Weaning(again) and my HV

AP

Reaction score
Right, thats it - I've had enough! I'm gonna do it!

I am disturbed, I think the HV hasn't a scooby doo about preemies and its doing my head in.

Shes adamant I dont wean Alex until 6 month corrected. But all you girls seem to have done it at actual age and now Alex little friend is on baby rice too.

I dont want alex to miss out on any opportunity to thrive and get bigger.

Anyone got any advice. Should I just do it? And what do I say to the HV? I told her Bliss recommend it on actual age and she thought she was better to dismiss this and throw that advice out the window!

I dont get it - I see other babies (full term) being weaned early so why arent their HV's saying anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say do it! I weaned Molly early (17 weeks actual age) and it was the best thing Ive ever done! Up to you what you say to the HV. Mine didnt have a clue about preemies so I just told her that Molly's consultant had recommended to wean her - the truth.

Maybe best thing I've ever doen is a slight exageration. I think maybe having MOlly, getting married etc were a bit better :rofl:

I agree hun, is Alex under the care of a paediatrician, I was initially told by GP to wait til corrected 6 months as we started weaning few weeks early but he was all bunged up so stopped then consultant was concerned about his weight and wanted him weaned asap. Its whats best for you and Alex if you think she is ready you know her best and you'll soon know if its not. HV in general dont seem to have a clue about premmies :dohh: x

Do it. Our HV said 6 months corrected, then switched it to 6 months actual, we did it at 4 and a half months actual as Abby didn't seem to be happy with just milk. We got her started on baby rice once a day and she did fine. I told the health visitor we had started and she said "oh, I'd wait if I were you" I said "well, we decided not to" she just said "oh well" and carried on to the next topic.

If you want to do it and you think Alex is ready for it, just do it. And just tell your health visitor you are doing it because that is what the current advice for premature babies says. If she gets arsey, throw her out and get another HV!

Foo.... I just luv you to bits you have such an amazing approach :flower: x

..our foo's no shy! :rofl:

I think I will let alex have tastes and i will pull up the HV on Wednesday.

It just gets me worried because everyone else done it and say their LO's certainly benefited.

I agree :thumbup: start her off. . .you're the mummy, and contrary to what the HV's think :winkwink: I maintain you know best.

Having said that, I weaned Brooke at about 4.5/5 months corrected I think? and its done absolutly ZILCH for her weight gain :dohh:

There's always one eh. . . :haha:

Good Luck whatever you decide. . .cant wait to see some pics!! xx

Matthew so far not really gained but its def helped him with noise, speech, coordination etc He hapily eats finger foods and chews away its amazing how quick babys take to it x

Foo.... I just luv you to bits you have such an amazing approach :flower: x

..our foo's no shy! :rofl:

My momma didn't raise no fool....:thumbup:

I think I will let alex have tastes and i will pull up the HV on Wednesday.

It just gets me worried because everyone else done it and say their LO's certainly benefited.
In terms of weight gain, Abby's was starting to tail off but has come back now she is on two solid meals a day.

If you wanted to start her on rice, that worked for us. It got her used to the spoon and the chewing. We quickly moved to purees (have you seen my vid on facebook of her first puree? Face is a picture!!). Ella's kitchen do a great range of fruit and veg purees. We used them to find out what she liked best then I started making my own. The pouches are quite cheap, but after two days opened need to be thrown out, so I suggest freezing half of it when you first open it as you won't finish one in two days at first.

Matthew so far not really gained but its def helped him with noise, speech, coordination etc He hapily eats finger foods and chews away its amazing how quick babys take to it x
Aye - he does the noise well! A chatty wee soul!

Am in week 4 of weaning my LO and it is going well, it seems she only likes basic flavours broccoli and carrots. Strange as she takes so many medicines...
Anyway my HV told me to start weaning Emily at 31 weeks when she was 7.5 months actual, so leave it as long as possible, however my paeditirician said as she was taking so much milk 7 bottles in a 12 hour period, I should consider weaning her 24 weeks or slightly earlier.

I followed the advise of her paeditrician as he knows best. I don't think HV know a lot about premmies.

I only give two meals 1oz of puree each feed and then she has four bottles on top consisting of 6ozs throughout the day...thank god she is only down to 4 bottles now as having to feed her every two hours was getting down.

In terms of weight gain I have not seen significant increases just the usual half a pound a week.

I think you know when your LO is ready...

Aye - he does the noise well! A chatty wee soul![/QUOTE]

You saying ma boys LOUD............

Aye your right, he is :-$ x

Ladies, am I right in presuming that you waited until your babies could hold their heads up, before you started weaning? (as this seems to be the advice)

I asked our Outreach Midwife about weaning and she reckoned six months corrected, but I'm also of a mind to try earlier (about six months actual) but only if it's safe, hence my question above. I've got a paediatrician appt at the start of January, so I might ask her. Don't suggest the Health Visitor - I haven't even seen her since Andrew came home.

My mum said she started me on purees at just three weeks (but I wasn't a preemie) because my older brother was weaning at the same time.

You know how I feel about this - GO FOR IT! Your bubba will LOVE it!

Good luck with what ever you do hun xxxxx

I've just read the BLISS booklet and I see that they don't even suggest waiting until baby can hold its head - you can pad with a headhugger or towel! I'll definitely ask the Paediatrician about this, as I really think that it'll help his growth rate. Might even try him with a pureed veg at Christmas just to see!

Now somewhere on tinternet I found a week-by-week guide to suggested foods for weaning, must go find that again.

At 9 months Matthew still to small for his highchair and flopps to one side, we either feed him sitting in his bumbo (which is great) or put a towel underneath him in his car seat, once you try it you'll never look back. Good luck x

Well Oh went out this morning and bought bowls, rice, spoons etc. Hes excited. LOL!

Will try today!

I've only just read this (I wanted to be nosy and see how you guys were getting on). Anyway, you're completely correct, 100%!

Alex has been having milk for longer than a baby that would've been born at term. If you think she's ready for it, weaning is one of the things that's fine to do at actual age instead of corrected age. Developmentally, you may notice that she meets a lot of her milestones at her corrected age, but weaning is fine to be done by actual age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->