Washing old and new diapers together?

Nazz4

NTNP
Reaction score
So I have gotten some new OS cloth diapers, but after doing research I realize the OS diapers usually do not fit a newborn so I went on ebay and bought a lot of used 12 newborn gDiapers and 6 size small gDiapers. I am wondering if I can wash all the diapers I have together, or if I should wash the new ones separate from the used ones? I tried googling this, but couldn't really find a clear answer. Anyone know? Thanks.

I'm assuming you're going to strip the used ones? I just got a bunch yesterday and my task for today was to strip them to within an inch of their lives for my own peace of mind as some of them had stains and they were pretty dingy looking.

Anyway, the new ones do not need to be stripped, just washed per regular diaper routine to get the chemicals off. So for their first wash, I would wash separately but after that they'd all be washed together.

Edited to add: I'm also sunning my diapers to help with the bleaching/whitening somewhat (was just about to write a thread about it actually ;))

yes I was going to strip them, didn't know if I should wash and then strip, or strip and then wash or just strip... idk. Too many options with cloth! And I am going to try sunning also because the person said there are stains on a couple of the diapers. Guess I have a lot of laundry to do lol (I also got a few bamboo inserts and one bamboo diaper and I know those need to be done separate and like 4 times initially also)... what have I gotten myself into :dohh: :haha:

Lol I know what you mean :)

I can tell you what I did and maybe it will help you with the used diapers? I bought some Fuzzibunz one-size elite, so microfiber pockets with a PUL lining on the shell. I put about one teaspoon of dishsoap in one bucket of hot water, and one in another bucket of hot water and soaked the diapers and pockets separately overnight. I added about 1/2 cup of peroxide in with the pockets. In the morning I went over the pockets with a toothbrush, emptied the old water, refilled with hot, let sit for another couple hours. The diapers I brushed with a toothbrush and a little more soap, some of the really tough stains I used some regular Tide. Let sit for about 30 minutes then washed in hot water and rinsed until I saw no more bubbles. The stains were gone, now they're just a little dingy. Pockets I then washed until the bubbles disappeared.

If you do anything close to this debacle, you will not need to do any combination of strip-wash wash-strip lol. Just the strip will do :)

I was thinking with the used ones I would strip (using the machine wash) put baking soda in the wash cycle and then vinegar in the rinse cycle. I am not sure if I would then have to wash them normally after this though? I guess I would? idk... :shrug:

Or I think you are supposed to wash them normally first and THEN strip them... ugh, too much thinking!

I suppose it would depend on your stripping method then? I've only used this method and the full dose of detergent method.

Perhaps someone else here will have some better tips :)

Honestly I don't know why you would jump into stripping them with no evidence that they needed it. Give them a normal nappy wash (less than normal detergent and a couple of extra rinses) at 60 degrees. If the water seems really bubbly or they smell musty once they've been washed and you warm them slightly (put them in the warm sun or tumble dry just inserts - no PUL or outers - on low heat for a couple of minutes), then you should strip them but most nappies won't need it. Stripping doesn't get rid of stains - if you're doing it to remove stains, just wash them and leave them in the sun or use a little stain remover sparingly and rinse it out thoroughly.

The wash at 60 degrees will kill any bacteria in the nappies... if you're worried, use a little cloth safe sanitiser but I wouldn't bother. If they smell of detergent when you get them and it doesn't wash out straight away then I'd strip them but otherwise I'd just wash normally first. No point washing time, effort, water, electricity etc.

You can wash old and new together but I wouldn't wash all of the new ones, especially as you don't think they'll fit from birth. Wash one or two, use your newborn nappies first, try out the new ones as LO grows into them then wash the rest when you know they work for you or return/resell as new if they don't work.

I would always strip preloved nappies, just to make sure I am starting with totally fresh nappies with no possibility of build up. (Similarly I always strip before I sell).

I would avoid using vinegar in the wash, as I believe it isn't very good for nappies. There are lots of strip wash methods out there...I guess it's a case of finding one which you think would work well for you.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->