VBAC info/support

Hi ladies, I'm WTT for #2 after a terrible birth which included an induction, a lot of pushing and an Emergency Caesarean after my baby's heart rate began to dip. I would love another baby but can't face the way a Caesarean made me feel like less of a woman again.

My OB told me that I would need C-Sections for any subsequent births but never explained why. My son was a big boy (9lb-er) but he was 11 days OD.

I am a relatively big girl and I'm told that it can make a difference as to success rates. What if I was to lose some weight prior to TTC?

I read today that the hospital i gave birth in has the highest C-section rates in the South-East of UK. It's something like 32% of births. Not liking those odds!

Anyway, anyone got any advice on things I can do to try and have a successful VBAC??

In that case I would seek out a VBAC friendly hospital, 32% is crazy!! I had an emcs and even though the hospital was pro natural I still felt that the section was pushed. Losing weight and being fit will help your chances too.

Hi ladies.

Just wanted to introduce myself.:flower: I'm Leanne and I am currently pregnant with my third child. My boys are 11 and 9 so a fair gap between them and this one.
I laboured with both of my boys but sadly ended up with 2 emcs due to fetal distress. I would like a water birth this time and am 99% sure I would like to do this at home.
I know I will face opposition from the consultant but I am well aware of my rights and I am fully educated in the pros and cons of my choices.:thumbup:

So a big hi to all fellow vbacers.:hugs:

Hey ladies :wave:

Ive never posted on this thread before! Im steph and am hoping for a vbac this time round!

I was wondering, were any of u told whether or not u were allowed to take raspberry leaf?

Ive read conflicting articles on the internet and just looking for some advice :flower: xxxx

My consultant told me to start taking raspberry leaf tea from 35weeks.

I took it with both my pregnancies after an emergency section
This time I also took evening primrose oil at 36 weeks because I wanted to avoid an induction. Incidently this was the only one I wasn't induced in!
Raspberry leaf also helps your iron levels and the rate of bleeding afterwards. If I was ever pregnant again I would take it again.

Hi :flower:

Currently pregnant with #2 and a plus size lady!

I had planned CS for a few reasons. Im so early but as my GP appt is tomorrow I KNOW they will ask me about VBAC/CS so I was taking a wee goosey on here to see the info! There's a lot more to think about than I thought! I assumed id be forced into CS (and wasnt even sure I wanted a VBAC :blush:) but i think that was more fear of the unknown!

So yeah Im wondering if any bigger ladies have successfully had a VBAC? I will try to scour all these pages when lil miss is tucked in! :coffee:

xxx

Wow hi to all the new ladies!!

Sorry I havent been around much, needed a bit of a hiatus - the Dr has put me on mad pills (anti-D's) so ive been giving myself abreak from research and thread maintainance.

Feel free to pm me if you need me

X

Can an ob/gyn refuse to do c-sections? There's actually a sign in my doctor's office saying "A woman who has had a c section will have a repeat c section. No vbacs!"
I assume she must have faced legal issues that prompted this declaration, but can she do this? Since, in the US, it's a private practice, I guess she has the right, but the sucky thing is I don't think there any other obs in my area that will do them.

My reason for having a csection was failed induction, and she said my pelvis was too small. Because of this, she said future babies would have to be c-section too.
But my question is that what if next time, I go into labor on my own and progress, could it work?

Of course hun, most woment old their pelvis is too small are lied too.

OB's are too impatient and want to control things so you end up in theatre.

If you are small and have a big baby you need to be mobile upright and in control not flat on your back with unnatural contractions strapped to monitors and uptight and stressed...you'll always get a bad labour that way.

Is there no way of finding a VBAC OB near you or going with a MW at all? (Not always easy I know)

Can an ob/gyn refuse to do c-sections? There's actually a sign in my doctor's office saying "A woman who has had a c section will have a repeat c section. No vbacs!"
I assume she must have faced legal issues that prompted this declaration, but can she do this? Since, in the US, it's a private practice, I guess she has the right, but the sucky thing is I don't think there any other obs in my area that will do them.

My reason for having a csection was failed induction, and she said my pelvis was too small. Because of this, she said future babies would have to be c-section too.
But my question is that what if next time, I go into labor on my own and progress, could it work?

I would call around and see who does them. I have to drive 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to my doc who does a vbac! It's all about the money and time. If they do a c-section they get more $'s and it takes much less time. Do NOT let someone tell you it's not possible. You do what is best for YOU! :flower:

thanks for replying ladies

It would be weird shopping around for another doc; I kind of feel loyal for some reason, and I do like her, but it may not hurt to hear some other ob's point of view. My baby wasn't big at all--5lb 8oz. But she asked me if anyone else in my family had a csection, and I said my mom and my sister, and she nodded as if that explained it all. :rofl:

Does anyone know if its better to push hard and fast or long and soft, with a VBAC, to avoid UR? Is there a difference?? Ie is it better to push for two hours generally normal pushing or for twenty minutes "popping your eyes out" pushing?

Hi there, been reading through the thread this am and there is so much help on here. I am literally about to go and see my consultant for first appointment and my dates are running ahead so I am 13+6. I had a emcs with my ds at 36 weeks as he went into fetal distress but I bled on and off whole way through pregnancy. I have already had 4 scans with this one due to bleeds and looks like I am having another one ( will tell consultant when there) I dont know what to do and whats best I want a VBAC but whole idea scares me.

Does anyone know if its better to push hard and fast or long and soft, with a VBAC, to avoid UR? Is there a difference?? Ie is it better to push for two hours generally normal pushing or for twenty minutes "popping your eyes out" pushing?

From what I've read the risk of UR if you have a normal csection scar is 0.5-1%, not a big risk. I believe it's better to let your body do the pushing (i.e. not popping your eyes out pushing unless that's what your body is telling you).

I am currently looking into HBAC! I am struggling to picture going in to hospital to give birth as I had such a negative experience last time. We'll see what the midwife says when I see her in 2 weeks.

Does anyone know if it's ok to drink RTL if you are going for a vbac? The internet is full of contradictory info and I don't see my mw again till 34 weeks.

A lot of the girls from the May 2010 thread used it to with great results (shorter 2nd stage of labour).

Does anyone know if it's ok to drink RTL if you are going for a vbac? The internet is full of contradictory info and I don't see my mw again till 34 weeks.

A lot of the girls from the May 2010 thread used it to with great results (shorter 2nd stage of labour).

I drank RLT during my pregnancy - although did end in EMCS. I was advised by my midwife to not start drinking it till 36 / 37 weeks. :thumbup:

Obviously enquire about any concerns regarding VBAC though :flower:

I'm not certain there has been any research into the difference except for the consensus that coached or forced pushing is almost always a bad thing.

The Royal College of Midwives have published a paper 'are we pushing too hard?' that runs through the implications of the val salva or coached chin to the chest deep breath and push 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 type pushing.

I never got to push with DS1, so with DS2 my VBAC it was like pushing 1st time, I pushed for nearly 2 hours but was left to push however I wanted except I was put in stirrups...I couldnt move myself and had no one to stop them...but hey I didnt tear, so cant complain.

I'm not certain there has been any research into the difference except for the consensus that coached or forced pushing is almost always a bad thing.

The Royal College of Midwives have published a paper 'are we pushing too hard?' that runs through the implications of the val salva or coached chin to the chest deep breath and push 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 type pushing.

I never got to push with DS1, so with DS2 my VBAC it was like pushing 1st time, I pushed for nearly 2 hours but was left to push however I wanted except I was put in stirrups...I couldnt move myself and had no one to stop them...but hey I didnt tear, so cant complain.

Why did you have to have stirrups for home birth , it this routine practice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->