Waiting and waiting...2016 mommies-to-be!

ashley- glad it went well! hope you have a more enthusiastic reaction with OH's family

krissie-im sorry that he need the additional help but happy that it is available to you. i've had a few moments breaking down when I see how far Charles has to go to catch up. But the therapy really does help and these boys will get there in the end. Our therapist said 90% of her kids are boys- they just tend to be late talkers! What additional concerns did they have in his eval?

It's not always a bad thing to be delayed in speech, I have the world's worst sailor potty mouth little boy because he catches on to EVERYTHING we say immediately and even if we only let it slip once he starts using it indefinitely and says it randomly. :dohh:

Yes Christian's new favorite word is a-s-s. :dohh: It is seriously the only thing he says clear as a bell and he has been saying it nonstop while playing for about three days.

They were concerned with how much of a mouth breather he is. He never closed his mouth during play and breathed through his nose. And he constantly has a runny nose. So we suspect allergies and that could be causing fluid build up in his ears which is causing the delay. But she said since he does have a snore that it could be enlarged adenoids. And since I have a history of late speech development and had to have my adenoids removed and tubes in my ears they wanted it checked out.

He did great on all the other developmental areas such as motor skills. There was a slight elevation for social. But I believe that is because he can't talk to the other kids. I believe if he had a better form of communication he would try because he is so social with adults and his cousin.

When I was five I had a tube put in my right ear but I don't think it's in anymore.

Roxy does try to talk but it all sounds like well baby talk. :haha: She does laugh and smile quite a bit especially when Lindsay plays with her.She even started to wave a few weeks ago and it's so cute! :cloud9:

honestly, I wouldn't care if Charles was picking up bad words if it meant he was talking. i'm just desperate to see him develop those skills because it bleeds into so much more than speaking. it's hard to see him get so frustrated when he can't communicate what he wants/needs and then shut down over it. We went to storytime a couple weeks ago and the difference of where he is and where he needs to be put me in tears the entire way home. Seeing the other kids his age able to interact and grasp the back and forth with the story leader and him want to but not able to and get so frustrated is really really heartbreaking. he talks some (mom,dad,ball,no and uh-huh) and i'm able to communicate and understand what he needs but its because i'm with him all day. others struggle and it alienates him when he is with his peers. i'm thinking this summer of putting him in a pseudo preschool 2 mornings a week to help with this but am afraid it will do more harm than good.

I totally understand but I'm sure he'll pick up a lot on his speech once he turns 2. Liam's speech improved significantly after his 2nd birthday and just keeps getting better and better as he gets older. :hugs:

This is a pretty typical conversation with Liam:

*something doesn't go Liam's way or he gets annoyed/upset/angry*

Liam : "For f**ks sake!"

Me: "Liam don't say that, it's a bad word."

Liam: *sigh* "F**ks sake, Mama." *gives me a dirty look* :wacko:

He can be very cute sometimes though. When he sees me nursing Thea he says "She's hungry, needs food?" and I tell him yes and that she's drinking milk and he gently pets her head and says "Drink the milk, baby". :cloud9: <3

Hahaha...I'm sure its hard in the moment but will be cute looking back on it. And how adorable is he with his sister?? That's what I can't wait for :cloud9:

Thank you for the hugs. Some days are harder than others. I'm learning to not focus on the end goals, which feel overwhelming, but celebrate each small victory. Iblove that feeling of pride that swells up when he gets something he didn't before. Love seeing his face too just being so happy

He is definitely cute with his sister, he loves to pet her head and give her kisses.
Liam is waaay too proud of himself, he's the world's biggest show off and he loves to be the center of attention. I'm afraid he's going to end up being a little arrogant like his dad but at least he's a social butterfly. I can see him being pretty popular in school and having a of friends. It really makes me wonder what Thea is going to be like. I'm hopeful that she'll be a lot like my sister Bella, she's such a sweetie and very mature and well behaved even for an older child, let alone a 7 year old.

Hi! I am not sure how old your son is but I have a 19 month old that doesn't talk either! He says mama, dad, ball, no and maybe a couple other words. He is a very smart boy but just doesn't want to talk.. I think it may be due to his 3 year old brother always answering and talking for him. I did have him checked by a speech therapist and they weren't worried at all about him. They gave me a few ideas to try to get him talking more at home so we have been trying that. So stay positive! On another note, my bf and I will be trying again in May or July for our 4th and final baby! I have 13, 3 and 19 month old boys! Would love a princess but as long as baby is healthy, we will be happy! Anyone else waiting a few months or anyone got their bfp!? O:)O:)

Kaity I know how it feels when you can't understand when someone is trying to communicate with you.My grandma still can't talk from when she had her stroke two years ago so she tries to tell us what she needs/wants but sometimes it's really hard to understand what she means. :nope: Once in a while we can understand what she means but it's too hard more times than not.

How was everyone's St Patrick's Day? Mine was good!

Trickyl- hello! i've added you to our list (second post). I put you in May for now (because it's sooner!) but let me know when you settle on a date for sure and I can move you if needed. How long did it take to conceive your boys? And thank you for the words of encouragement. I know my little guy will catch up, we just need to keep putting the work in now to help him.

Tara- we didn't do a whole lot here. went to my SIL's house this morning for a bit so Charles could play with his cousins. And then just played at the house in the afternoon. What did you do? Sorry that your grandma is still not able to speak from her stroke. Do the doctors think she will improve with time?

My mom and I went to a restaurant near our house. I had a corned beef sandwich and it was sooooo good!

I honestly have no clue what the doctors think because we don't really talk to them. I'm sure the doctors have talked to my grandma about her condition.

Glad you had a nice st Patrick's day meal with your mom! I'm not a fan of corned beef personally

I've never had corned beef. It really doesn't appeal to me. But my dh loves it.

We didn't do anything for St. Patricks. DH had to work all evening so DS and I just hung out. There was a parade but it was cold and windy and I didn't want to be out in that so we didn't go.

It was my dad's bday. I tried to call but I didn't get a response. :nope: He has been really weird the last couple of years, it makes me worried something is going on with him.

Krissie- does your dad live alone? Is there anyone he is in contact regularly with you could talk to and see if they have noticed any behavior changes?

He is married. I want to say this all started after he had a suicidal episode in December 2014. I know him and his wife have a lot of problems and her two boys cause a lot of stress for him. Her counselor also told him he needs to stop talking to my sister because she is causing problems in their marriage. But my understanding is my sister just doesn't like his wife so they both are just nasty to each other. And there has been an incident or two my dad has been venting to her and his wife over heard. I personally get along fine with his wife. But they live about 8 hours away so we rarely see each other.

Could you talk to his wife and see of she has notice d any behavior changes? Or see if she would.be supportive of him seeking counseling? I hope things are alright :hugs:

They both have individual counseling and couples counseling. I also know though he was put on some new meds (including antidepressants which can cause worsening symptoms in some people). I think I will probably try to call her soon. I know she is off on the weekends and he typically works so I might try then so it is less awkward.

We didn't do anything for St. Patrick's Day either even though my heritage is heavily Irish.

Hopefully you'll be able to talk to your dad Krissie.

Anyone have special plans this weekend? I'm probably not doing much since next weekend is Easter so we'll most likely do stuff then.I know Lisa (Lindsay's mom) is having her dinner next Saturday so we'll probably go there and usually we go to my uncle's on Easter Sunday but haven't heard anything about that yet.

Is it just me or has Easter creeped up this year?

krissie- i'm glad they are both in counseling now and I hope the conversation with her goes well. most important is that your dad gets whatever help he may need :hugs:

Tara- my parents are coming up to visit tomorrow for a couple days! We haven't seen them since New Years and I am really excited. Charles is going to LOVE having Grandma and Grandpa here to play with. Now that the weather is turning nice, we will be able to see them more (its a 3.5 hour drive so during winter we dont see each other much). Sounds like you will have a nice time at Lindsey's moms house and your uncles! We usually go to my SIL's for an egg hunt and dinner. Our church is under construction this year so they are moving easter services to a local high school. i think instead we will go with my in laws to their service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->