Weaning.

XKatX

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding possesive, I just have to say that I DO NOT want to do this. Is this wrong of me? Oliver is nearly 4 months now and he is starting to show signs that perhaps a little bit of baby rice is in order. This is breaking my heart.:cry: I wanted to BF exclusively for 6 months, but I'm not sure if we can keep it up. Am I harming him by keeping him on just milk? I'm not sure if perhaps I am imagining the signs. He sleeps through the night, but his daytime feeds can now take an hour - draining both boobs. He seems happy enough with this.
Just don't know what to do really. I'm reluctant to take advice from HV, as they just end to advise what THEY think.

I would say do what you feel right, Jacob had been showing the signs since about 3 months but i kept pushing it and pushing it until we went to peidiatrition *sp* and he said that he should be weaned due to being sick so often and nothing helping. And Jacob doesnt sleep through or anything. As long as your happy and he is then its completely up to you dont feel presured into weaning just because he is hitting 4 months and everyone else is. Each babie is individual and if he is happy on just milk till 6 months then so be it

:hug: xxxXxx

Agree with Ema. As long as your LO is happy and healthy that's what matters. Do what you think is best

They have a growth spurt at 4 months, many people confuse that for weaning signs. I stuck it out and she didn't need weaning untill 5 and a half months.

They have a growth spurt at 4 months, many people confuse that for weaning signs. I stuck it out and she didn't need weaning untill 5 and a half months.

Oh, thankyou so much for this! I have tonnes of ebm in the freezer, I wonder if I could supplement some of his feeds with this maybe. At least that way he willbe getting what he needs and I won't be drained to a raisin!!!

Chloe showed signs at 4 months and we didnt start til 5 and a half- the signs seemed to be a growth spurt

I felt exactly like you and really didn't want to wean early. In the end Alasdair's growth spurt did not go away and weaning him was exactly the right thing to do. For us though, and not necessarily for you. I'd say just to try and stick it out for as long as possible. If, though, at the end of the day you think the baby rice is a worth a try you can always do it once and you'll just know if your baby is ready. You know him best :hugs:

My HV told me that babies don't need to be weaned until they are 6months old, although I know it's different for different babies, but saying that it must be fine to breastfeed exclusively up until then.

Wean when you feel it is right for him. Good luck!

i agree wean when you feel happy hon :hugs: sounds like a growth spurt hon, hope the ebm helps :hugs: i didn't want to wean early either - 6months for us :)

I stuck it out to and didnt start weaning until he was over 6 months! do what is right for u both x

i just wanted to say never feel guilty about not bfing for 6months, i had the worst guilty ever and i was hooked on bfing, if he is happy that its fine, i wouldnt start him til 5 and a half months, i've only started probly in the last week and jack will be 6months on thursday, its very hard when to know what to do and HV arent very helpful. just give him a little b4 6months but dont what ever u do feel guilty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->