Vegetarian Mums and Babies!

:blush: He cooks...although when he's working again it will probably have to be me. I literally can't cook an egg! Will have to get my mum to teach me!
He thinks it's unfair to deny the child meat, he also doesn't want me to tell the child where meat comes from in case i scare it, is that fair? I want my child to be educated and informed. I know it's kinda early to be thinking about things like this but it's an important issue for me!

Meh, I don't see what's unfair about it, but it will warrant further discussion to get to a middle ground i suppose. My dh is a meat eater, the kids are too. I gave up eating meat when dd2 was a toddler so both had been introduced to meat at weaning. My youngest has dabbled for lengths of time with vegetarianism, but my oldest would shoot bambi in the head if she thought he would make a nice meal. She can catch and gut a fish etc. They both know where meat comes from, it hasn't scared them but it has given them the information to decide for themselves. I suspect the smaller one will at some point in her life become a veggy.
With ds I will not be cooking or giving him meat. Dh may introduce meat at some point and ds can decide within reason what he eats outside. Like the girls he will be exposed to both our choices and educated as to where meat comes from. I think it's important that children know where food comes from, meat, fruit and veg alike so they can make good choices. I hate to think most kids seem to think their food comes from 'TESCO' etc.

Would agree that skinny bitch is as good as everyone says! Although i'm from UK and it seemed a bit american for me...like some of the foodstuffs i'd never heard of but would definitely recommend it even to a die hard vegan just for a good read...

Wow this thread has been busy recently, I sub it but for some reason overlooked it. Hi everyone :)

it was mentioned ages ago but re. veggie sources of omega 3 DHA - I used a great algae oil supplement called V Pure (just google it!) when I was pregnant and it was great alternative to fish oil!

THANK YOU! Just found this thread after spending ages online trying to find a veggie omega supplement which is safe to take during pregnancy... this stuff seems to be perfect.

I've been a vegetarian for almost 15 years (since I was 15!) and I think I generally eat a very good diet - I make most meals from scratch and eat lots of veg, fruit, protein, good carbs and low-fat dairy. I would really like to raise my baby (due Oct) this way but I my husband is quite concerned about development issues etc. I have mellowed somewhat and tentatively agreed that our girl can eat some meat/fish, but he will have to cook it as I wouldn't even know how to! Which will no doubt mean she will end up vegetarian as he rarely cooks ;-)
As soon as she is old enough I will explain to her exactly where meat etc comes from and let her make up her own mind.

I made such a good pie yesterday :) Quorn (beef style pieces) and ale (veggie) pie! Nom nom nom!

^^^^^^ Sounds yum, we so need to start uploading pics of our dinners to share ideas e.t.c x

Hi everyone, not been around for ages, how are you all doing?

Byron is doing well with the veggie and things have settled to a routine at nursery. I had to laugh a while back though when they gave him cake for a birthday party and when they told me suddenly looked guilty and asked if it was ok! Presumably a veggie baby must be one with no refined sugar or indeed fun in their lives! lol

We've just been getting into veggie lasagne. DH was going to buy a horrid Quorn ready meal so I was like, no I'll just make one. He does the cooking now but I am still the one who can do dishes. He didn't believe me but ordered the stuff and now we are making it every week or two and freezing portions for Byron. He's loving it!

I made such a good pie yesterday :) Quorn (beef style pieces) and ale (veggie) pie! Nom nom nom!

ooooh such a good idea,thats so going to be happening in this house this week!

Hi everyone, not been around for ages, how are you all doing?

Byron is doing well with the veggie and things have settled to a routine at nursery. I had to laugh a while back though when they gave him cake for a birthday party and when they told me suddenly looked guilty and asked if it was ok! Presumably a veggie baby must be one with no refined sugar or indeed fun in their lives! lol

We've just been getting into veggie lasagne. DH was going to buy a horrid Quorn ready meal so I was like, no I'll just make one. He does the cooking now but I am still the one who can do dishes. He didn't believe me but ordered the stuff and now we are making it every week or two and freezing portions for Byron. He's loving it!

Hi PB!:flower:

I love veggie lasagne,endless possibilities.I always make one with loads of spinach in. xx

If anyone wants to know how to make the pie you need:

puff pastry
Quorn pieces (beef style)
Onion
Chestnut mushrooms
Bisto original
Ale

Cook onion, mushroom and quorn until soft. Add ale, add gravy granuals to thicken and simmer for 15 mins. Put pastry in cooking dish, put filling in, cover with pastry and cook until golden :) Dead easy and SO tasty! Mine was big and could easily feed 4 x

Fab :thumbup: Thank you!I'll let you know how mine turns out xxx

Ooh that pie sounds lovely.

I really need to get looking round for some lunchbox ideas for LO. He eats with me at teatime but he takes a packed lunch to the childminder. I could provide things that need heating etc. but at the moment he just gets little snacky bits or leftovers from the night before because he never really ate but he's really taken off with solids this week so it's time I started making it more exciting for him :D

I'm going to try V pure. :) I like the sound of that pie! Last new yr I made a quorn pie that was similar, delish!!

Hello! :wave:

I have not read all the post so far but will try to catch up soon (when DS is asleep!). I was hoping I could join you all. I decide to become a veggie when I was 3 (my parents are not but my sister was) however I was not a strict veggie at that age since I couldn't exactly read the labels on food. My husband became a veggie while we was together (although no pressure from me, in fact I was quite surprised) and my son Joshua will be one too. My son will be 10 weeks old tomorrow and the plan is to breastfeed him until 6 months but I am keen to try and pick up some recipe ideas with babies in mind before then and be able to talk to people who realise a vegetarian child is perfectly healthy.

I do not have much to say about myself other than I am 25, live with my husband, son, our two Labrador and cat in Derby, England. I should be tarting back (after doing a year of psychology, which was not for me) at Derby University in September, to study English with media writing and then back to my part-time job not long after that. :shrug:

Hope the V pure works for you ladies! It's good stuff. You can give it to your little ones too, just break the capsule open and add it to their food. Only thing is I wish it wasn't so expensive. I can only afford it some of the time - like when I was pregnant and occasionally if I'm feeling rich! Other wise I take flaxseed. It's imported from Switzerland which I think is why it's so pricey. Hopefully if we all start buying it though we can get the price down and maybe encourage them to start a UK based factory. Makes sense to get DHA from algae not fish oil as it's much more sustainable and ethical and there's no risk of contamination like there can be with fish oils.
PS. Have bought a lovely veggie weaning book for LO when we start weaning called vegetarian baby and child recipes by Carol Timperley. Anyone else soon to start weaning a veggie baby?

We're weaning at the moment bubbles but its a slow process as I have a baby who is not much interested in food :dohh:

Are you planning to do BLW or traditional weaning?
xxx

It took Theakston until about a week before his first birthday to eat food properly (rather than chew, spit out or play with or throw it on the floor) and he's still a bit hit and miss but usually eats at least twice a day now.

Ooohhh yay! I found it! =] (just spent AGES looking for this group)

I'm veggie and so is Isaac, so can I join? =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->