Vanishing Twin :(

FrankieGirl16

Reaction score
So I had my 6 week scan today. We got to hear the heartbeat and it was really strong. Baby was measuring at 7 mm and the hearbeat was 144. I'm supposed to be 6 weeks 3 days but baby is developing at 6 weeks 5 days.

Then the doctor found baby "b" which we weren't expecting. Initial reponse was holy crap! Twins! My husband almost fell out of the chair. Unfortuately the doctor immediately told us that this is going to be a vanishing twin. Baby "b" is not developing properly. It's measuring only 3 mm and heartbeat was 86 which puts it at 6 weeks. He said when I return in a week and a half it should no longer be visible. We heard the hearbeat and it was really sad, very slow. I started crying in front of the doctor.

We weren't prepared for twins and the thought of having them scares me, but knowing that I'm going to lose one is really sad. I'm still very blesssed that baby A is doing great with a nice healthy strong heartbeat. Doctor said that it shouldn't be affected by baby B. He said I might experience some bleeding which is normal.

Has anyone else ever dealt with this and gone on to have a perfect, healthy baby? thanks!

So sorry, this would be sad. I guess just try to remember how lucky you are that baby a is so very healthy. That heartbeat is amazing for the 6th week. Congrats and I'm sorry!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss - but congratulations on your healthy one! I think this is fairly common. I've heard lots of similar stories from other women on here.

I did. DD had a "vanishing twin" she's a perfectly healthy 2 year old, and I had a wonderful pregnancy with her. I was sad about the twin, but it did go away when I realized how healthy my daughter was the rest of my pregnancy. Happy and Healthy 9 months to you!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try my best to focus on the healthy baby. I know this is probably just a result of the fertility meds and wasn't meant to be, which helps me deal with it. I really hope that there is no affect on the healthy one.

Oh I'm so sorry :( baby B will forever be missed but I'm so happy for you to have a string baby A! :hugs:

the only thing i will say and i dont want to in anyway get your hopes up or anything. you should listen to your dr and not someone on the net. However i have worked in a hospital scan place. When we had people with twins there 2 babys never measured the same. There was always one that was more behind. Sometimes by as much as 5 days. At 6 weeks the heart is only just seen on a scan and of course starts of slow and gets quicker. Now thats not to say thats whats happening with you;. But just wanted to put that out there. i have seen scans where 1 sac has a small baby and the other is empty. then 2 weeks later a rescan shows 2 babys. xx

So sorry to hear this - but happy that you have 1 healthy baby on the way! Hugs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->