What age did you start your career

stephx

Reaction score
Having a bit of a wobble tonight having just realized by the time I've graduated and got my PGCE i'll be 26. Is this really old to be starting a career? And is 25 really old to be going to university? I've done my degree from home so I have no idea about brick uni's

I'll (hopefully) have a psychology degree and get a job in primary teaching

So yeah, how old were you when you graduated? Started your career? And what did you go into?

Not too old at all. Just think you will still have 40 years left to work in your chosen career.

I will be 30 before i qualify

Ill be 26/27 when I qualify as a nurse! I'm in my first year now. I'm the same though and panic, thinking I should be in it already! But really its not old at all, it's never too late to start a career anyway :)

It's never too late. I graduated when I was 23, I changed my major at 20 & joined a new uni. I have a MBA in International business. My degree was in MIS, but I worked in property management which is not related to any of my majors :rofl:. I'm a certified property manager but I did the certificate after starting a career in property & facilities management.

I quit my job at 29 got married & had my boy, I've been a SAHM since then.

I'm 34 now, I'm planning to take a course in Nutrition soon, I'm obsessed about healthy eating, different diets etc. I'm looking to start a small business related to fitness & weight loss & the certificate would be helpful. I was thinking seriously of going back to uni this year to go for a B.Sc. in Nutrition, but it's not the right time now, so maybe next year or in Jan next year.

Good luck hun xx

I'll be... 24 when I finish Uni? Maybe 25. It all depends on what experience years/work years i choose to take. The more - the better.

:) Xx

I've just finished my level 3 in childcare but taking some time out to do my degree and pgce later :) your never to old to follow your dreams x

21 BUT doctors start in their mid-late 20s ;) It's not old at all :)

Of course not, my ex only graduated as a teacher last year and he is 26! If I decide to go down the psychotherapy route I won't be qualified until I'm nearly 30 :shock: I figure that I have already done the baby thing as I am not planning on having another, so I can dedicate myself to my career without worrying about starting a family in the future :)

Also my mum only qualified as a nurse when she was in her forties!

Not old at all. Considering you got to work until u are 60 odd, u got years and years yet

I was considering starting a part time degree at 33 but luckily landed the job I was hoping for!

Of course not, my ex only graduated as a teacher last year and he is 26! If I decide to go down the psychotherapy route I won't be qualified until I'm nearly 30 :shock: I figure that I have already done the baby thing as I am not planning on having another, so I can dedicate myself to my career without worrying about starting a family in the future :)

Also my mum only qualified as a nurse when she was in her forties!

That's such a good point!

Thank you everyone, I feel better about it now :flower:

I think it's not too old. Even if a person works REALLY hard, so many outside factors can effect when you would start a career. Don't worry.

Not too old at all! I graduated from college at 21 (several weeks before turning 22), started my career four months later (same field but different speciality area which I liked even more), then at 25 I went back and got my master's degree (same field), and then at 27 I went back to school full time for a doctoral program and now at 32 I am in my second year as university professor teaching in the field that was my original major. So basically I've been in the same field for my entire career, just many different areas of that field.

I was 20 when I graduated as a paediatric nurse (started when 17) but there were absolutely no jobs in that field so its been 4 years since I graduated and I now need to retrain if I want to use it. Some women in my class were 40 and had waited until there children were at school.

I'll be close to 30 when ive finished all my training, I don't think its old at all. I'm lucky too that ive already had my girls so I wont have to have a break to raise them.

No way I would say that is quite standard nowadays with people going off for education or doing other jobs before uni, travelling etc, I would say it’s more abnormal to be in a set career from a young age. I don’t know when you would class me as starting my career, I went to uni straight from school and volunteered in my sector from the age of 19 and have always worked in my field since graduating, however, I won’t be fully qualified in my field until I am 26/27 so it depends when you class as starting your career. I think all work develops you as a person in some way so even if your career change/start is drastic whatever you have done in that “previous life” contributes in some way. I agree with the babies young thing as well, I have just decided to have babies in my 20s, so it just means by the time I’m in my 30s I can plough on, although tbh having children hasn’t really delayed me much at all, I’m the youngest on my course.

My OH was a teacher, went back to uni retained and became a nurse at 39! It's never too late. As long as you've got enough working years ahead of you to enjoy your profession go for it. He's now trying to go back to teaching university students (he guest lectures at the minute and is apply for permanent jobs) and he's 46!!!

I graduated at 23 and officially started my career at 24.

You're never too old! I'm the hiring manager for my group and we have folks of all age ranges starting new careers in my industry.

I'm going to graduate nursing when I'm 28 and I'm definitely not the oldest one there. You aren't too old at all xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->