Waiting for AF after M/C, anyone else? OCBM

Alt - Not to worry. I know plenty of people who didn't feel proper movement until 20-21 weeks so I'm sure you'll be feeling it relatively soon! Do you have much of a bump yet? :)

Wonderful news Diana!

Good luck Bright!

Lindsay - She wants to induce due to age and GD.

Well today I am not too happy because my coworker (the first person in my company to ever take maternity leave) went back to work this week and my company demoted her and put her on probation because she asked to come back part time. They acted like this was totally fine but once she came back they used it as leverage to push her out of a job, stating they didn't have to comply with labour standards for returning her to her current position because technically she wasn't coming back to the same position since she came back part time. Wow. All said in done, she is no longer working there. I cannot afford to not work so looks like I will have to return to work full time so that they have no legal ability to get rid of me right away. Of course, they will probably try to push me out after I have been back long enough that they think they can get away with it. so basically I have to start thinking about ways we can survive if I lose my job. Really upsetting news and the only thing that I was consoling myself with before was that I would probably be going back part time. :( Sorry...just needed to rant. It is just so unfair.

Hi everyone!
Just checking in to say hello to everybody.

Lit - so sorry about your work situation. A similar thing happened to me when I returned to work after DS1 I reduced my hours from full time to 2 days a week, as did another colleague who returned to work a couple of months before me. You have no automatic right to return to work part time after maternity leave, but you do have the right to ask for flexible working and this has to be considered seriously by your employer. The lady who returned to work before me was told that working part time was no good for the needs of the business and that only her original position was available to her. She wasn't that bothered about returning and so resigned, I guess she didnt need the money. I did need the money however, and fought my case when they tried to do the same to me. I contacted my union who helped me to know my rights and come to a compromise with my employer. Do you have a union you can ask advice from? Are you able to go back to work full time? So sorry its put you in a stressful place, as if going back to work isnt hard enough for the first few months! I hope you are able to work something out xxx

Just a little update, Oscar is great, weighs a whopping 10.5kg already and is in 9-12 clothes which are snug! We have started him on some purees but he isnt too bothered, just love his milk! He is sitting for a small amount of time unaided, and is such a happy little boy. Sleeps well, thats all I will say as I know how frustrating it is for those of you who arent getting sleep (DS1 was a baby that NEVER slept, so I am eternally grateful for Oscar!) He is full of giggles and really just goes with the flow. Which is great as his brother is a strong willed little monster right now. He also loves the Jumperoo!
We are going on holiday to Disney land next month and can't wait, although am worried about the size of the place with a 3 year old and nearly 8 month old. But either way it will be an experience!

Alt 17 weeks already! Ohh my goodness me! Im sure it hasn't flown for you but wow that seems to have raced by.
Chryss so close now, are you all ready?
Lindsey -my DS1 weighed similar to Rowan at that age, he was always slender even though he ate like a horse, hes always been so active. Hes still a little smaller than most of his classmates now, but not the smallest. So they all catch up in the end.
Blue - Oscar also had bronchiolitis over Christmas and had a little inhaler to help him. Was so scary. But they seem to recover quickly. Hopefully it was just a one off!

Hope everyone else is well.

Love to everyone and the little people, and the new people. Thinking of you all.
Lots of love x x x x x

Lit - aw love! That sounds rubbish! As ljs says do you have a union you can go to? :hugs: when are you due to go back? Also sorry to hear Nevadas sleep still troublesome. Still having issues here too. I got 3 hours last night - partly my own fault for going out till 1am :haha: but elka more difficult to settle at night now. I'm assuming something's happening. I feel v paranoid at the mo now too as I got her up in the night 2 nights ago and she was COVERED in vomit. It was just awful - she was fast asleep so didn't seem to bother her but I dunno - it was just quite excessive

LJ! Good to hear from you! Glad to hear little oscars sitting up - really feels like that's when they start being a wee person x

LJ - Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I actually wrote you a really long reply the day you posted, but then it mysteriously disappeared and I've been too frustrated to re-type it since then! But to sum it up...

No, my workplace is not unionized. In some ways I like this but it definitely doesn't help the situation in this case. I know that they aren't obligated to allow us to work part-time, but the annoying thing is that my employer made it seem like it would be NO problem for her to return part time and didn't indicate any sort of issue. So to then use it against her when she returned was pretty rotten. I technically CAN work full time, but the thought of it makes me so depressed that I cannot even function. I don't like the idea that someone else would be spending more time with my own child than I would be (and I know some people have to or even want to work full time with kids and I completely respect that; it just is NOT for me)! I have done a lot of thinking over the last few days since hearing this news. My DH suggested asking them directly what sort of terms and conditions they would put on me if I were to return part-time (and if they would even be willing), and at the time I was overly emotional and felt my employer was out to get me so there would be no way they would be honest. However, the thought of working full-time is actually so repugnant to me that I am coming around to the idea that DH might be right and I might just have to have an honest conversation with them. Plus, if they write back and tell me there would be NO disadvantages/tacked on conditions to me returning part time, then at least I have that in writing so if they did try to pull one over on me when I returned, I would really have a leg to stand on when I fought it. Also, if they tell me the only way I can come back to a secure position is to work full time, then at least I will know for sure. Sigh.

The thought of it really breaks my heart and I do hope we can come to some sort of agreement. They can't pretend that they NEED my position to be full-time, because they didn't even replace me during my maternity leave. I really think they just want to get rid of all people who take maternity leave because it is inconvenient for them to accommodate us for leave and pregnancy, etc. Extremely NOT okay of them, but since my co-worker didn't fight it, they're even more likely to try to get away with it in the future. Like you, I actually *need* to work so don't have the luxury of just quitting like your co-worker did (and mine)! I am so glad you fought it and got your way in the end! Your situation gives me hope, and I'm thankful you shared that with me. :)

Oscar sounds just delightful! Nevada is a big baby as well, although she doesn't weigh quite as much as Oscar! She is 21.5 lb (9.75 kg) and 29" long so she is actually wearing 12-18 month clothes already! :haha: We were at the doctor today and apparently both her height and weight are off the charts, so there is no percentile for her anymore (I guess...100th percentile! haha). Nevada has been exactly the same way with solids, although we just started yesterday. She LOVES her milk but she was absolutely disgusted when we gave her carrots. Now if she even SEES a carrots she makes a revolted face and clamps her mouth shut. Hopefully both Oscar and Nevada will start liking solids a bit better soon. I'm very happy he sleeps well for you, especially since your first was such a bad sleeper! I really hope my next baby is a better sleeper too. :winkwink:

I hope you enjoy your trip to Disneyland! I'm sure it will be very busy but I hope you can still relax and have a lot of fun!! Thanks so much for updating!

Linny - As I mentioned to LJ above, no, unfortunately my company is not unionized so I have no help in that regard. If they try to do something similar to me, I would have to make a complaint to the Labour Board and take them to court, I guess. A lot of trouble, which is probably why my co-worker didn't bother.

That sounds awful about Elka's sleep (although I'm the same way with going to bed way too late and then being so tired the next day). It's really too bad Elka has been sleeping worse! And absolutely awful that she woke up covered in vomit! Have you taken her to the doctor recently? It seems like she is getting an excessive amount of stomach bugs. :( Nevada has started doing what you mentioned Elka doing a while ago. On top of all her other wake-ups, she has also been waking up just to babble, hum, and whack her arms up and down in the middle of the night. It is so annoying! The other night she was up for 1.5 hours doing that! I finally got up with her because she started to fuss (before that she was totally content) and she ended up burping and falling back asleep. So I wonder if a trapped burp woke her up? It was so bizarre because I haven't burped her in the night in months...so I never even thought of that.

Really hope you are finally at the end of all the illnesses!

Oh, and I have a question! I only ask you because you seem to have researched sleep a lot. I know it's common for babies to wake up at the end of a sleep cycle if they don't know how to put themselves back to sleep. However, is there any reason they should have trouble transitioning from light to deep sleep? During naps, Nevada always wakes up after 30 minutes. Most of the time we can get her back to sleep and she is fine, but if the conditions aren't just right she will just stay awake and be very tired until her next nap. Once she has passed the 30 minute mark she is fine and definitely gets her deep sleep. I'm just confused why she has such issues transitioning into deep sleep.

It sounds bad, but I am practically giddy right now because Nevada had her vaccines today and has now been napping for nearly 3 hours (and yes, I checked on her and she's fine)!!! She had only a 15 minute nap earlier because of the timing of her doctor's appointment, so I am just letting her sleep and enjoying every second of it. ;) Buahaha.

How is everyone else? I just love hearing the updates.

Hey lit - that's rubbish. I agree that sounding then out before you return is a good idea. At least if you know you can make plans/find alternatives? things are settling down with sickness a bit now. Since I started feeding elka at night again I'm trying to gently wean her from it again. She was waking 2 or 3 times a night again and taking over 32oz of milk a day as a result. Not helping the diarrhea situation. Ugh. First night I tried to go cold turkey with just water and I thought it was going ok and then she really started screaming at 3 am . Tried everything. Walking round, pacifier etc. so decided to do the thing where you gradually add a bit of water to the formula each night and wait a bit later to feed too (you just hold them/rock them etc to keep them calm and put off feeding an extra 15 or so mins each night) its hard work!! But we're back down to just 1 wake up. Fingers crossed! It's do tempting just to feed and put back down but now I'm back at work it's not tenable long term.

Re:30 mins. As far as I can tell that's right after the deep sleep stage. The last 15 mins seems to be coming back into lighter sleep. it going to either be over tiredness/under tiredness or else food. I tend to top elka up before a nap and this will usually push her to 1:30. Though she's also been doing 30 mins at nursery recently too so maybe something's changing there. What's Nevadas avg wake time? maybe she's ready for slightly longer? You mentioned the third nap isn't always working out? Perhaps ready to drop it? Elka's on 2 now and has been for a good month or more.

I'll also say - when I first dropped her nap and had to get her to go longer awake she was v irritable but she seemed to get used to it pretty quickly. There were lots of well timed walks (no catnapping allowed!) and visits to play groups to keep her entertained

Sayer Brecht arrived at 3:56 pm on 2/12, weighing 7 lb 10 oz and measuring 21 inches long. We are all so in love with him!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 8
Hurray Cryss!!!! He's beautiful! Congratulations! Was everything according to plan? X

Congrats Crys! What a cutie pie he is! Love the name. :) hope you are getting a bit of rest and tons of newborn cuddles!

Huge congrats Crys, Sayer is beautiful!!! I hope you are all doing well :)

Blue, how is Asiah doing? I hope the christening went well and you are settled back at home :)

Alt, I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you!! I hope the sickness stays away!. Looking forward to hearing about your 20 week scan :)

Linny, I'm really glad to hear that your transition back to work went well for both you and Elka. I hope she gets a break from colds/flu/tummy bugs soon! I am back to work March 25. My mother in law will be looking after Rowan when I'm at work. I've been taking him over there more frequently lately so he'll get used to being at her place, napping there, etc. He is really a mommy's boy though, he doesn't want to be left with anyone other than DH or my mom. I"m sure he'll adjust, it will just take some time. He's funny, he doesn't even like strangers looking at him these days - he makes this funny face and starts whining.

LL, don't worry about the solids, Rowan hated food when we started and now he LOVES it!! I really think he wasn't actually ready for solids until 7.5 - 8 months. If DH and I have another baby, I am not going to worry so much about solids. I think they take to it in their own time. I hope Nevada's sleep will improve for you soon. Rowan has been sleeping amazingly well the last couple weeks, now I just need to train myself to sleep again too. I'm still waking up many times each night and not a peep out of Rowan. I'm really sorry to hear about your work situation - I agree, an honest conversation with them about the implications of going down to part time, seems like a good way forward. At least that way you know what to expect.
Our date went really well thanks :) My mom and dad looked after Rowan for 5 hours, he went down for a nap for them with no problem, and even drank the EMB I left from his cup. According to my mother, he drank it very quickly and would have taken more, so I'm much less worried about getting milk into him when I go back to work. Since then, DH has also put him down for a nap a few times when I've been out (and given him milk from his straw cup) with no problem, so we're getting there.

LJ's, it's lovely to see an update from you and I'm glad to hear everything is going so well. I too, am happy to hear that your second baby has been such a good sleeper - after having so much difficulty with Rowan's sleep I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever sleep again if we decide to have another baby, lol. It's good to hear a positive story :)

AFM, Rowan is finally sleeping (at least for now, lol)! The last couple weeks he's been going from about 7 pm - somewhere between 4:30 - 6:30 am and then up for a feed and back to sleep until around 8ish. He's also started doing some baby sign back to us (he does "more", "help" and "all done") and will say "bup" when he want's up, lol, it's very cute. He sure keeps us busy though, he is such an active little guy. I find myself looking forward to his nap times so I can sit down for a few minutes!

Lots of big babies in this thread! Rowan is still fitting very easily into his 6 - 9 month clothing, haha. At least he's eating well now though so I'm not too worried.

Linny - thanks for your thoughts on the sleep thing. She doesn't usually only have a 30 minute nap but it seems to be a transitional time because her eyes always fly open at that time. For the most part she falls back asleep and has about a 1.5 hour nap but at times if there is a noise or distraction right then she will wake up and not be able to get back to sleep so it seems like a fragile time for some reason. She is down to 2 naps now I would say (aside from the rare day). Her wake time increases throughout the day so 2-2.5 hours in the morning, then 3ish hours til her second nap and then 3.5ish hours before bed as long as she sleeps long enough. It is amazing how they can suddenly handle such long wake times but Nevada is doing very well with the two naps as long as no cat naps happen.

Lindsay - Rowan sounds like such a delight! I love that he knows how to say "up" now and I'm happy to hear the baby sign is going well! :) How fun to get to the stage where he can start to communicate a bit more clearly. I am excited for Nevada to start saying words on purpose. Right now she babbles all day long but she hasn't quite connected the dots on what her words mean yet haha.
I am so glad your date went well and that your DH has been successful in getting Rowan down for naps without you! It is good to get practice before you go back to work. My DH has gotten really good at getting Nevada to nap as well, so that's good. Nevada is the same with really wanting ME at all times and only liking to be with DH or my mom, but I am sure Rowan will get used to your MIL very quickly. It's awesome he can at least be with family! And such good news that he took your milk from a cup so well when your mom watched him!

I'm glad Rowan's sleep has improved so much! That does sound quite good (although I'd imagine that one wake-up still isn't fun because it never is)! I hope your body will let you sleep soon!! I also really hope our next baby sleeps way better than Nevada does. It seems like everyone else I know's babies sleep well so maybe The bad sleep thing won't happen to us twice. :p

Rowan's high energy sounds fun but tiring! Nevada is getting a lot more mobile these days and is starting to get into trouble as a result. She army crawls everywhere (and is also very close to a real crawl) and the other day she managed to remove the register vent from the wall, get my slippers in her mouth, find every wire/cord on the main floor (only a mild exaggeration), and started pulling herself up on a rickety book shelf! So I really have to watch her closely! But at the moment (I know it won't last) it's actually more relaxing because she will play on the floor for HOURS and doesn't require so much holding. :)

Did anyone do anything for Valentine's Day? We didn't but I am hoping we might get a date soon-ish. :) Would love to hear from blue, teacup, alt, Sara, Mrs W, bright, Kim, Sabster and everyone else on here too!

Aaaargh cried no way! Cant believe it was that time already!!! Huge congratulations to you and your family. He is beautiful. So happy for you xxx

Sorry i cant keep up these days. Will try soon. Asiah is not well again. Really think she meeds an inhalor but not getting anywhere. Had antibiotics now and nothing. So long nights and a grumpy baby xxx

Oh no, blue! That must be really rough and stressful. Is there another Dr you could see who might listen to you better? You sound like you have your hands full. Hope Asiah starts feeling better soon!

Lindsay - Ah yeah we've started to notice the stranger danger with Elka recently. Not with everyone but some people she instantly screams if she sees them - it's really quite bizarre! It tends to be people who look very different to the people she's accustomed to seeing - so redheads elicit a very strong reaction. Women with bright lipstick is also a disaster. :haha: - I feel sorry for the people she does it to.

So great to hear Rowan is signing now! And sleeping better!! I'm thinking I need to get more serious about teaching Elka signing as she has started to shout - a lot, very very loudly. It's either excitable or sort of angry? generally I can distract her with some toy or other but it is really fraying my nerves especially in public. I feel like if she could communicate with me through sign then life would be a lot quieter :haha:

Lit - So good to hear Nevada's moving about now! Have you baby-proofed the place? Elka still not moving yet - she can kind of get on her hands and knees but can't move from there. She tries really hard bless her but it just ain't happening yet. I am guessing her height and weight are slowing her down at the mo.

Blue - Ah god that sounds rough love! Hope she's feeling better soon. :( xx

As for us - Elka finally sleeping through again. I was feeding her at 12, 2/3 and 5 after her being ill and she just continued to wake once she got better - it was really causng me problems as i get up for work at 7 so after the 5 wake up i wasn't falling back to sleep. So I decided to try and night wean her - It's the method where you take a baseline of how many oz they take at each wake up and then every other night you dilute it with a bit more water (If you're breastfeeding you just reduce it by a minute every other night). I wasn't terribly hopeful but it worked! With no tears, no drama, nothing. It took 5 days - i'd got to 1oz formula and 3 oz water - and she just stopped waking up!?! Amazing. I kept the 12 feed as i didn't want it to be too drastic. It's been 2 nights so obviously i can't declare it cracked for good just yet but anyway - i'm grateful for 2 solid nights of sleep....naturally i woke up anyway wondering what was happening :haha: but much easier to fall back to sleep if not feeding.

Linny - we haven't quite baby proofed yet. We bought a baby gate and outlet covers but haven't actually installed them yet. Need to do that very soon!
I'm sure Elka will get moving in her own time! My friend's baby (8 months) also got on hands and knees but never tried to move that way... But he is already walking with assistance! So I guess he is much more interested in walking than crawling which I know you've mentioned about Elka before. Plus, I think anywhere between 7-9 months is normal to start crawling so it could happen any time!

Great job on weaning Elka off of nighttime feeds! That's awesome it worked so well and so quickly! I would imagine you'd be deathly tired with that many wake-ups and then getting up for a full day's work yet! At least I get to sit around like a zombie every morning! Hehe. Hopefully she gets rid of the midnight feeding soon too and you can get a proper night's sleep for once! :)

Bright - hey there. Any updates for us?

Sorry its late but Congratulations Cryss! So excited to have another little boy join this lovely thread! Hope you are both doing great and having wonderful newborn snuggles....x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->