weaning at 4 months to do or not to do???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've stayed away from posting on this thread since the begining lol but with all the debate on this topic on BnB and my own pediatrician being sort of on the fence with it and instead basing her recommendation on each each individual baby and their specific needs, I have done a good amount of research lately. Like Summer Rain said, it seemed to me the the US guidlines tend to focus on EBF for the first six months and it's actually hard to find if they feel differently about a formula fed baby, which I must say is frustrating.

yea that's why all this debate about waiting six months really gets me. I formula feed too and my dr instructed at four months to do so.

I think it has to do with BM changing to meet babies needs whereas formula is the same throughout. IF that's the case than formula isn't enough for some babies after 4 months. Just my opinion, most of my nutrition research was based on EBF as well.

I've stayed away from posting on this thread since the begining lol but with all the debate on this topic on BnB and my own pediatrician being sort of on the fence with it and instead basing her recommendation on each each individual baby and their specific needs, I have done a good amount of research lately. Like Summer Rain said, it seemed to me the the US guidlines tend to focus on EBF for the first six months and it's actually hard to find if they feel differently about a formula fed baby, which I must say is frustrating.

yea that's why all this debate about waiting six months really gets me. I formula feed too and my dr instructed at four months to do so.

I think it has to do with BM changing to meet babies needs whereas formula is the same throughout. IF that's the case than formula isn't enough for some babies after 4 months. Just my opinion, most of my nutrition research was based on EBF as well.

Oh ok that makes sense. We mostly have formula feeders in my family so even the waiting until six months didn't apply to my nephews. Thanks for the clarity.

My oldest (who is 9) was started on rice cereal and fruits at 2 months old! He was FF and gained weight like a champ. I am not saying that is correct, I am just saying that is what we did (with his Dr.'s guidance) back then. My second is supposed to start at 4 months old (which is in a couple weeks).

I think the best thing to do is to consult with your child's physician. If you are uncomfortable with their recommendations, voice your concerns and ask for more data.

Wow maybe you should watch what you say from now on. Way to stick your foot way in your mouth. Some people actually are blind and I wouldn't use it in a derogatory major from now on. Hope a lesson has been learned.

And I am not defensive until someone gets all huffy and upset that people have weaned before 6 months its ridiculous Nd therefore causes my blood to boil. And my baby was EBF for 4 months and the started solids and has thrived that way. He is 30 inches and 24 pounds at 6 months so I'd say I've done a pretty good job. But I'll let ya know in 20 years if he has ibs or something. Pretty far fetched.

I'm sorry youngwife but I view you the one being patronizing. I think you attacking everyone for weaning their babies at four months because we are following the advice of our drs is out of line. Do what you want with yours but for gods sake leave us that wean at four months the hell alone. You feel the need to reply EVERYONE that weans there babies at four months. Seriously get a grip.

Your making me laugh actualy because you actualy didnt read what she said properly lol Are you blind? I said many times that its okay if your doctors advice you too what I had a problem with is mums who wake up and go " why not " without doing the research, so if you have you are not reading correctly thats your fault. its kissy face saying i shouldnt follow doctors as because i choose to follow doctors im a niave young mum so clearly that must apply to you if you agree with kissyface.. so if thats what I was saying then why did she say that lol? You completly got it wrong. You get a grip because i clearly stated of medical proffesionals have adviced you to then fine what I had a problem with was peoplle weaning there babys without the need too. and I said it many times clearly aswell as stating facts. so what your saying makes no sence. And I will do what i want with mine. what do you mean leave you alone? i dont give a crap what you do with your baby i was stating fact. I am not the one being personal and saying its my age making me not a confident enough mother to believe I know whats right for my baby. its kissy face that actualy was saying you shouldnt listen to your doctor. so i think you need to re read.

Lastly I have not once said " what your doing is wrong" I have stated facts. and asked questions because I was curious about the answer simple as. If you find that attacking thats your problem. I reply to people who consider there stupid anicidotes to be plausable research. that isnt the same as attacking everyone who weans there baby at 4 months with a medical proffesional saying its adviced.

Originally Posted by overcomer79
There is obviously a barrier called the ocean. Many drs over here still advise solids at four months old. Many of us follow what the dr tells us to do. I'm sick of having what we do questioned repeatedly.

I'm sorry for being snippy but it seems if you wean at four months you aren't very respected and keep having six months crammed down your throat.

We are repeatedly asked "why can't you wait to six months??" I don't see anyone asking "why can't you start at four months?". I'm sure the OP has made her mind up by now anyway.
Lets be honest, if someone askes " Why can't you start at 4 months" The long list of facts will be crammed down your throat. So lets be realistic. When you ask " Why do you start at 4 months?" Its a Valid question that usualy results in answers that have no fact to it. just about how other babys are fine etc. ( Obvcourse not including health reasons or following Docs Instruction etc)

Actually if it is any of your business, yes I am blind. Thank you. I have a genetic disorder where blindness comes with it. Thanks for asking. I don't think you would be "lol" if you had vision problems. When you call people an idiot and call their family stupid then yes I view that out of line.

lol i do have vision problems actualy. and i was "loling" at how you got everything wrong because ur complaining about me having issues with someone going to there doctor which is what i was saying all along that you should follow ur docs advice. not just ur own. i didnt call anyones family stupid she is the one that started by insulting me because of my age so she shouldnt have started if she didnt cross the line then i wouldnt have. i stand by what i said. if she didnt start being personal i wouldnt have either. simple. i dont regret what i said.

i never said that there are foods that are not dangerous....I said that babies not getting food when they are hungry is dangerous..more dangerous than weaning early and weaning later can lead to iron deficiency especially with exclusive formula feeding as I did not breastfeed....and I am not stupid to give nuts and honey to my baby and I weaned at 4 months not 1 month....

and i never said that youngwife was a bad mother...if she was just looking for why I weaned at four months out of curiosity then why did she challenge my reasoning and disrespect me and judge me...like I said before I am not wrong and neither is she...no two moms will agree on everything....too bad for her if she doesnt like my reasonings...I dont answer to her...I answer to my babies!

actualy you did insinuate i was a bad mother because of my age you said that was the reason i rely on docs and guildlines you didnt need to say that because i am confident in my parenting. what has my age really got to do with it? you dont have to answer to me . I wasnt judging you i even said i gave my daughter a bannana at 4 months but i wish i didnt. i got defensive when you brought my age into it because i felt there was no need to do that because my age has nothing to do with my parenting. unless you can explain to me what my age has to do with it? I didnt challange your reasoning i was trying to understand it!

Wow maybe you should watch what you say from now on. Way to stick your foot way in your mouth. Some people actually are blind and I wouldn't use it in a derogatory major from now on. Hope a lesson has been learned.

And I am not defensive until someone gets all huffy and upset that people have weaned before 6 months its ridiculous Nd therefore causes my blood to boil. And my baby was EBF for 4 months and the started solids and has thrived that way. He is 30 inches and 24 pounds at 6 months so I'd say I've done a pretty good job. But I'll let ya know in 20 years if he has ibs or something. Pretty far fetched.

No actualy i wont whatch what I say. im not getting huffy or upset that you weaned whenever you weaned but i was still saying the facts. I was upset when the woman was blamin my age and insinuating im some how niave because im a young mum and dont trust my instincts. and actualy i think your adressing every single poster to me i never even mentioned ibs :dohh:

No actualy i wont whatch what I say. im not getting huffy or upset that you weaned whenever you weaned but i was still saying the facts. I was upset when the woman was blamin my age and insinuating im some how niave because im a young mum and dont trust my instincts. and actualy i think your adressing every single poster to me i never even mentioned ibs :dohh:

The first part was to you and I find it pretty crazy that you can't even apologize but whatever. The second part was not to you it was a general statement that's why I didn't quote you.

I guess what confuses me is that all this emphasis is put on " We're going to do X when baby is ready" with all these other subjects ( delivery, sttn, etc etc) but when it comes to this subject people are willing to make a hard and fast rule that my baby will not be ready to eat solids before 6 mos. This also seems to go against the whole idea of BLW??

It just seems a little unfair to say that no baby is ready before 6 months when with almost every single other parenting subject nobody would make that assumption.

What I also don't understand is all this Dr. distrust and whatnot. I understand that as a whole the AAP is saying 6 months is optimal. But the whole point of finding a Dr that you like/trust etc is that when these subjects come up you can discuss your options about what's best for your baby and make an informed decision. If my baby was deathly ill I would put confidence in the doctor that I chose to decide the best course of action for my child at that point. Why is it any different with this?

Yet another pleasant and civil thread I see. Hope OP has actually got some half decent advice and opinions in between all the arguing! :(

Yet another pleasant and civil thread I see. Hope OP has actually got some half decent advice and opinions in between all the arguing! :(

Sadly, I agree but I have learned something from this thread and I'm trying to steer it in a different direction but I'm not going to tolerate being insulted or belittled.

I guess what confuses me is that all this emphasis is put on " We're going to do X when baby is ready" with all these other subjects ( delivery, sttn, etc etc) but when it comes to this subject people are willing to make a hard and fast rule that my baby will not be ready to eat solids before 6 mos. This also seems to go against the whole idea of BLW??

It just seems a little unfair to say that no baby is ready before 6 months when with almost every single other parenting subject nobody would make that assumption.

What I also don't understand is all this Dr. distrust and whatnot. I understand that as a whole the AAP is saying 6 months is optimal. But the whole point of finding a Dr that you like/trust etc is that when these subjects come up you can discuss your options about what's best for your baby and make an informed decision. If my baby was deathly ill I would put confidence in the doctor that I chose to decide the best course of action for my child at that point. Why is it any different with this?

In the UK most people do not have paediatricians we have general practitioners. General practitioners don't need to know about weaning onto solids. In the UK this is the job of public health visitors aka HVs but HVs must follow the national guidelines and keep their training updated. However even in the US there are national guidelines and if a doctor is advising weaning onto solids far earlier than would be considered safe in any country then surely it is common sense to really question that advice. Not talking four months here but some US doctors are advising solids still at 3, 2, even 1 month. I saw a post from a lady in the US a few months back who was told to start feeding solids including fruits and veggies from 4 weeks as just milk isn't enough, and no her baby did not have any medical condition. My understanding US paediatricians are not required to update their training and advice with current guidance. It does seem some US ladies view doctors as close to being infallible and that is a bit worrying. And it's true I really don't get why youngwife was attacked with the line about her being a young mother and relying too much on doctors and guidelines and then we UK ladies are attacked for not trusting doctors? Eh? Xx

For me it's not so much about waiting till 6 months, it's more about waiting until my baby is showing the physical signs of being ready and I do think more emphasis needs to be put on what signs parents need to look out for because so many people have no idea that for example, watching you eat isn't a sign that they are ready but so many people think it is. It's not that 6months all babies are magically ready for solids, but that's when the majority of babies are likely to be ready.

I've learned from this thread as well. (From those that are civil)

Some people confuse readiness with curiosity. Just like some people confuse braxton hixs for labor. For me, I would not wean unless my doctor consented.

I believe that doctors are very good at treating illnesses. Even my doctor will admit she is no expert at nutrition and breastfeeding. She did tell me that thier internal organs are not ready for food till a certain time and when a baby can bring food to his mouth and chew than they are definitely ready.

Breastmilk/formula is still very nutritious food for your babies, it has a lot of vitamins and minerals they can't get from rice cereal. At any age, I would start with sweet potatoes or avocado rather than rice cereal.

The first part was to you and I find it pretty crazy that you can't even apologize but whatever. The second part was not to you it was a general statement that's why I didn't quote you.

No i wont apologize. the lady who used my age to say something uncalled for or to use it as an excuse was getting personal she should apologise. im not apologising. it was a comment get over it. thats a common thing that people say.

Sadly, I agree but I have learned something from this thread and I'm trying to steer it in a different direction but I'm not going to tolerate being insulted or belittled.

Well neither will i. She insulted me and you got involved. simple as. I was just stating fact before that poster had to bring my age etc into it that had no relevence. I am not trying to argue. or say anyones right or wrong. it was you guys getting offended because i question your choice. I couldnt care less how anyone weans there child. I got difensive when she had to go into my age as if that makes me a bad mum.. so obvcourse with pregnancy hormones etc i stood up for my self and i will do it anytime because I am a great mum and my age has nothing to do with it.

In the UK most people do not have paediatricians we have general practitioners. General practitioners don't need to know about weaning onto solids. In the UK this is the job of public health visitors aka HVs but HVs must follow the national guidelines and keep their training updated. However even in the US there are national guidelines and if a doctor is advising weaning onto solids far earlier than would be considered safe in any country then surely it is common sense to really question that advice. Not talking four months here but some US doctors are advising solids still at 3, 2, even 1 month. I saw a post from a lady in the US a few months back who was told to start feeding solids including fruits and veggies from 4 weeks as just milk isn't enough, and no her baby did not have any medical condition. My understanding US paediatricians are not required to update their training and advice with current guidance. It does seem some US ladies view doctors as close to being infallible and that is a bit worrying. And it's true I really don't get why youngwife was attacked with the line about her being a young mother and relying too much on doctors and guidelines and then we UK ladies are attacked for not trusting doctors? Eh? Xx
This is what I was confused about lol because then afterward she agreed with someone who said she weaned on doctors advice :dohh: Its like if thats the case you just said that was a bad thing lol? confusing xx

I've learned from this thread as well. (From those that are civil)

Some people confuse readiness with curiosity. Just like some people confuse braxton hixs for labor. For me, I would not wean unless my doctor consented.

I believe that doctors are very good at treating illnesses. Even my doctor will admit she is no expert at nutrition and breastfeeding. She did tell me that thier internal organs are not ready for food till a certain time and when a baby can bring food to his mouth and chew than they are definitely ready.

Breastmilk/formula is still very nutritious food for your babies, it has a lot of vitamins and minerals they can't get from rice cereal. At any age, I would start with sweet potatoes or avocado rather than rice cereal.

I agree with you oh dear dont start the dreading rice cereal v actual nutritious food as a first food lol that will start another debate :p xx :haha:

Thread has gone far enough. I hope the OP got the advice she was looking for from other Mums/Moms.

The activity within this thread is being reviewed. Rudeness, flaming, trolling, anti social behaviour towards members and/or parenting choices/styles is not tolerated and offending members accounts are at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"