What are some names you dislike?

Im with you on the hayden, jayden, jaylynn... I too cannot stand when parents mispell names trying to be different.
I have a cousin who named her child Chloe, but spelled kloi. She gets called "kloy". AH!
For my youth I hated my own name. Im over that now though!
I dislike the name Jason, simply because Ive only met Jason's that were disagreeable people.
Gaerwen

I dont like Nevaeh either! Makes me cringe.

Other than that, I have names I dont like but each to own. I am keen on original spellings though and no Z's instead of S's x

Agree! Nevaeh is the worst name on the planet - trash! I'm getting quite tired of Abby and Sophia as well and don't get me started on the ayden names for boys...sissy names.

I don't think i dare tell anyone my names iv got picked
out for this baby :dohh: people probs say something bad
about them both :haha: but spose its each to there own
i just get put off by others opinions haha glad im keeping
them quite till 20 weeks or even birth :lol:

It's cool! No one but my husband and I like the names we have picked out! I could care less - you should too.

There's no name that I really HATE.....but I do find that some people "ruin" names for me. Like, I'll never name my child Tara because I know a Tara who is a total nut job....I'll never name my child Brandon because that was the name of my first boyfriend....I'll never name my child Jason because all the Jason's I know are slimy characters....LOL

:rofl: Love how I come back to this thread to see I've been called ignorant for not liking Irish names!

I just don't like the names, I don't like the spelling.. how ignorant of me.

:rofl: Love how I come back to this thread to see I've been called ignorant for not liking Irish names!

It probably makes you racist too haha!

You're perfectly entitled to not like Irish names! The point was, you called the spelling and pronunciation ridiculous. It is not ridiculous as the names are in Irish, not English, and it is not the names fault they are used outside of Ireland. They make perfect sense...in IRISH. It comes across badly. I doubt you would say the same thing about other ethnic names. There is a difference in saying 'I think that's an ugly name, I'd NEVER use it' and what you said. I was not alone in finding issue with your post by the way, a good few others had the same point as me.

Nobody is saying you can't say you don't like the names, and obviously yes they would be difficult outside of Ireland. But blasting them for their spelling and pronunciation because they are in a different language IS ignorant.

I really can't stand the Irish type names where the spelling is just ridiculous and the kid will be spelling it out for the rest of their lives.. such as...

Aoife EE-FAH
Sinéad SHI-NAYDE
Siobhán- SHUV-AWN
Áine- AWN-YAH
Aisling- ASH-LING
Cáit- CAWTCH
Róisín- ROE- SHEEN
Emer/Eimear- EE-MUR
Aoibheann- EE-VEEN
Aoibhe- EVA
Sadbh- SIVE (rhymes with I've)
Mairéad- MURR-ADE
Síofra- SHEEF-RAH
Máire- MOY-RAH
Caoimhe- KWEE-VAH
Sorcha- SOOR-KAH
Niamh- NEEVE
Maebh- MAVE
Saoirse- SEER-SHA
Gráinne- GRAWN-YAH
Orlaith- OR-LAH
Caitríona- Ca-TREEN-ah
Eilish- EYE-LISH
Ailish- A-LISH
Ailbhe- ALVA
Eithne- EHT-NAH
Muireann- MWIR-IN
Bébhinn- BAY-VIN
Bláthnaid- BLOH-NID
Clíodhna- CLEE-NA/CLEE-Oh-NA
Dearbhail- DUR-VIL
Chlodagh- CHLO-DAH
Réaltín- RAIL-TEEN
Caoilfhionn- KEEL-IN
Iseult- EE-ZULT
Nóinín- NO-NEEN
I literally cannot pronounce one single one of those :dohh:

Cáit- CAWTCH ??
As in Couch, as in seatee or sofa? :haha:

I knew a girl in uni called Saoirse- SEER-SHA
She was nice and it's a nice name but she ended up telling us all to just call her seahourse! :dohh:

Haha nope it's actually very difficult to phonetically spell it- WAY harder than the rest of the names! It's kind of like CAWCH if that makes it eaier? Much harsher sound than couch! And a definite 'caw' sound. Cáitlín would be CAWCH-leen...but Caitlin is Kate-lyn! Depends if you put in the fadas (accents over letters) or not.

I actually don't know any Saoirses! It was big around the time of Ireland's independence because it means Freedom but it's onl got popularagain in the last few years. Nice though.

So a bit more like 'Core-ch'? :D
I am actually really bad a pronouning things I read :dohh: :haha:

Aw well I actually know two, and they were housemates :haha:
Is a lovely name but only now you've done the pronouncations acan I actually pronounce is .... wish I had seen this when I saw her a lot she probably thinks I'm a right pleb lol

Hmmm ... I'm actaully considering it as a name now ...
But I'm not Irish nor is OH ... hmmm :flower:

I really can't stand the Irish type names where the spelling is just ridiculous and the kid will be spelling it out for the rest of their lives.. such as...

Aoife EE-FAH
Sinéad SHI-NAYDE
Siobhán- SHUV-AWN
Áine- AWN-YAH
Aisling- ASH-LING
Cáit- CAWTCH
Róisín- ROE- SHEEN
Emer/Eimear- EE-MUR
Aoibheann- EE-VEEN
Aoibhe- EVA
Sadbh- SIVE (rhymes with I've)
Mairéad- MURR-ADE
Síofra- SHEEF-RAH
Máire- MOY-RAH
Caoimhe- KWEE-VAH
Sorcha- SOOR-KAH
Niamh- NEEVE
Maebh- MAVE
Saoirse- SEER-SHA
Gráinne- GRAWN-YAH
Orlaith- OR-LAH
Caitríona- Ca-TREEN-ah
Eilish- EYE-LISH
Ailish- A-LISH
Ailbhe- ALVA
Eithne- EHT-NAH
Muireann- MWIR-IN
Bébhinn- BAY-VIN
Bláthnaid- BLOH-NID
Clíodhna- CLEE-NA/CLEE-Oh-NA
Dearbhail- DUR-VIL
Chlodagh- CHLO-DAH
Réaltín- RAIL-TEEN
Caoilfhionn- KEEL-IN
Iseult- EE-ZULT
Nóinín- NO-NEEN
I literally cannot pronounce one single one of those :dohh:

Cáit- CAWTCH ??
As in Couch, as in seatee or sofa? :haha:

I knew a girl in uni called Saoirse- SEER-SHA
She was nice and it's a nice name but she ended up telling us all to just call her seahourse! :dohh:

Haha nope it's actually very difficult to phonetically spell it- WAY harder than the rest of the names! It's kind of like CAWCH if that makes it eaier? Much harsher sound than couch! And a definite 'caw' sound. Cáitlín would be CAWCH-leen...but Caitlin is Kate-lyn! Depends if you put in the fadas (accents over letters) or not.

I actually don't know any Saoirses! It was big around the time of Ireland's independence because it means Freedom but it's onl got popularagain in the last few years. Nice though.

So a bit more like 'Core-ch'? :D
I am actually really bad a pronouning things I read :dohh: :haha:

Aw well I actually know two, and they were housemates :haha:
Is a lovely name but only now you've done the pronouncations acan I actually pronounce is .... wish I had seen this when I saw her a lot she probably thinks I'm a right pleb lol

Hmmm ... I'm actaully considering it as a name now ...
But I'm not Irish nor is OH ... hmmm :flower:

Ah no it's very difficult to describe the sound. Nah no r sound in it- a bit more like saying couch but replacing the 'ou' sound with 'aw'. I don't think you'll come across that one much anyway!

Yeah it is nice isn't it, be prepared for you and your child to be pronouncing it for life though!

Your post did come across as ignorant to me as it's not just one or two names you dislike but all 'Irish-type names' so you're basically criticising an entire language, to say that kids would spend the rest of their lives spelling them out and that you can't pronounce one of them may be true for someone completely unfamiliar with the names or outside of Ireland but not for most Irish people. You are perfectly entitled not to like Irish names, each to their own, it's the way you expressed this dislike which showed a lack of respect for the language. I would imagine you would've received some negative responses had you made a similar post about another language and names in this language, eg Welsh.

Your post did come across as ignorant to me as it's not just one or two names you dislike but all 'Irish-type names' so you're basically criticising an entire language, to say that kids would spend the rest of their lives spelling them out and that you can't pronounce one of them may be true for someone completely unfamiliar with the names or outside of Ireland but not for most Irish people. You are perfectly entitled not to like Irish names, each to their own, it's the way you expressed this dislike which showed a lack of respect for the language. I would imagine you would've received some negative responses had you made a similar post about another language and names in this language, eg Welsh.

Actually, someone said they hated American names...what's the difference?

Break it up, break it up ladies! All of the names in this post suck.

Irish names are difficult to pronounce, I wont even try to pronounce them. Just safer that way!

American names are mostly made up, so understandable not to like them also. --I mean come on Chaquita, i actually asked the girl if her mom was a fan of bannanas...

And I love the -Aiden names! My NEICE is Aiden Grace. My altime favorite boys names is Brayden (OH hated it). OH's favorite boys name is Jayden (I think its more of girls name, there for said no to it).

Cant stand the names: Cassidy, Bridget, Carmen, Cloe, Sheena, and a ton of others as well.

like some of the others, i don't like names that are super common. These include, but not limited to:

michael
john
david
brian
chris
jennifer
jessica
michelle

Actually, someone said they hated American names...what's the difference?

The other poster didn't just say she hated Irish names, her post came across as critical of Irish as a language and was ignorant of the fact that the names are apparently difficult to spell and pronounciate because they form part of a different language which is unique to Ireland.

Wow, loads of people hate Jayden! I may be a bit bias as my son is Jayden, but I absolutely adore the name! I think it just has a lovely sound to it!

.. But then again I don't like Aiden, Hayden or Kaden! :haha:

I know old fashioned names are coming back into fashion and I love them but there are some that should just remain in the past!

Like ...

Cuthbert, Edger, Gilbert, Cyril, Silas, Cedric, Bruce, Herbert ..

Bertha, Francine, Gladys, Agnes, Ethel, Mavis, Winifred, Ethel, Sybil ..

i dont think id care if someone said they didnt like my boys name,like lunarose said i love it because its my boys name lol
....altho i havent seen it listed YAY lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->