We're home!

emilyp83

Reaction score
After everything the hospital said about not being home before Christmas little Louie was discharged from scbu yesterday. Needless to say I was in floods of happy tears and completely terrified at the same time. Especially since his jaundice level was back over the treatment line and he's lost weight again. The nurse said she wasn't worried though and he would be fine at home. She says the jaundice is likely to be related to breastfeeding.

So Louie had his first night at home last night and seems to be settling in just fine. Mummy had her first night in a comfy bed since the end of November and a proper bath too! I'm still managing to breastfeed but even more paranoid now that he's not getting enough because of him losing weight. I've started expressing again so that I have some milk to top him up with especially in the middle of the night when he seems to give up sucking and I don't have the patience to keep going. The only problem is my left breast seems to have slowed right down now. If I express more on that side will it stimulate the milk to come back in there? :shrug:

Bring on the rest of the challenges and the panic attacks over nothing (most recently the fact that he seems to be more awake than he was?! I know I'm nuts!).

congrats on your little fighter my son also had the pda surgery

Haha, my little girl is more awake too and I was like, whats wrong with her? Is she hungry? Windy? Wet? Why can't she sleep? But really its just that they are getting older and will have more awake/alert periods.

I know the worries of breatfeeding too. I have tons of over supply in SCBU because I was double pumping the whole time, and expresseing much more than she needed. Now we're at home I've cut down the expressing and my boobs have stopped going so hardand full. My rational mind says that they are now producing only what she needs, but my preemie mum mind is telling me that I'm not producing enough milk for her, especially since sometimes she will nurse for about an hour and I'm not convinced she's getting that much. I'd say express from the left breast and your supply will increase for sure, but what makes you think it's not got enough milk?

Coming home it a lovely time, but also a very worrying time. I'm taking her temperature about 10 times a day!!

Just rest assured, its perfectly normal to feel like this after a stint in SCBU!

Congratulations on being home! And in time for Christmas is just lovely.
Its nice to finally get home and be a family.
Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your baby boy!

Congrats on being home, its the best feeling ever! Enjoy your christmas with your bundle of joy x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->