Weaning!

divadexie

Reaction score
Ok I am a wee while off yet but I want to know what Im doing! Lol

When am I supposed to start?? Anna will be 6months actual in oct, but corrected in jan. So I am not really sure when to start!

Its been so long since I weaned my son! I started him off on some baby rice and if he looked really interested in what I was having Id give him some steamed veg to munch on.
He isn't fussy atall (just hates tomatos, but I never gave him any cos I hated them! Lol).

Do I just give a soon or so before a feed? And then when she is eating more rice obv she will have less room for milk....?
I dunno how it works LOL

I'm so pleased you've asked, as I've been wondering the same...

You wean based on actual age between 5&7 months.

I waited until 6 1/2 months as I didn't feel the need to rush it and probably because I wanted to have a wee bit longer of her being milk fed since she was 3 1/2 months when she came home!

I give her stage 1 foods ie baby rice, carrots, butternut squash, banana etc and make them very runny initially. She has now been weaning a month and I have started her on breakfast and lunch and made them thicker to get her used to texture for the next stage of adding lumps!

She is still tiny so she only gets the equiv of an ice cube on each feed.

I am planning to wait until she is 8/9 months actual before introducing stage 2 foods but some may do it sooner.

Annabel karmel book is good.

There is a booklet you can download from bliss on weaning.

Forgot to add I usually give it half hour to an hour after a feed as milk should be their primary food until one year old.

We have just started weaning Sophie a few days ago - can't believe she's at that stage already and Anna's only a month younger than her! She's only tried baby rice so far but I'm thinking about trying something else in a day or two...

We started weaning Andrew based on actual age (6 months) but took it very very slowly, and he's only gone onto Stage 2 meals in the last few weeks (at a year old). He's been stop-start due to health issues but now seems to be taking to the idea of eating solids.

I just had Katie at the dietician today and was asking her about weaning. Katie is 7 months old but 4 months corrected. Dietician advised that the signs they look for the baby being ready to wean now is they are able to sit on their own unsupported, good hand/mouth co-ordination and trying to chew on things. Don't know if this helps, I'm a first time mum as well as being mum to a preemie so struggling a wee bit with these things, never know what the best thing is to do!

Blimey, if we had to wait until Andrew could sit unsupported, he wouldn't even have started weaning now at 1yr actual ;)

I was told that its different to a ''normal'' baby. Anna was 15 weeks early so I doubt she will be sitting unaided for a good while yet!!
I *think* I will start weaning her at about november/december.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->