Vitamin B6 - Lengthen luteal phase or increase progesterone

hi, i have a question: so i had a chemical pregnancy a few months ago and i just read that low progesterone could be the problem. im currently taking elevit and was just wondering if i should take a B6 vitamin on top of that or if that would be too much B6 with the elevit im taking. can anyone help??? thanks!!!

Hi everyone! I see lots of new faces! :) yay for more B6 users!!! I'm almost at the end of my cycle, waiting for AF to show her ugly head. Lots of baby dust!!! Come on 2012 babies! :)

Well even if AF arrives today, it looks like the b6 helped extend your LP by at least 2 days. Are you taking b6 alone or in a complex with the other b vits? I am sticking with b50 this month, but will try doubling it next month if I don't see much improvement. I've heard a lit of ladies see success with b100 (and higher).

Well...so far spotting today but maybe just maybe AF wont start until tomorrow and that would be 10 days.

My cycles were 9 and then 7 before that, so 9 is at least as good as the first one. I can't help but be disappointed though :cry:

I am not TTC until the Jan cycle, so maybe Dec will be better (trying to stay positive).

I was taking about 150mg but I am going to up it to 200mg in December.

I think 200 sounds good... Has AF shown up yet?

Before starting progesterone cream, I would talk to a doc. They can do some simple bloodwork to determine if you really are low in progesterone, and they you can take a pill or use a suppository to help extend LP. With a documented LP of 7-9 days, that is a truly short LP and I think no doc will "poo-poo" you - I think they will help you resolve it. Let me know what you end up doing!

Yes, AF showed up...unfortunately. I am not going to do anything at this point, just continue with the B vitamins and hope Dec is better.

We don't start TTC until Jan, so by that cycle there may be some improvement. Or...who knows...maybe 9 days will be fine, there are some women on this and other forums who conceived with 8 and 9 day lP.

The other thing I may try after a few months TTC is soy isoflavone? I would need to do more research but it sounds like it has helped a few ladies with LPD conceive.

Lots to think about!

Hi everyone, just sharing my good news. After 21 months of unprotected :sex: and 3 serious months of actively ttc, tracking daily temperature & taking tons of supplements I finally got my :bfp: today cd32!! I am cautiously pregnant, not telling anyone but my partner and you all. I'm so scared, I'm having AF like cramping, although I've read it's normal. For now I will continue to take B6 100mg, B50 & a small amount of progesterone cream. I am on :cloud9: right now, hoping God lets this beanie stick and I have a healthy 9mth pregnancy & a healthy baby at the end of those months.
B6 definitely works!!

Yay Emma!!!! How long was your LP before b6??? Did it extend at all?? So exciting. How much progesterone cream do you use, and which brand?

So excited for you! Fx it sticks and is an easy breezy 9 mos!!

Yay Emma!!!! How long was your LP before b6??? Did it extend at all?? So exciting. How much progesterone cream do you use, and which brand?

Thanks Daisy :) before B6 my lp was as low as 8 days. I was ttc before last 21 mths but not as seriously as now, so I tracked my temps off & on & saw the lp was short. My lp extended by 4 days at least, these past 3 months! I use Source Naturals Natural Progesterone Cream, once a day after OV and I just put a small lump on my fore finger and massage it onto my abdomen or wrist, the dosage is 1/4 teaspoon so it's about as much as I use :) I got it at Whole Foods Market last cycle.

Thanks for your well wishes, I hope you get your :bfp: soon too I am ecstatic right now :) lots of baby dust!

Oh My Goodness - you were on my journal and didn't mention it!!! Congrats Emmadiva!! That is amazing news. I'm so so so happy for you :happydance:

Have a very happy and healthy 9 months hon x

Off to check up on your journal x

Thanks for all the info! So happy for you! I am taking b50, but might try b100 and/or progesterone cream next month!

Oh My Goodness - you were on my journal and didn't mention it!!! Congrats Emmadiva!! That is amazing news. I'm so so so happy for you :happydance:

Thanks!! I didn't want to post that on your journal, although I did think about it :haha: I'm not thinking straight today lol. I'm so scared though Struth... Happy but scared...

Thanks!! I didn't want to post that on your journal, although I did think about it :haha: I'm not thinking straight today lol. I'm so scared though Struth... Happy but scared...

Would have been more than fine by me to put it on my journal! I love that kind of good news!

And it is completely normal to be scared - completely. I was ridiculously scared - but so excited too! Remember - you ARE pregnant and that is great news. I'm sure as you work your way into it, the scaredness will slowly disappear :hugs:

Thanks Daisy :) before B6 my lp was as low as 8 days. I was ttc before last 21 mths but not as seriously as now, so I tracked my temps off & on & saw the lp was short. My lp extended by 4 days at least, these past 3 months! I use Source Naturals Natural Progesterone Cream, once a day after OV and I just put a small lump on my fore finger and massage it onto my abdomen or wrist, the dosage is 1/4 teaspoon so it's about as much as I use :) I got it at Whole Foods Market last cycle.

Thanks for your well wishes, I hope you get your :bfp: soon too I am ecstatic right now :) lots of baby dust!

Congrats!!!:happydance:

hello all :)

newbie!

was wondering if you could help please. i have normally anything from 28 day -46 day cycles.

I have a longgggg luteal cycles as well. I have had ovulation confirmed with blood tests (day 21) and even though ovulation is confirmed i then dont get my AF till day 46 plus.

i also spot for about 4 days before each AF.

My question ; will B50 complex help stabilize my cycles? and perhaps stop spotting? i am slightly overweight - BMI of 28 so hoping weight loss will reduce cycle and luteal

Thank you soooo much in advance

xxx

My question ; will B50 complex help stabilize my cycles? and perhaps stop spotting? i am slightly overweight - BMI of 28 so hoping weight loss will reduce cycle and luteal

Hello! :hi:

Hmmmm.... I was under the impression that vitamin B6 specifically is recommended to lengthen the luteal phase rather than being a general hormone balancer, so it may not be right for you. Agnus castus is viewed as generally good at balancing hormones, although do a lot of research (from good sources, not just forums) before taking it as it's quite a strong herb.

B6 can supposedly help with spotting... but I guess it might also lengthen your LP further....?

20+ days is an incredibly long LP! Wow! The opposite of me. ;) That must be pretty frustrating.

Have you charted your temperatures/CM/cervix? The only reason I ask is that a single Day 21 progesterone test doesn't give all the information... above a certain level they say you've 'probably' ovulated, but there's a big range so a single test can't tell for sure and doesn't tell you when it happened (multiple tests give a clearer picture).

Good luck! :thumbup:

I agree with 254 - I would look into Agnus Castus aka Vitex aka Chasteberry. B6 is supposed to lengthen the luteal phase, not regulate the cycle.

Also agree with 254 about looking into other methods to confirm ovulation. Long and irregular cycles are generally consistent with anovulatory cycles (but not always). I would look into possibly getting a scan next month to confirm? If your doc will do it of course! I believe they can do scans before O to check on follicle development, and then again right after O to see the ruptured follicle. You will probably need to do OPKs though to determine the right time to go in for a scan.

thank you so much for your replies ladies!!

:friends::friends::friends::friends::friends:

from the research i have done B50 seems to be less invasive than angus - and i am a bit scared that angus might upset my cycles. i am going to take a extra tablet every other day until O at first and see how it goes.

.......what you mention about "knowing" i ovulated rings true. on day 21 the doctor said he believed u had ovulated.

however the opk was high around day 24 and CBFM went from high to low on cd 25 which was after my bloods anyway!!!! so even if i Ov'd on cd 25 thats 16 days ago.....

it makes no sense.

Im going to keep on with CBFM and OPK and try to bd later into my cycles. all the blod tests i have had (and i have had then all but never a scan)- have all come back as being within the usual range.

of note this month i had spotting day 24 - which i NEVER have. I normally have blood in my EWCM for one day of ovulation ( which happened so i thought cd 18).

thanks for your help

xx

I read this whole forum and learned so much from others about b6. I appreciated the help! I am now successfully pregnant so I thought I'd write in and say what worked for me! :)

My situation briefly is I had a missed miscarriage at 8 weeks and ended up naturally miscarrying at 10 weeks. I am 34yrs old so I didn't want to wait long to try again(i waited one full cycle) For the next seven months I had no luck trying to conceive. ...and I was very aware of timing etc. I started charting and learned that my luteal phase was short. I read b6 can help with this so

1. I started taking a b-50 complex everyday starting at the very beginning of my cycle along with my normal prenatal vitamin. The first month of taking it i ovulated on day 14. :)

I also changed my diet. I learned that it is tempting to want to concentrate and "be good" for the second two weeks of your cycle, but the first two weeks are very important because this is when your egg is maturing....and if your egg doesn't fully mature you are not going to get pregnant. So all of these dietary things I did for the entire month. I learned about these dietary changes from a book called The Fertility Diet.

2. No sugar(especially soda) or carbs that can easily be converted to sugar(like white pasta, white bread, etc) - keeping your blood sugar even is very important for fertility. I ate tons of very healthy fruits, vegetables, salmon, whole grains, wheat germ, etc. Interestingly I read b6 helps to regulate your bloodsugar as well.
3. One to Two servings of full fat dairy a day - a little surprising, but they said hormones attach to fat and somehow this is important and low-fat dairy has gone through a process that for whatever reasons seem to decrease fertility...ingredients added to make it look like regular milk, ingredients added to remove fat, etc
4. No caffeine - i just decided to stop even though it seems like its ok in moderation
5. No alcohol - again it seems moderation is ok, but I figured I could deal with not drinking for a month or 10!
6. I also charted and saw those eggwhites and went for it...the next day my temp went up...perfect timing. I read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility to learn how to do it.

Hope this helps someone! I know how frustrating it can be to hope so much every month and be disappointed. Good luck to you all!

I also drank a cup of Red Raspberry tea every day. Drinking tea helped me not crave my coffee and beer!! I drank peppermint tea in the evenings.

Congrats, and thanks for the tips! I need to get back to a healthier diet anyway, and this gives me the extra push I needed. I'm having a hard time giving up caffeine. I've pretty much cut out coffee, but I'm still drinking caffeinated tea or diet coke most days. I know artificial sweeteners can't be good, but what does the book say about them?

Babybabyfever - thanks for the positive story and the tips :flower:

I agree that diet is a HUGE factor in every facet of our health, it is of course what fuels every biochemical reaction in our bodies!

Unfortunately this is a TOUGH time of year to implement these kinds of changes...as I read that I was eating shortbreak :dohh:

But I was also drinking red raspberry lead tea, so maybe it balances out? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->