What are some names you dislike?

Kimmer- My went blank you reminded me of Archie... i knew there was 2 beginning with A that remind me of pet names :lol:

Old fashioned names like - Mary, Alice, Lily, Margaret, Edward, William, Andrew, Colin etc

I really can't stand the Irish type names where the spelling is just ridiculous and the kid will be spelling it out for the rest of their lives.. such as...

Aoife
Sinéad
Siobhán
Áine
Aisling
Cáit
Róisín
Emer/Eimear
Aoibheann
Aoibhe
Sadbh
Mairéad
Síofra
Máire
Caoimhe
Sorcha
Niamh
Maebh
Saoirse
Gráinne
Orlaith
Caitríona
Eilish
Ailish
Ailbhe
Eithne
Muireann
Bébhinn
Bláthnaid
Clíodhna
Dearbhai
Chlodagh
Réaltín
Caoilfhionn
Iseult
Nóinín

I literally cannot pronounce one single one of those :dohh:

I loooove most of the names on that list. One of our top 2 names is on it :cloud9: (7 out of the 8 girls names I came up for my girls names list are on that list in fact lol)

Thereagain I get really annoyed by stupid anglicised spelling of Irish and Scottish names. It's real bugbear of mine.

I hate all names that have got weird spellings/formats as the parents want to make the name 'different'. I'm a Charlotte and met a Sharlotte a while ago as her Mum said it shouldn't start with a C as it sounds like it should start with an S :wacko: Never understood this whole 'names should be pronounced exactly as they are spelt' train of thought some people have, if you like a name learn to spell it!!

anything beginning with an 'X' i really dislike.. don't even know why! :haha: xx

my sil is called Caitríona but her name is spelt catreona instead

Catriona here is pronounced as Ka-tree-na usually and not Ka-tree-oh-na! It's weird.

yeah my sils name is pronounced ka tree oh na. i dont like her but i quiet like the name. my mil was only adventurous with her girls names cuz her 2 boys 1 being my oh she just swapped their names around. my oh is thomas james and his little brother is james thomas hahaha

my sil is called Caitríona but her name is spelt catreona instead

Catriona here is pronounced as Ka-tree-na usually and not Ka-tree-oh-na! It's weird.

yeah my sils name is pronounced ka tree oh na. i dont like her but i quiet like the name. my mil was only adventurous with her girls names cuz her 2 boys 1 being my oh she just swapped their names around. my oh is thomas james and his little brother is james thomas hahaha

Isn't that just 'Katrina'?x

no its not katrina which is pronounced ka tree na my sils name has a oh sound in it hence being ka tree OH na :)

aw i like it! and i'm not surprised.. i get so fed up when people mispronounce my name :dohh: xx

I really can't stand the Irish type names where the spelling is just ridiculous and the kid will be spelling it out for the rest of their lives.. such as...

Aoife EE-FAH
Sinéad SHI-NAYDE
Siobhán- SHUV-AWN
Áine- AWN-YAH
Aisling- ASH-LING
Cáit- CAWTCH
Róisín- ROE- SHEEN
Emer/Eimear- EE-MUR
Aoibheann- EE-VEEN
Aoibhe- EVA
Sadbh- SIVE (rhymes with I've)
Mairéad- MURR-ADE
Síofra- SHEEF-RAH
Máire- MOY-RAH
Caoimhe- KWEE-VAH
Sorcha- SOOR-KAH
Niamh- NEEVE
Maebh- MAVE
Saoirse- SEER-SHA
Gráinne- GRAWN-YAH
Orlaith- OR-LAH
Caitríona- Ca-TREEN-ah
Eilish- EYE-LISH
Ailish- A-LISH
Ailbhe- ALVA
Eithne- EHT-NAH
Muireann- MWIR-IN
Bébhinn- BAY-VIN
Bláthnaid- BLOH-NID
Clíodhna- CLEE-NA/CLEE-Oh-NA
Dearbhail- DUR-VIL
Chlodagh- CHLO-DAH
Réaltín- RAIL-TEEN
Caoilfhionn- KEEL-IN
Iseult- EE-ZULT
Nóinín- NO-NEEN

There I pronounced them for you! :) I get what you're saying that some are very hard to pronounce but you're ignoring why- because they are in a foreign language. It comes across as offensive to blast a language like that. Obviously you're perfectly entitled to dislike them and correctly say that yes some are quite difficult to pronounce but I do think you should take into account that they are not deliberately so- it's because they are in Irish. It's not the fault of the names that they are used abroad where the language is unfamiliar. Your point about pronouncing/spelling them could be said for a whole host of new modern names or names spelled differently too. Those Irish names have a cultural background, a good few are thousands of years old. Their spelling and pronunciations makes perfect sense to me since I'm fluent!

I have no problem with anglicising them. Makes perfect sense- the beauty of the name but easy to pronounce. Wouldn't be the biggest fan of their usage here in Ireland but in the North and abroad- absolutely fine, and good to see.

I don't like the name Caitríona!It is my name (Catherine) in Irish, never liked it, and when in Irish summer college I got forcibly called it. Ughh! hate Maura, Bridget, Josephine, Geraldine, Fergus, Fergal, Concepta, Agnes, Paula, Pauline, Claudine, Noreen. I am not a fan of the Jayden/Kayden names either. I do know a 20 year old Jayden (shocked the name was around in 91!) and it suits him but I still don't like it.

Angus will always remind me of
Angus, thongs and perfect snogging film :lol:

just the cat is called angus and thats the only time iv ever heard it :shrug:

Iv said before though im not a fan of names people give there pet dogs/cats

Alfie and Archie (to me is what old people call there dogs)
Jasper (neighbour had a dog called it)
Bailey (because its my dogs name)
OH's got a cat called Saffron :wacko: which i found odd as Saffron is more a human name :lol:
Felix (always always will mean felix off the advert lol)
Milo (cats name to me)

Also not keen on xanier/zander whatever it is i just don't understand it :shrug:
Maybe from different areas names are alright and are common in the area etc from place to place names change dramaticly

I LOVE boys names that can be used for pet dogs, particularly sheep dogs. Infact I don't know if I'd consider a name that couldn't be used for a puppy. My little boy is gonna be Rory Oscar which is probably exactly what you hate :haha:

No i don't consider Rory as a pet name! i love that name :)
Oscar im not so keen on but each to there own .. some names now people call pets names that id call my kid :dohh: like bella .. for me its because theres reasons behind them if there wasnt any reasons i would like them :haha: :winkwink:

but no i like what your son's name is going to be :thumbup:

Angus will always remind me of
Angus, thongs and perfect snogging film :lol:

just the cat is called angus and thats the only time iv ever heard it :shrug:

Iv said before though im not a fan of names people give there pet dogs/cats

Alfie and Archie (to me is what old people call there dogs)
Jasper (neighbour had a dog called it)
Bailey (because its my dogs name)
OH's got a cat called Saffron :wacko: which i found odd as Saffron is more a human name :lol:
Felix (always always will mean felix off the advert lol)
Milo (cats name to me)

Also not keen on xanier/zander whatever it is i just don't understand it :shrug:
Maybe from different areas names are alright and are common in the area etc from place to place names change dramaticly

I LOVE boys names that can be used for pet dogs, particularly sheep dogs. Infact I don't know if I'd consider a name that couldn't be used for a puppy. My little boy is gonna be Rory Oscar which is probably exactly what you hate :haha:

I think Rory Oscar is an adorable name! :)

I think Neveah is dreadful. Not a big fan of Cash.

Don't know why any parent would give their kids names with weird spellings, either.

I dont like Nevaeh either! Makes me cringe.

Other than that, I have names I dont like but each to own. I am keen on original spellings though and no Z's instead of S's x

Aoife
Sinéad
Siobhán
Áine
Aisling
Cáit
Róisín
Emer/Eimear
Aoibheann
Aoibhe
Sadbh
Mairéad
Síofra
Máire
Caoimhe
Sorcha
Niamh
Maebh
Saoirse
Gráinne
Orlaith
Caitríona
Eilish
Ailish
Ailbhe
Eithne
Muireann
Bébhinn
Bláthnaid
Clíodhna
Dearbhai
Chlodagh
Réaltín
Caoilfhionn
Iseult
Nóinín

I also dislike all the older names: Alfie, Archie, Maggie, Brian etc. My minds gone blank now!

Im irish and dont like irish names myself

btw hope this helps on some of your above names :flower:
Aoife pronuced E-Fa
Sinéad pronuced Shin-ead
Siobhán pronuced shove-awn
Áine pronuced an-ya
Aisling pronuced ash-ling
Cáit pronuced cat
Róisín pronuced ro-sheen
Emer/Eimear pronuced e-mer
Aoibheann pronunced a-veen
Aoibhe pronunced e-fa
Sadbh actually dunno, i hate it..
Mairéad pronunced mar-aid
Síofra - :shrug:
Máire pronuced marry
Caoimhe pronunced key-vah
Sorcha pronunced sorce-kah
Niamh pronunced neeve
Maebh :shrug:
Saoirse pronunced sorce-kah
Gráinne pronunced Grawn-ya
Orlaith pronunced or -la
Caitríona pronunced cat-tri-na
Eilish pronunced a-lish
Ailish same as above
Ailbhe pronunced e-vah
Eithne pronunced eat-in
Muireann pronunced more-ean
Bébhinn :shrug:
Bláthnaid pronunced blawn-aid
Clíodhna :shrug:
Dearbhai :shrug:
Chlodagh pronunced clo-da
Réaltín :shrug:
Caoilfhionn :shrug:
Iseult:shrug:
Nóinín:shrug:

Aoife EE-FAH
Sinéad SHI-NAYDE
Siobhán- SHUV-AWN
Áine- AWN-YAH
Aisling- ASH-LING
Cáit- CAWTCH
Róisín- ROE- SHEEN
Emer/Eimear- EE-MUR
Aoibheann- EE-VEEN
Aoibhe- EVA
Sadbh- SIVE (rhymes with I've)
Mairéad- MURR-ADE
Síofra- SHEEF-RAH
Máire- MOY-RAH
Caoimhe- KWEE-VAH
Sorcha- SOOR-KAH
Niamh- NEEVE
Maebh- MAVE
Saoirse- SEER-SHA
Gráinne- GRAWN-YAH
Orlaith- OR-LAH
Caitríona- Ca-TREEN-ah
Eilish- EYE-LISH
Ailish- A-LISH
Ailbhe- ALVA
Eithne- EHT-NAH
Muireann- MWIR-IN
Bébhinn- BAY-VIN
Bláthnaid- BLOH-NID
Clíodhna- CLEE-NA/CLEE-Oh-NA
Dearbhail- DUR-VIL
Chlodagh- CHLO-DAH
Réaltín- RAIL-TEEN
Caoilfhionn- KEEL-IN
Iseult- EE-ZULT
Nóinín- NO-NEEN

There I pronounced them for you! :) I get what you're saying that some are very hard to pronounce but you're ignoring why- because they are in a foreign language. It comes across as offensive to blast a language like that. Obviously you're perfectly entitled to dislike them and correctly say that yes some are quite difficult to pronounce but I do think you should take into account that they are not deliberately so- it's because they are in Irish. It's not the fault of the names that they are used abroad where the language is unfamiliar. Your point about pronouncing/spelling them could be said for a whole host of new modern names or names spelled differently too. Those Irish names have a cultural background, a good few are thousands of years old. Their spelling and pronunciations makes perfect sense to me since I'm fluent!

I have no problem with anglicising them. Makes perfect sense- the beauty of the name but easy to pronounce. Wouldn't be the biggest fan of their usage here in Ireland but in the North and abroad- absolutely fine, and good to see.

I don't like the name Caitríona!It is my name (Catherine) in Irish, never liked it, and when in Irish summer college I got forcibly called it. Ughh! hate Maura, Bridget, Josephine, Geraldine, Fergus, Fergal, Concepta, Agnes, Paula, Pauline, Claudine, Noreen. I am not a fan of the Jayden/Kayden names either. I do know a 20 year old Jayden (shocked the name was around in 91!) and it suits him but I still don't like it.

:dohh: had sent my reply when i read this :haha:
iv one of those names you mentioned and i HATE my name... PAULINE:growlmad: why my mam called me that il never understand
my sons name is Cayden :haha:
i LOVE it, its got special meaning to me
it was name i had picked if my lil girl was a boy
my lil girl was born a girl obv but sadly died
and afterwards i found out the meaning of the name cayden
found out then in 09 i was pregnant with a boy
and the only name i wanted was cayden, i had a eventful, tough pregnancy and he faught the whole way, so for me there was no option his name was cayden it means fighter.. and i still LOVE it...

my oh sis called her new baby hes 6mths Jayden :haha:

just shows how everyones taste difffers:flower:

I think it is funny that so many people dont like Daniel. That is OH and oldest ds name, actually OH hates it too, but I love it. Sounds very strong to me. No offense taken of course, just a comment.

I dont like
Earl
Carl
Harold, anything that sounds old like that.
Most 80s names, crystal, tiffany, jennifer, amy, lisa,
brian, jeff, scott, mike,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"