Virtual Job- Working moms question

krissie328

Reaction score
So I have no idea where to post this.. but there is an opportunity for me to take a virtual job working with a virtual school.

So it would be a work from home job with travel. Since part of my job requires me to actually physically meet with students (to administer testing as I am a school psychologist) I would have to travel some. I am not sure how much.

I am wondering has anyone worked at home with a toddler? or two? Were you able to cope with both demands.

I think the idea is really appealing but I am not sure if it would really be better.

Although I like the idea of snuggling my baby when hes sick more than sending him to someone else to snuggle.

Unless you can completely organise your work around nap / bed time or get someone in to help with the childcare I can't see how this would work at all. I assume you will actually have to be talking to the students (using Skype or whatever). What happens if your son starts screaming in the background? Do you interrupt your session with the student to deal with him? Doesn't seem very fair on the student.

Might work if you got some sort of mothers helper in and worked in a different room but how would you feel having to continuously send your son away if he wanted you while you're working? I very occasionally work from home while my mother is watching the kids and my oldest (3 years old) continually comes up to see me in the bedroom, which is really tricky if I'm on a call at the time

I wouldn't have to work directly with students a home. But I would have IEP meetings to attend via phone. My mom would watch him a couple days a week. But the days he'd be home I think would be hard.

After more consideration I am not going to apply. Maybe in a few years when my kids are in school and I could focus. But for now I have a good job that I like and can't see throwing that away for an unknown.

Thanks for your input

I'm a bit late to chime in, but maybe this will help re-enforce your decision. I work full-time from home plus some travel. For me, it's the same as if I worked out of the home. I can occasionally get some tasks done when my daughter is with me if they are minor ones that don't require much focus, like responding to email. But I personally don't think it's fair that her days are spent stuck at home with me glued to work when she could be somewhere else doing something fun and making friends and playing outside. So we still use full-time childcare, plus I work some evenings and weekends on top of that, after she's gone to bed or when my husband is around to be with her. I don't feel like her being out of the home and in preschool is anything but positive for our bond, as she's made lovely friends and gets to do so many things that I couldn't do with her if she was home with me while I was working, but I do feel that having her home and trying to balance work and caring for her would damage our bond. It would mean she would be stuck inside and I would be actively ignoring her to get things done and I don't think that's fair. So, yes, I think working remotely from home is a great option if you decide to do it and I personally really enjoy it. But it's still working and in my experience, I need to have the same sort of childcare in place as if I worked on site in an office. It just saves me on commuting and does make it easier to get small household tasks done (like starting the washing or prepping dinner) when I take breaks, so that when my daughter comes home, we're together 100%.

Thanks hun. That was exactly where I had gone with my thinking. I know the demands of my current job would not allow it at all. And this would be the same job but probably a higher caseload.

I think for now staying is the best idea. Like I said I do like my current job so it's logical to stay.

I actually like ds's currently the arrangement, I just wish I had more time with him. But I cannot find less than full time work in my field. Even 4 days a week seems impossible.

It sounds difficult but that doesn't mean it's not possible z

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->