weaning at 4 months to do or not to do???

Status
Not open for further replies.

miami8312

Mom of 2 and bump
Reaction score
My baby is only 11 weeks so way to early but I was just wondering when did you all start weaning your Lo's?? With my 1st I started her at 4 months and that was 9 years ago,there wasnt really any signs to say she was ready I just tried her and she took to it,but now all I hear is you cant wean them till they are 6 months. Whats the difference from now and back 9 years ago?? I've read all things saying babies kidneys are not developed enough at 4 months and it could cause allergies, so why say from 4 months on the jar?? I was going to start my baby at 4 months just with a bit of baby rice and take it from there,but now im not so sure. Has anyone got any advice??

The guidelines have changed due to new research but the companies that make the baby food didn't have to change their packaging so they still say 4 months to get you to buy more baby food.

I waited until 6 months and I also did baby led weaning. To be honest I'm glad I waited not just because of guidelines but also because it's just one more thing to worry about and it was easier when he was just on milk.

Personally I wouldn't. We're waiting until 6 months and also doing baby led. I don't see why a baby would need anything other than milk at such a young age.

Our son was 5m1week when we started, before then he just wasn't ready, I think if they don't open their mouth and let the food go into their mouth, and all of it just comes all the way back out then they just aren't ready, wait til they take the lead and put things in their mouth, or til they can take the food easily and only SOME of it comes back out lol

New research has show that babies digestive systems are just not mature enough to deal with anything other than milk until 6 months.

I wouldn't personally. Babies digestive systems aren't developed enough at that age and it can cause health issues down the line. Some baby food does say from 4 months on it but this is because this is the youngest age they can put on it so that's what they're going to do to get the biggest customer base possible :flower:

There are signs to look out for when your baby Is ready for weaning. Including sitting unaided or there abouts, loss of the tongue thrust reflex and grabbing food off your plate and putting it in their mouth. Contrary to what some people believe, things such as watching you eat and making chewing motions with their mouth aren't signs, they are just developmental milestones (at around 4 months they start watching everything you do):flower:

We are also going to wait till 6 months (or as close to it as possible) to do blw. By 6 months its pretty much guaranteed that your baby's body is ready to handle solid food.

We tried at 4 months but she just wasn't ready. My son was ready at 4 months and loved his food. Ginny doesn't eat a lot for a five month old (does concern me a bit). We might try some food again this weekend or for Christmas dinner but if she only wants a few bites then that's ok. Like a PP said, I feel more relaxed with her not wanting food then I did with my son. It is just one more thing for us to pack in the morning when we are getting them ready for daycare.

I started on Monday and S will be 5 months on Saturday. I think 4 months is a tad early, but then it's your baby ad you know them best. I'm not being funny they're only guidelines, back in the day when I was young, we were weaned at 3/4 months and were fine! Xx

I don't like the "we were weaned at so many months/weeks old and we're fine" argument obviously some babies weren't fine and some people do suffer from health problems which could be attributed to early weaning:shrug: They don't just pluck a number out of thin air and say "this is when you should wean" it's based on research and scientific evidence. At the end of the day if your baby isn't showing signs of being ready for solids then their digestive system isn't ready for solids and unless you're advised to for medical reasons it really is in the baby's best interests to wait a little longer, not necessarily till 6months on the dot because some babies are ready at 5 or so months, just like some babies aren't ready till 7months. What I'm getting at is in most cases mums do know best but its impossible to see what your babies insides look like so the next best thing to look out for when it comes to weaning are the physical signs.

They may well turn out fine and healthy if you wean early but why would you risk it?

I was weaned at 4 months and im not ok, i suffer with IBS which is one of the side affects of weaning too early.

I was weaned at 4 months and im not ok, i suffer with IBS which is one of the side affects of weaning too early.

I know loads of people with IBS and other digestive problems. My own digestive system isn't great most days.

I started at 4 months. I have such a hungry little boy and he was showing lots of signs of weaning. Do it when you are ready. There are millions of people out there who were weaned before 6 months (probably a lot of them before 4 months even) who haven't had any side effects from it. I weaned early because my son's weight was shooting up the chart, he went from 9th percentile up to 75th. He was drinking so much milk that I felt I needed to give him something extra. And for me it worked. He started sleeping through the night again.

I just don't understand the "new study". I started weaning my older one at 4 months. But as you said it was 12 yrs back. Let me tell you that he is a tough, stout, healthy kid with no allergies at all.... Touch wood!!!!

I weaned al 4 months and would recommend it if baby is ready. My girl was definitely ready and seems much happier on solids. She enjoys her food so much I barely need to use a bib as it all goes straight in! I think it varies from baby to baby though. I dont like sticking rigidly to guidelines as they dont account for the fact that human beings differ! To me it would have been wrong to wait another 2 months, but for another baby, they may not show any signs of wanting solids til then.

I just don't understand the "new study". I started weaning my older one at 4 months. But as you said it was 12 yrs back. Let me tell you that he is a tough, stout, healthy kid with no allergies at all.... Touch wood!!!!

It doesn't mean they definitely will have those problems, just that it increases their risk of them. If you wait until 6 months you can be more confident their gut is definitely ready. Studies have shown there is no increased risk to any baby (excluding certain medical conditions) of waiting til 6 months. But there is a risk to some babies of not waiting. So they advise 6 months. Why rush, just give more milk.

I choose to wait till 6 months because the early weaners in my family have food intolerances. These intolerances didn't show up till much later in life. My uncle was weaned early and is allergic to corn. He didn’t find out till he was in his 40’s, but it was causing sleep apnea and high blood pressure. Corn is in everything, so there is not much he can eat.

One big thing to consider is any 'risks' caused by waiting until 6 months to wean, the evidence for them is sketchy anyway but let's just say the risks are true they are usually things like slightly lower iron levels, things that are temporary and can quickly be sorted out by simple changes to diet or if necessary, supplements. The potential risks of weaning at four months or earlier are lifelong risks such as lifelong allergies, bowel disorders, obesity, diabetes and so on and so forth. I know which I'd rather choose, personally xx

It is entirely up to you and if you feel your lo is ready for weaning. I started weaning lo at 4 months as he was always hungry feeding every hour, he took to it well eating fresh vegetables purees at home with baby rice and the occassional heinz box meal. However the past week or so he hasn't been interested. He will be 5 months in a few days so ive stopped and will try again in a week or so. But at the end of the day if you feel your baby is ready for weaning then you have a try and see how it goes :)

I actually gave my little boy a spoon of baby rice when he was 3 months...
He grabs at everything and puts it in his mouth and can sit (and stand leaning on a table) unaided and has been able to for ages, he also became fussy with his bottles, would rather chew on his fist then drink his bottle...which is why we tried him on the rice...he didnt like it and cried!

We tried him with a spoon of rice again the other day because he's still fussy with his bottles, he used to drink 8oz no problem but now struggles to drink more than 5! He liked the rice and opened his mouth for the spoon this time! It ends up all over his chin because he still has the tongue thrust thing...we're still giving him JUST bottles at the minute though...but i think by 4 months he will definately be ready!

I dont really care what anyone else says....guidelines are guidelines...they're not the law..every baby is different and parents know their own baby! I dont think there's anything wrong with TRYING babies on a bit of rice if they seem ready, they will either take to it or not :shrug:
I will keep trying my boy with bits of rice until i feel he is properly ready, wether it be when he is 4 months/4 years!

:flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back