Weaning at 3 months

Wow, some of these responses are harsh! In no way do I condone early warning, ds 1 weaned at 26 weeks, and then it was a slow process, however, not to be judgemental, but factual, my thoughts are below.

- formula milk gives a baby ALL the nutrients they need up ton1 year, so "food" is about a learning experience, not to fill them up, or give them the vitamins they need to grow.

- as previous post suggested, early weaning used to be advised in places where breastfeeding was not possible, and, formula not readily available

-Yes, you can find evidence to back up almost anything these days, but, there is STRONG evidence now that suggests early weaning does cause digestive problems later in life.

Just my thoughts :)

My eldest was weaned at 15 weeks. He's almost 7, loves food, has NO problems. Coop is 2, the dr/health visitor told us to wean at 17 weeks. My youngest is 6 months and started having food a month ago. You do what YOU feel is right, you're their mother, nobody else. If anybody else spoke to me as harshly as these people have spoke to you, I'd tell them to shove it. Yeah their are guidelines etc but I'm 25, was weaned by 3 month. My husband is 28, on 3 meals a day by 3 months and we are perfectly healthy!

Wow, I forgot I posted this a while ago! Thanks for the lovely responses. You'll be pleased to know both HV and Dr have supported my decision to wean as my sons calorie intake was out of control on milk and he was putting on far too much weight, and had gone right up off the scale. He is now healthy, gaining weight as he should, digestion perfect and 16 weeks. And his reflux has gone. Thanks to those who agree that as his mother I know best. Clearly, in this case, I did. Not every baby is the same. Even my HV admitted she was wrong when she had told me to wait til 6 months.

:nope: no helping some people. Let's hope he's one of the lucky ones.

Wow, I forgot I posted this a while ago! Thanks for the lovely responses. You'll be pleased to know both HV and Dr have supported my decision to wean as my sons calorie intake was out of control on milk and he was putting on far too much weight, and had gone right up off the scale. He is now healthy, gaining weight as he should, digestion perfect and 16 weeks. And his reflux has gone. Thanks to those who agree that as his mother I know best. Clearly, in this case, I did. Not every baby is the same. Even my HV admitted she was wrong when she had told me to wait til 6 months.

Babies with reflux IMO can be an exception, taking in massive milk amounts and chucking liquid up, overfeeding with a burning throat, etc. That is probably what happened here. Glad to hear baby is doing well.

I tried this with my oldest (severe reflux) but it got worse. Worth a try though.

This both upsets and frustrates me :nope:

For those saying ' I was weaned/I weaned my baby young' etc, it's a ridiculous thing to say. It's not like the second food touches your lips, you immediately develop a problem.

The effects of early weaning will most likely not been seen until very late into life. You cannot say with any conviction that it has done no harm as you have no idea what is in store for them/you as time progresses.

Your poor baby.

Well I'm glad you're ok and went with your gut. I didn't comment on this to start a debate, I just wanted to give support. Everyone has their own way of doing things, there's no point judging.
I have my way of doing things, you have your way of doing things, and so does every other lady on here. But again I'm glad everything's ok.

Good for you! It sounds like you have made an informed decision.

I was a poster that said I didn't agree with early weaning earlier on this thread but you really seem to have made a considered choice. Ignore the Mommy police and do what you feel is right for YOUR baby.

Really! I'd be so surprised if your dr did support your decision, in my opinion this sounds like a lie to cover yourself against the backlash you have received. You sound very naive about what you have done. I hope your baby will not suffer long term effects.

Really! I'd be so surprised if your dr did support your decision, in my opinion this sounds like a lie to cover yourself against the backlash you have received. You sound very naive about what you have done. I hope your baby will not suffer long term effects.

Considering her son had Reflux, I highly doubt it is a lie. though its not recommend, there are many highly educated people that at around 14-17 weeks will suggest early intervention of food with a reflux baby depending on what things they have already tried it. Though this isn't common, and most reflux can be contained by other things, medications, even chiro care, its not that simple for all babies..

So before you call someone a liar, how about you talk to someone in the medical field, and instead of one person, multiple.

OP just conveniently forgot to mention the reflux until she recieved all the back lash.

He original post is squat all to do with reflux and everything to do with "my baby drinks far too much milk so I'm going to shove food down his throat."

There are many alternatives to cope with reflux most are which can be very successful if correctly explored. Weaning should always be the very very last resort.

Just reading this makes me feel a bit sad. So many people have decided to have a bit of a 'rant' at the OP, and used this thread as a way to vent their personal feelings about early weaning. Bit uncalled for in my opinion.

I must say, I do think 3 months (just 12 weeks!) IS very early (sorry OP) but parenting is bloody hard, and a complete minefield. Parents feel desperate at times and maybe OP felt LO would sleep better, be more content etc etc I don't know, just guessing. Of course, lots of people find that weaning actually makes their Los sleep WORSE initially, but many suddenly get a baby that sleeps through on a full tummy. All are different.

I was told by a Midwife in hospital, that SOME of the warnings on labels are simply there because the organisations involved had to cover a lot of bases, and my HV told me that things like putting rusks in babies bottles (a BIG NO NO) was actually recommended still by some HV's as they had only seen good results. Each to their own. As long as no-one is endangering MY child, then I see no reason to verbally attack anyone.

Hopefully the OP's LO has taken ok to weaning and doesn't suffer any adverse reactions as a result of the timing of it. Personally, if I had posted something like this, and had the responses the OP had, I'd be saying "Who the bloody hell are you to judge me!"

Not advocating early weaning in any way, I waited until 6 months with DD1 and am just starting at 5.5 months with DD2 but constructive posts are useful. Angry ones are not.

I tend to base the tone of my replies on the tone of the OP.

I'm not surprised in the slightest that a thread started by saying that widely accepted guidelines are "flimsy rubbish pushed by the breastfeeding alliance" hasn't spurred the kindest responses.

Bit harsh to call someone a liar on here?

I tend to base the tone of my replies on the tone of the OP.

I'm not surprised in the slightest that a thread started by saying that widely accepted guidelines are "flimsy rubbish pushed by the breastfeeding alliance" hasn't spurred the kindest responses.

I do understand that you have your feelings on this. I am surprised to see however that the overwhelming majority of posters don't seem to be able to respect the OP's views too. My view is that you should not wean early but I feel this post has turned into something of an attack. Thats how it all reads from the perspective of a new reader.

The key word in your response was respect. If you say things in a respectful way then you are bound to get helpful replies. Starting a post with offending people is not really going to help is it?

Also this is the internet. You put a thread out there, expect to get all sorts of replies and not just ones you want to hear. You need thick skin on a public forum. Especially when talking about babies as everyone will have their own opinion. Nice or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->