What age did you start your career

I'm 28 and still haven't even decided on a career! I've worked accounting jobs that usually require a degree but have been lucky enough to have the experience needed instead. So that helped put me off from going to college. Now I just don't know what I want to be when I grow up ;)

I don't even know what my career will be! If I go in to teaching I'll be 25, so old! If my business takes off then I guess that classes as starting my career at 22, likewise if something happens with my writing and I actually begin to get paid. :haha: But I intend to change careers quite a few times and do loads of different things and blow money travelling and stuff so I'll probably also be starting a new career at 60 or something! Don't worry about it Steph, you're far from alone! By the time we're 60 retirement age will no doubt be up to 105 or something so it's not like we don't have time to waste!

I'm 32 an considering going back to uni to study social work so will be around 37/38 when and if I qualified....and I still don't think that's *too* old. I'm currently a project manager for a local authority and as much as I love my job, since having my LO I feel like I want to do something that has always been in my heart, and work with people as opposed to projects! You are never, ever too old!

I qualified as a speech and language therapist at 25, so not old at all. Now I'm 33 I feel like I've been working for ever, I'm in a senior position, earn plenty and keep wondering what I'm going to do for the next 25+ years....kind of plod on doing the same!!!

I graduated at 21 and started work as an SLT in the NHS the same week, I'm 33 now and while still technically youngish :haha: I have been there nearly a third
of my life which is a scary thought. I can't see me ever moving though, I'm in a job I love and a grade I'm more than happy with

I am 23 and am starting my NQT year now. I did open university and a GTP course last year. There were people on my course from 22 up to 42 so do not fear!

You are never too old to qualify for a new career. I graduated with a media degree at 23 however despite all my best efforts I never got anywhere except a bit of occasional freelance work now and again. I drifted from different 'dead end jobs' and then got into admin roles which was the nearest to a career job I got (I am not slagging admin, but it isn't what I personally want to do long term).

However I used my wages from my work to pay for courses and retrain as a complementary therapist. I have only recently completed all my training and I am 33, nearing 34! I am doing it part time at the moment but will probably be another year or two before I can afford to do it full time as need to build up a client base and in that time OH and I would like another child. so I will be in my late 30s before I think I'll be exactly where I want to be in my career.

It all really depends on your circumstances (children, money, etc) and what works best for you individually so age doesn't matter and you are young anyway so have no need to worry

x

When I get my honours degree, I'll be 27. Add on 1 year for PGCE I'll be 28. Maybe 2 years for masters I'll be 30. Then I'll start looking into the career I'm after. But glad to know I'm not the only one in this situation

I'm 25 and going into my second degree year. I'll be 27 when I graduate and then I'll need another year or two for a masters before I can go into my field for real. I am working related jobs as I study but nothing you could call a career. I guess I'll be nearing 30 before I've settled into one.

I had a wobbly start, and sometimes I wish it could have been different (for future kids sake) but it's no big deal, there are plenty of us!

I'll be 22 by the time I start uni, and I'm hoping to do a Masters degree, so I will be 26! My mum was over 40 when she gained her PhD, it's never too late !

I'm 23, start uni in 2 weeks (pre access course) will be 28/29 when I qualify :) (nursing) x

I wish I knew what I wanted to do! I've been working in Admin for the last 8 years and I really enjoy it but feel I need to spread my wings. I'm 30 in February and hope to start retraining after baby #2 comes along. So no never too old to learn.

i started my career when i was 21, i'm a teacher. Went into college straight out of high school and finished in 4 years then graduated and got a job teaching right away. I don't think 25 is that old though. My husband will be 30 by the time he starts working as a nurse! Some people just take a bit longer and that's ok.

There were always older (and i mean in their 40's and 50's) people when i went to school.

I'm not sure how old I'll be, I'm working as an assistant in the field but to actually be a Librarian I'll need to do a masters and I don't know yet when I'll do that. I hope I'll be able to do my masters with sponsorship from my employer but they only fund a certain number of people each year and they've just cut it down this year so competition will probably be fierce! I imagine I'll wait unti this baby is in school, in 2018, when I'll be 28, before I start, try for funding whilst saving so I can fund myself if I don't get sponsorship. I'll probably realistically be in my 30s...

I've only got one year of college in, will probably try to take a few gen ed classes while raising my kids to get another year out of the way. I'm not sure if it would be better to do an associates type deal (2 year degree) or actually shoot for the full bachelors (4 years).

And that's all going to be up to how OH's career goes. He's working as a physical therapy assistant. If he can work his way up a bit, I won't really need more than a retail job and I'm okay with that. I've never been the ambitious career type. I like to be vocal in politics but I see no jobs there.

But I'll be at least 26-28 as well before I'll be able to have qualifications to start anything aside from retail.

I still need to decide what it is I'm actually going to do! I'm 22 :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->