• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

weaning, milk or water?

Izzie74

Reaction score
I will be going back to work when lo is 8 1/2 months. I plan to breast feed at night and in the morning. I do not want to express any more when I go back to work. the HV said that lo could just have water during the day. is this acceptable? she said there was no need for formula? I'm worried lo wont get all she needs from food. I haven't started weaning yet, so have no idea how she will take to it so may have to wait to decide anyway, but would it be better to give her at least one bottle of formula a day? advice please.

I would see what her usual feeding routine is then, whether she is having plenty of day feeds still. If so, I would probably at least prepare to have formula available for her (for whoever will be caring for her during the day) and offer it if she wants it. It may be she doesn't have any interest, particularly if she is eating solids really well during the day and doesn't have many milk feeds anyway. But I know when my daughter started nursery at 9 months (she was formula fed at this point anyway), she was still having 2 bottles during the day (mid-morning and mid-afternoon), plus meals and snacks, in addition to what we offered her at home. Some breastfed babies won't entertain the idea of a bottle or formula (don't blame them, tastes horrible!). But if she wants it and will take it, I'd offer it, if you don't plan to express any. If she won't take it though, that's fine. I'd just make sure she's offered water regularly and top her up when she gets home and in the morning before you go to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->