What age do you think it is ok to leave children at home?

Pearls18

Reaction score
Whether it's for you to go to work, or popping out quickly to the shops. Not asking for myself, just curious!

Is there a legal age?

I know it'll depend on the child, but roughly what do you think is an acceptable age?

13-16 depending on individual maturity I tthink

Popping to the shops- 10?

Going to work for the day- 13

I know I was left alone at about 7 x

I was left at 8 when my mum popped to the shop (10 minute there and back walk) and I'd just sit and watch TV 'til she returned but I know some 8 year olds couldn't be left alone, so definitely depends on the child.

10-14 perhaps? I feel like a 15/16 year old could definitely be left alone.

xxx

9/10ish? At 13 I'd been bussing to school on my own for 2 years, I could certainly handle watching tv at home whilst my mum went out :shrug: I'm quite independent I guess but I think late primary school is reasonable for most kids.

Popping to the shops or something like that, from 7. For longer periods of time, 9. Though if Maria doesn't get into an after-school program (spaces are limited) and I'm working she'll have to be alone after school from 7 so I'm aiming to get her independent and reliable enough by that age.

I recently foud out that there isn't a legal age for leaving a child - there's only a problem if a child gets injured as it's then neglect. Otherwise you could technically leave a baby as long as nothing happened which is crazy. I used to get left home alone most Fri/Sat nights from age 7ish as my Mum and Dad were musicians and gigged those nights. I would be left with the TV and some tunnocks tea cakes and be told to put myself to bed at 9pm! lol :haha: I did too. We sometimes had babysitters but that stopped when I was 8 as I said that they were stupid and ate all my quavers so mum left me to it! lol :wacko:

On my own children, as there's so many of them :)haha:) I would probably say Earl will need to be about 11/12 to be left on his own, but I wouldn't leave him 'in charge' of the other 2 until he's about 14/15 which would make Charlie 10/11. Up til about that age I don't think that kind of responsibility would be fair on him. From being in senior school though he'll get the choice about things like coming to the supermarket and things.

I wouldn't leave them under 13 minimum. If they don't want to nip to the shop with me it's tough they are coming anyway :haha:

Most accidents happen in the home and I wouldn't forgive myself.

About 11 if just popping out, maybe 13/14 for longer periods.

I have a 8 and 10yr old and I wouldn't leave them in a million years. Strikes me as lazy :( probably secondary age.

I have a 10yr old and def not mature enough to be responsible for themselves.

There isn't a legal age in UK but there is a law to cover that it must be reasonably safe - eg the child should know not to mess with the gas cooker, recognise a danger and act on it appropriately (get out house if fire etc), know how and when to call 999 etc. How long and what time of day probably has an effect too. If the authorities were aware of a child being left alone they'd consider it on a case by case basis to decide if it's neglect.

If i was popping to the shops for 5 minutes, 11-12. If a whole day, 14+. After school for an hour 13+
I was left alone about ten? By 11 i was left three times a week 7-10.30 whilst my nan/aunt went to bingo.

I would say probably 10-11 for a quick nip to the shop and maybe half an hour after school depending on the child. 13 minimum for leaving whilst at work. However I guess in our case we will not even have that option until she is a lot older. But I guess that will depend on how well she matures and manages within the house. I can't imagine I will leave her until her brother is old enough to help and be responsible though so I think it will likely be around 15 with son being about 12-13 ish.

I was left alone for hours at a time without my brothers or sisters in the house from about 10. I used to think it was great but looking back I was far too young to be left for such a long time, I wouldn't of known how to deal with so many situations that could of come up. I think 13/14 is a sensible age if it's going to be for long periods of time.

I have a 8 and 10yr old and I wouldn't leave them in a million years. Strikes me as lazy :( probably secondary age.

How is it lazy? Putting in the effort to teach your child to be independent and trustworthy enough to leave alone is hardly lazy, it takes work.

I mean in cases where they just cba taking them. My children have suitable independence for their age. I dont think its safe for my 10yr old to be left at home. The other day one of our sockets started steaming for NO obvious reason. Lucky I smelt melting and sorted it, but what if I was out. No. Just no. Not while in primary school. Secondary school, yes. Probably but I don't know when and if that day will ever come! Personally I cant see any favoura for my children at this point and what they would gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->