What are some names you dislike?

Not trying to offend anyone... just curious as to what names some people dislike.

I can't stand names like Jayden/Aiden/Hayden/Kaden. Not even because every kid seems to be named one of those nowadays. They're cute names for like, toddlers but it's an immature/unproffesional name for an adult.

I don't like Jayden/Hayden/Kaden also but I like Aidan, here it's a name that's been in use for ages so lots of men are called it. I really dislike a lot of names, eg. Cori, Jack, Jake and so many girl's names are way too common now like Eva, Evie and Eve.

I really can't stand the Irish type names where the spelling is just ridiculous and the kid will be spelling it out for the rest of their lives.. such as...!

Wow! That's an ignorant thing to say. The spelling may be ridiculous to you because it's another language! I'm proud that my son has an Irish name and chances are this baby will too, it makes a change from all the common baby names.

Ive got a few lol
Jamie
Maddison
Ava
River
Summer
Autumn
Destiny
Alfie (reminds me of an 80s show, you know the one with the hairy alien lol)
Crystal
Malcolm
Noel (reminds me of a really whiny child I had once in nursery)
Milo

I really can't stand the Irish type names where the spelling is just ridiculous and the kid will be spelling it out for the rest of their lives.. such as...

Aoife EE-FAH
Sinéad SHI-NAYDE
Siobhán- SHUV-AWN
Áine- AWN-YAH
Aisling- ASH-LING
Cáit- CAWTCH
Róisín- ROE- SHEEN
Emer/Eimear- EE-MUR
Aoibheann- EE-VEEN
Aoibhe- EVA
Sadbh- SIVE (rhymes with I've)
Mairéad- MURR-ADE
Síofra- SHEEF-RAH
Máire- MOY-RAH
Caoimhe- KWEE-VAH
Sorcha- SOOR-KAH
Niamh- NEEVE
Maebh- MAVE
Saoirse- SEER-SHA
Gráinne- GRAWN-YAH
Orlaith- OR-LAH
Caitríona- Ca-TREEN-ah
Eilish- EYE-LISH
Ailish- A-LISH
Ailbhe- ALVA
Eithne- EHT-NAH
Muireann- MWIR-IN
Bébhinn- BAY-VIN
Bláthnaid- BLOH-NID
Clíodhna- CLEE-NA/CLEE-Oh-NA
Dearbhail- DUR-VIL
Chlodagh- CHLO-DAH
Réaltín- RAIL-TEEN
Caoilfhionn- KEEL-IN
Iseult- EE-ZULT
Nóinín- NO-NEEN
I literally cannot pronounce one single one of those :dohh:

There I pronounced them for you! :) I get what you're saying that some are very hard to pronounce but you're ignoring why- because they are in a foreign language. It comes across as offensive to blast a language like that. Obviously you're perfectly entitled to dislike them and correctly say that yes some are quite difficult to pronounce but I do think you should take into account that they are not deliberately so- it's because they are in Irish. It's not the fault of the names that they are used abroad where the language is unfamiliar. Your point about pronouncing/spelling them could be said for a whole host of new modern names or names spelled differently too. Those Irish names have a cultural background, a good few are thousands of years old. Their spelling and pronunciations makes perfect sense to me since I'm fluent!

I have no problem with anglicising them. Makes perfect sense- the beauty of the name but easy to pronounce. Wouldn't be the biggest fan of their usage here in Ireland but in the North and abroad- absolutely fine, and good to see.

I don't like the name Caitríona!It is my name (Catherine) in Irish, never liked it, and when in Irish summer college I got forcibly called it. Ughh! hate Maura, Bridget, Josephine, Geraldine, Fergus, Fergal, Concepta, Agnes, Paula, Pauline, Claudine, Noreen. I am not a fan of the Jayden/Kayden names either. I do know a 20 year old Jayden (shocked the name was around in 91!) and it suits him but I still don't like it.

:dohh: had sent my reply when i read this :haha:
iv one of those names you mentioned and i HATE my name... PAULINE:growlmad: why my mam called me that il never understand
my sons name is Cayden :haha:
i LOVE it, its got special meaning to me
it was name i had picked if my lil girl was a boy
my lil girl was born a girl obv but sadly died
and afterwards i found out the meaning of the name cayden
found out then in 09 i was pregnant with a boy
and the only name i wanted was cayden, i had a eventful, tough pregnancy and he faught the whole way, so for me there was no option his name was cayden it means fighter.. and i still LOVE it...

my oh sis called her new baby hes 6mths Jayden :haha:

just shows how everyones taste difffers:flower:

Ah hate is a strong word...it's more like I'm not a fan of the -ayden names and wouldn't name my (future..) children those names! I'll reserve hate for Agnes and Concepta though ha. I much prefer Pauline to Josephine. Good for you if you love the name Cayden! It's great that the name has such meaning for you. :flower: I love some Irish names, definitely not all of them and not the very common ones.

Mushroom when I got to hospital to have Odhrán the midwife who assessed me was called Concepta and she was so annoying! She wanted to send me home as it was my first baby, an hour later I was 7cm and climbing the walls in pain! Can't say that would be a favourite name of mine either. She was a young midwife but it's not a name I'd associate with a younger person.

Mushroom when I got to hospital to have Odhrán the midwife who assessed me was called Concepta and she was so annoying! She wanted to send me home as it was my first baby, an hour later I was 7cm and climbing the walls in pain! Can't say that would be a favourite name of mine either. She was a young midwife but it's not a name I'd associate with a younger person.

:haha: Yeah I could only really picture nuns having the name? It's just so old-fashioned! I have a friend called Doreen who hates the name but Concepta is just on another level.

What names are you considering for your second baby? I'm years away from TTC but me and my OH discuss names all the time..Sadbh is a winner anyway!

im not a lover of jayden kayden hayden either. i dont like dylan, callum, connor, kieran, archie, alfie... and girls names i dont like scarlet chantelle or chanel, kayla, lily, maddison, ruby, thalia, chardonnay (why would you do that?!) or any names that are just normal names spelt incorrectly ie. kloe, khlowee, deeviyne... it looks like the parent couldnt spell.

I hate when people spell my name as katy... its katIE.

Heehee, I'm a Katy and I hate when people spell my name Katie! I feel your pain, no-one ever gets it right! And it used to royally piss me off that there were never any of the 'name' things like mugs etc that you get in card shops that had the right spelling on! :haha:

For baby names I don't like the '-ayden' names for boys, or anything blatantly made up or misspelled...I will be imagining my babies as doctors or other professional adults when we name them! I'm not keen on anything that's overly popular, I don't fancy my poor child being one of 15 Jacks or Lilys in his/her class at school. I just hope the names we DO like don't get too popular when we have our kids!

I really can't stand the Irish type names where the spelling is just ridiculous and the kid will be spelling it out for the rest of their lives.. such as...!

Wow! That's an ignorant thing to say. The spelling may be ridiculous to you because it's another language! I'm proud that my son has an Irish name and chances are this baby will too, it makes a change from all the common baby names.

Absolutely agree with you Josiem. They are pronounced as they are spelt in Irish. Unfortunately far too many beautiful names have become anglicised, but thankfully lots of the original Irish names are making a comeback.

I dislike names like Jayden/Cayden/Hayden too and Freddie, Beau, Donte, Silas, Kieran, Zachary, Nathan, Tyler, Kyle and many more.

For girls, I dislike Arianna, Tegan, Claire, Kaitlyn, Faith, Hope, Nevaeh, Trinity, Madeline, Maddison and many more.

It's interesting to see different tastes.

x

I agree with what someone said above about being a Jack or Lily...... awful common names. I regret giving my Harry his name because there are prob going to be a dozen of them in his class at school

What names are you considering for your second baby? I'm years away from TTC but me and my OH discuss names all the time..Sadbh is a winner anyway!

For a boy possibly Oísin, I think it's harder to come up with boys' names. For a girl, maybe Méabh or Orlaith. At least you'll be well prepared when the time comes Mushroom!

Also have to agree with this poster. Many different cultures have beautiful names and just because an English speaking person is unable to pronounce it does not make it odd. I am proud of my Indian name but I am fed up of people constantly telling me how unusual it is :growlmad: Its not unusual in Indian communities!! But then I do live and work in Dorset....

im not a lover of jayden kayden hayden either. i dont like dylan, callum, connor, kieran, archie, alfie... and girls names i dont like scarlet chantelle or chanel, kayla, lily, maddison, ruby, thalia, chardonnay (why would you do that?!) or any names that are just normal names spelt incorrectly ie. kloe, khlowee, deeviyne... it looks like the parent couldnt spell.

I hate when people spell my name as katy... its katIE.

Heehee, I'm a Katy and I hate when people spell my name Katie! I feel your pain, no-one ever gets it right! And it used to royally piss me off that there were never any of the 'name' things like mugs etc that you get in card shops that had the right spelling on! :haha:

For baby names I don't like the '-ayden' names for boys, or anything blatantly made up or misspelled...I will be imagining my babies as doctors or other professional adults when we name them! I'm not keen on anything that's overly popular, I don't fancy my poor child being one of 15 Jacks or Lilys in his/her class at school. I just hope the names we DO like don't get too popular when we have our kids!

I have said it on here once or twice but you can never be certain. I have a Matthew and Ruby. They are both the only children with those names in a school of 270 pupils. I think sometimes people dont use names because they think other people will. I know there are 2 Zephs and 2 Ezras in my daughters year. I also hear Rowan, Isla, Clementine and Tobias alot. I wouldn't say they were generally popular but I hear them more than I hear others. I dont think their is a Jack or Lilly in Matthews year group!.

I guess the issue is pick a name YOU like, not whether its popular or not.

I guess the issue is pick a name YOU like said:
Hear hear. My sister was worried after Crouchy called his girl Sophia Ruby - as she wanted Ruby as a first name for her baby girl. Her partner said it really doesn't matter - if you like it, stick with it!

:flower:

I love but also hate the Ava's, Eva's, Evie's, Grace, Gracie's etc ...

And also I would NEVER use names such as Katie, Sarah, Laura, Gemma, Emma just because they're names that were dead common when I was at school.

I really can't stand the Irish type names where the spelling is just ridiculous and the kid will be spelling it out for the rest of their lives.. such as...

Aoife EE-FAH
Sinéad SHI-NAYDE
Siobhán- SHUV-AWN
Áine- AWN-YAH
Aisling- ASH-LING
Cáit- CAWTCH
Róisín- ROE- SHEEN
Emer/Eimear- EE-MUR
Aoibheann- EE-VEEN
Aoibhe- EVA
Mairéad- MURR-ADE
Síofra- SHEEF-RAH
Máire- MOY-RAH
Caoimhe- KWEE-VAH
Sorcha- SOOR-KAH
Niamh- NEEVE
Maebh- MAVE
Saoirse- SEER-SHA
Gráinne- GRAWN-YAH
Orlaith- OR-LAH
Caitríona- Ca-TREEN-ah
Eilish- EYE-LISH
Ailish- A-LISH
Ailbhe- ALVA
Eithne- EHT-NAH
Muireann- MWIR-IN
Bébhinn- BAY-VIN
Bláthnaid- BLOH-NID
Dearbhail- DUR-VIL
Chlodagh- CHLO-DAH
Réaltín- RAIL-TEEN
Caoilfhionn- KEEL-IN
Iseult- EE-ZULT
Nóinín- NO-NEEN

Cáit- CAWTCH ??
As in Couch, as in seatee or sofa? :haha:

I knew a girl in uni called Saoirse- SEER-SHA
She was nice and it's a nice name but she ended up telling us all to just call her seahourse! :dohh:

I guess the issue is pick a name YOU like said:
Hear hear. My sister was worried after Crouchy called his girl Sophia Ruby - as she wanted Ruby as a first name for her baby girl. Her partner said it really doesn't matter - if you like it, stick with it!

:flower:

I think Ruby is a lovely name ;) OH brought me a Ruby necklace after I had my daughter and now she is old enough to understand that her name means Red Gem and she loves it :)

I knew this was going to be a controversial thread but just to put my two cents in -

I don't like the name Whitney. For some reason, it just has this snobby or stuck up connotation to me. All the girls I've known with this name are complete b*tches. :roll:

That's just my past experience though, I could very possibly meet a nice one. :haha:

Aoife EE-FAH
Sinéad SHI-NAYDE
Siobhán- SHUV-AWN
Áine- AWN-YAH
Aisling- ASH-LING
Cáit- CAWTCH
Róisín- ROE- SHEEN
Emer/Eimear- EE-MUR
Aoibheann- EE-VEEN
Aoibhe- EVA
Mairéad- MURR-ADE
Síofra- SHEEF-RAH
Máire- MOY-RAH
Caoimhe- KWEE-VAH
Sorcha- SOOR-KAH
Niamh- NEEVE
Maebh- MAVE
Saoirse- SEER-SHA
Gráinne- GRAWN-YAH
Orlaith- OR-LAH
Caitríona- Ca-TREEN-ah
Eilish- EYE-LISH
Ailish- A-LISH
Ailbhe- ALVA
Eithne- EHT-NAH
Muireann- MWIR-IN
Bébhinn- BAY-VIN
Bláthnaid- BLOH-NID
Dearbhail- DUR-VIL
Chlodagh- CHLO-DAH
Réaltín- RAIL-TEEN
Caoilfhionn- KEEL-IN
Iseult- EE-ZULT
Nóinín- NO-NEEN

Cáit- CAWTCH ??
As in Couch, as in seatee or sofa? :haha:

I knew a girl in uni called Saoirse- SEER-SHA
She was nice and it's a nice name but she ended up telling us all to just call her seahourse! :dohh:

Haha nope it's actually very difficult to phonetically spell it- WAY harder than the rest of the names! It's kind of like CAWCH if that makes it eaier? Much harsher sound than couch! And a definite 'caw' sound. Cáitlín would be CAWCH-leen...but Caitlin is Kate-lyn! Depends if you put in the fadas (accents over letters) or not.

I actually don't know any Saoirses! It was big around the time of Ireland's independence because it means Freedom but it's onl got popularagain in the last few years. Nice though.

For a boy possibly Oísin, I think it's harder to come up with boys' names. For a girl, maybe Méabh or Orlaith. At least you'll be well prepared when the time comes Mushroom!

Yeah I don't think there's as many nice Irish boys names. Oisín and Maebh are both on my 'list', I love them! Pity my OH doesn't...yet. Ooo Orlaith is lovely too. Best of luck choosing your names!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->