after only a day and a half! Usually I have to hunt them down after a week and beg for my results. I came home to a message that they had called with some test results. My heart stopped beating. Why were they calling so fast? Is something wrong? I called them immediately, and sat on hold for 10 minutes about to burst into tears. Finally my OB's nurse answered and told me that all of my tests (thyroid and quad screen) came back normal! I could have passed out from relief. Ugh, thank goodness. Now I can relax a little.

Beautiful bump, DragonflyWing!!!!!

I just came back from a long day at our State's Fair. It's HUGE, and so fun. We were also 90 degrees here today, so it was just gorgeous. My kids rode a bunch of rides, and I felt so proud of them and how much they're growing up. They even rode a roller coaster without mommy and daddy! It was tiny, but still, lol. I'm wiped out, though, and going to lie down a bit.

Phew wamommy, glad it was good news after all! Sounds like a great day all round :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->