What are your opinions on bringing a child up vegan?

I think its a great idea. It is healthy, you know there are tons of benefits, thats why you are doing it, so why not? She won't be missing out on anything. Vegans are proven to live longer anyways.

I say if you are doing it, do it!

I wish I had the willpower. Maybe I will look into it too :D

I think it's fabulous that you want to raise Abigail as a vegan, and testament to you as a mum that you are so dedicated to giving her the best nutrition you can.

As you say, her diet will be varied and won't be lacking in any essential vitamins or minerals.

I will just say, if it were me raising a vegan family, I would be sure to not demonise meat or dairy, as it's my opinion that it can be part of a healthy diet and can be sourced from farms and butchers (even some supermarkets now) with excellent standards. I would be worried about creating a food complex or something, I wouldn't want anyone to be scared of a food group or intolerant of others who chose to eat them.

Clearly you are very open minded hun and I can't imagine this would be an issue for you at all!

It's probably cos I have a niece who is a super fussy eater, so I'm conscious of how I will be dealing with food myself!

It sounds like a great thing to do for your family, go for it I say, and enjoy it!

Oooh, tell me more about the FDA please!!

i really think its up to you its something im interested in for ,my self im a veggie already but id have to look into it for my lo!

theres a really good vitamin to take if your veggie called vegepa its contains no dairy or gulten and is highly recomended by lots of doctors for brain and heart function x

^^^^ Thank you, no Abigail will not be raised to be look her nose down on people that eat meat. When her or my friends come over, I will make normal meat meals e.t.c I just wont be eating any myself. Like I said before, I have eaten meat for 24 years, but I will be educating her about the reasons why I no longer do so. They are valid reasons. When she gets older, its up to her to decide what she wants to do, but I am hoping the evidence, is enough to deter her from a meat diet. There are virtually no nutrients in animal-based foods that are not better provided by plants.

About the FDA well....one word. Corrupt.

In 1990, the Monsanto company (agricultural company) sought FDA approval for Posilac which is Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH), (used to increase cows' milk production) is banned in the all of the European Union, Canda, Japan, and every other industrialized country in the world. It has been linked to increased levels of Insulin Growth Factor-1, and has been known to promote prostate & thyroid cancer but the FDA have no interest in these findings and still approve the use of it. They ignore the fact that the WHO or the United Nations Food Standards body refuse to endorse the hormone's safety and STILL choose to allow the use of Posilac.

Now here is just SOME of the corruption,

Extract taken from Skinny Bitch:

" The FDA Deputy commisioner at the time of the BGH approval was a former Monsanto lawyer.During his tenure at the FDA, this same deputy commissioner wrote the policy exempting BGH from special labeling. Yet, fingers also point to a former top scientist with Monstanto, who was hired by the FDA to review her own research, conducted where she was working for Monsanto. This little beauty also allowed a hundred-fold increase of antibiotic resides in milk.

What I find quite shocking, is that the scientist reviewed her OWN work?

"Fear not. The FDA's bad behaviour isnt singular to the dairy industry. It also has a sketchy history with monosodium glutumate (MSG). One former FDA Commissioner testified before the Senate Select Committee on Nutrition that MSG was safe, citing four sources. It was later discovered that two of the studies were non existent, and the other two were incomplete!

Ever see the words, "natural flavours" on food packaging ingredient lists? Yeah, that's because the FDA allows companies to be vague and doesnt require them to tell us exactly what we're eating. The FDA has a list of approximatly 400 foods that meet a standard of identity" meaning, companies arent required to spell out their ingredients. For example, ice cream manufacturers can use any of 25 specified additives without listing them in their ingredients. Who wants to put something into his or her body without even knowing what it is?

There is so much bureaucracy and red tape surrounding health related government agencies that your are much better off fending for yourself. After all, why would anyone take nutritional advice from organizations that let colour dyes, hydrogenated oils, chemical preservatives, and artificial flavours into the food we eat?"

The makers of Ben & Jerry's are environment activists, and swear that the milk used for the ice cream is from the healthiest cows. Yet, dioxin was found in unhealthily large numbers in a sample of ice-cream in supermarkets.

This kind of information rarely gets out in the public, as there would be outrage but its the people at the *top* that are allowing this information to be kept quiet.

Thought I would add that the FDA deals with primarily US. And the FSA deals with us over here, but they are both cut from the same pod as far as I am concerned.

Sorry Hon - no offence but this was bugging me all night - not because I have any fundamental objections to vegetarianism or vegan ism, but just because I'm a stickler for detail :blush:

Meat-eaters: have claws
Herbivores: no claws
Humans: no claws
Guinea pigs, rabbits etc all have claws but are herbivores. Chimpanzees and others of the monkey and great ape families don't have claws in the true sense either, but they eat meat

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue
Herbivores: perspire through skin pores
Humans: perspire through skin pores
Just about the only animals that perspire through skin pores are horses, cows and humans - plenty of herbivores perspire through their tongues or by other mechanisms

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding
Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
Strictly speaking our canine teeth are sharp front teeth, but that is strongly debated ... more to the point is that in most strict herbivores teeth are continually growing as their diet grinds away the teeth and if they didn't have continual growth they would be down to gums in no time at all - humans, in common with carnivores, do not have this facility

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly
Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat
Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.
Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits
Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits
Omnivores like chimpanzees and pigs also have alkaline saliva with ptyalin which are required to pre digest grains as part of a mixed diet

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
as above

It could also be argued that carnivores/predators have forward facing eyes, whereas herbivores have eyes on the sides of their heads - we obviously have forward facing eyes.

Personally I'm of the opinion that we as humans are omnivorous - like pigs, bears, some primates, rats, hedgehogs, squirrels and a variety of other animals... we have adapted in such a way as to expand our dietary sources across such a wide range of potential foodstuffs that we are able to sustain ourselves in most situations :)

:flower::flower:

I havent read all the other posts as there is loads but if the child is getting the vitamins and all the things the child needs then I dont see why not. Obviously if there arent any supplements to add the things meat gives then I'd say no I dont think its right..

As long as all the supplements are there and available :thumbup:

Hiya,iv not read all the replies by my thoughts are-i have been a veggie myself for over 15 years due to moral reasons and i am one of the healthiest people i know so i would have no qualms making my son veggie with regards to diet BUT i don't think it's fair for social reasons.When he goes to his friends parties there may be nothing there he can eat (even more so for a vegan diet) so he would either just eat a bit of meat maybe without knowing! or be left out,singled out and be made to feel the odd one out which i would hate. Same at school,school trips,going round to friends houses after school,birthday cakes etc.

I think childhood can be hard enough as it is and want my son to fit in and just have fun.,and not worry about what he should and shouldnt be eating.Therefore i will leave him to make his own decisions as i don't think it's fair to inflict my views upon him.

Saying that-if he turned round at 12 and said he's going veggie,like i did,then i'd be delighted! xx

So as the title says......opinions please?

I have recently just turned vegan. I have been a meat eater for 24 years, so this has been a big change for me. The transition has taken about two months, as I made some mistakes. There is dairy in literally EVERYTHING! :dohh: I am not really an animal rights activist as such, but after spending so much time researching the benefits of having a whole foods, plant based diet, reading the 'China Study' speaking to doctors and healthcare professionals I have decided to become a dietary vegan. The transition has not been easy at all! But, ever since making this change, as well as doing a detox the pounds have literally dropped off!

Now, before I started enlightening myself on this sort of lifestyle, I had the opinion that it should be up to the child to decide, and veggie or vegan parents should not force their attitudes on there child as it is really unfair. However, now that I have found out some of the things I have, I realise this may be quite a narrowminded view, or maybe not?

I am hoping to God this doesnt turn into an arguement, as I really would like to know other people's views. My fiance is a meat eater e.t.c, but thinks that we should bring up Abigail Vegan since I have told him all about my research. He is very supportive, but since I had that old 'view' before I am wondering whether I am doing the right thing, even though the evidence suggests that it is?

What do you all think?

EternalRose

I think it's your personal choice as a parent and as long as you can provide a balanced healthy diet, and it's not affecting the kids health, its fine. Anyone who shouts and screams that its wrong with out any research, blah blah need to mind their business and concentrate on their own food regime.

If shes never had animal products, she's not going to know what she missed, you know, but at the same time, if when she's older she is curious, let (if it were me) I'd let her try and decide for her self.

I've actually got button on a mostly vegan diet right now (under the direction of the Dr) as she has a dairy intolerance (dairy gives her horrendous diarrhoea and yeast nappy rash)
As you say, SO much has milk in it, and 85% of the time it's not noted as 'milk', has some odd 30 letter name. It's insane. Even some pre-packaged sandwich meats have certain parts of milk in, so it's just easier not to give it, you know?

And I feel bad she can't have the fun things with milk in, but you know what? She don't know any difference. She devours vegan cheese and vegan mac and cheese (both which taste like old flip flops I might add haha) like it's ambrosia!!

Good luck in your choice!

sorry just curious but milk and dairy is really important in toddlers diets how do vegans replace this?

Its a myth that calcium can only come from cows milk. Saying that there is soy milk, rice milk, almond milk alternatives. If you ensure that it is B12 fortified, (there is an ongoing debate about this supplement) then it should be OK. Rice milk does have less protein then Soy Milk though. Soy milk seems to be the better option as it is has no cholesteral and less fat but it is very comparable to cows milk. Also, eating plenty of green leafy vegetables will ensure that the calcium need is met. From what I have read, having a diet high in animal protein does cause calcium losses anyway.

ETA: https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm

This! The only thing about soy in lit'luns tho is, you have to be careful giving it to them so young/giving so much as it can make their body develop an allergy to it. Missy has coconut milk right now on cereal and what not. I personally hate any kind of milk what so ever, but she loves it.She also has a 'vegan' butter' and 'vegan' yoghurt, again made from coconut milk.

Also, humans are not made to digest the proteins cows milk, thats why so many people have allergies to it. Plus todays milk is so processed to shit, theres not much goodness in it anyways, much better off getting a pint of raw milk from the local farmers market, has so much more of the natural stuff in it.

A lot of the concerns that have been posted are in fact myths. (Believe me, I've researched the shit out of it, because it's very frustrating trying to find foods she can eat with out milk in it!!) Lack of vits and nutrients, and so on. What do you think happens with kids with bad milk allergies, who physically can't drink it because it makes them horribly sick? There is always an alternative to 'dairy' products that is just as good.

Brill thread! TattiesMum - I am so glad you posted, it was annoying me too! I also agree that we are omnivorous. This sort of comparison is flawed in the same way as the raw food diet theories are flawed. We are not totally comparable with other animals in this way anyway as we have unique adaptations that have enabled us to cook and use tools and these have meant we can cook and prepare food in a way other animals can't. So we have then adapted to a different way of eating. Did you know that if we only ate raw we would need to eat continuously for 7 hours a day in order to get sufficient energy? Cooking breaks down the cells, whilst nutrients can be lost it makes digestibility infinitely easier.

Anyway, back to the original subject. I think it's fine. You've definitely done your research and as long as your child isn't significantly deficient in anything then it's fine. I am veggie and have been since I was 9. My husband turned veggie a couple of years after we met and we are raising Byron veggie too. I have to close my mind to the faults of the dairy industry as I don't think I could really manage without any dairy. Pretty sure I couldn't live without butter!

The assumption that meat eaters can't have deficiencies or necessarily eat healthily is annoying. I don't know any overweight or unhealthy vegetarians but lots of meat eaters that are, even those who think they are eating quite balanced. Rather than limiting options I think the meat eaters mentality that every meal must have some meat in it is more more narrow than a vegetarian diet. There seems to be some cultural block to even comprehending a meal without meat for many meat eaters.

There are however certain nutrients that are difficult to get as a veggie/vegan, dietary vitamin D is best from animal sources as are certain essential amino acids.

On the choosing for themselves thing, I agree with those who have said a veggie or vegan child can as easily choose to start eating meat in later life. This whole argument just shows the social stigma against people who don't eat meat. And as others have said our role as parents is to make decisions for our children, that's what parenting is. Parents make many worse choices for their children than following a healthy balanced vegan diet!

And finally, on the issue of fussiness, my parents brought me up on a varied well-balanced diet and I am the fussiest person ever. Eating meat wouldn't help this. I can't tolerate soggy foods so lots of vegetables and dishes literally make me retch. Kids will grow up how they grow up. My parents wonder if they should've fed us at 4pm after school with waffles and spaghetti shapes rather than all the wholesome nutritious stuff they made for us! I think my fussiness would be the same whatever and if nothing else the food my parents made gave me a taste for home-cooked which is infinitely better than ready meals.

Brill thread! TattiesMum - I am so glad you posted, it was annoying me too! I also agree that we are omnivorous. This sort of comparison is flawed in the same way as the raw food diet theories are flawed. We are not totally comparable with other animals in this way anyway as we have unique adaptations that have enabled us to cook and use tools and these have meant we can cook and prepare food in a way other animals can't. So we have then adapted to a different way of eating. Did you know that if we only ate raw we would need to eat continuously for 7 hours a day in order to get sufficient energy? Cooking breaks down the cells, whilst nutrients can be lost it makes digestibility infinitely easier.

Anyway, back to the original subject. I think it's fine. You've definitely done your research and as long as your child isn't significantly deficient in anything then it's fine. I am veggie and have been since I was 9. My husband turned veggie a couple of years after we met and we are raising Byron veggie too. I have to close my mind to the faults of the dairy industry as I don't think I could really manage without any dairy. Pretty sure I couldn't live without butter!

The assumption that meat eaters can't have deficiencies or necessarily eat healthily is annoying. I don't know any overweight or unhealthy vegetarians but lots of meat eaters that are, even those who think they are eating quite balanced. Rather than limiting options I think the meat eaters mentality that every meal must have some meat in it is more more narrow than a vegetarian diet. There seems to be some cultural block to even comprehending a meal without meat for many meat eaters.

There are however certain nutrients that are difficult to get as a veggie/vegan, dietary vitamin D is best from animal sources as are certain essential amino acids.

On the choosing for themselves thing, I agree with those who have said a veggie or vegan child can as easily choose to start eating meat in later life. This whole argument just shows the social stigma against people who don't eat meat. And as others have said our role as parents is to make decisions for our children, that's what parenting is. Parents make many worse choices for their children than following a healthy balanced vegan diet!

And finally, on the issue of fussiness, my parents brought me up on a varied well-balanced diet and I am the fussiest person ever. Eating meat wouldn't help this. I can't tolerate soggy foods so lots of vegetables and dishes literally make me retch. Kids will grow up how they grow up. My parents wonder if they should've fed us at 4pm after school with waffles and spaghetti shapes rather than all the wholesome nutritious stuff they made for us! I think my fussiness would be the same whatever and if nothing else the food my parents made gave me a taste for home-cooked which is infinitely better than ready meals.

Great post

I say go for it :) it's a perfectly healthy lifestyle, not one everyone can do but well done to you! I'm veggie but I had a few months of vegan eating, it was brilliant for my health but I missed cheese too much :blush: and how lovely is your OH supporting you like this! My ex gives my son meat when he's over there, I've asked him not to but it'll be done regardless of what I say :p but when he's here it's a no meat diet! His poos are always so much more pleasant when he's been at home haha :) don't let anyone make you feel bad, you're the one that's done the research and you know what's best for your baba! x

you said after your detox you had a vegan cheesecake with cream? how does that work?

you said after your detox you had a vegan cheesecake with cream? how does that work?

I'm gonna take a guess at soya cream :) you can make it yourself with soya milk, sugar, vegetable oil, cornflour and vanilla essence! x

I think if you make sure to eat a wide variety of acceptable foods you can live a healthy lifestyle. DS and DD both have allergies and we've had to modify our diets to make it work.

I like this blog:

https://vegandad.blogspot.com/

DD might never be allowed to have meat, dairy, soy -- it doesn't mean she'll be some skinny, sickly child because of it.

I think it's entirely up to you how you raise your child, and on which type of diet, providing you have researched it properly and can provide everything she needs, which it seems you have and can.

However, I firmly believe that if people choose to raise their child vegetatian or vegan they should also be open to and allow the child to decide he/she wants to eat meat later on and also be prepared to accomodate that, in the same way that I, as a meat eater would accomodate my children if they chose to be a vegetarian or vegan.

I also think it's important to bring children up understanding that there are other ways of doing things to how their parents do them and that that is not necessarily wrong and it is fine to have beliefs other than your parents hold. That doesn't just apply to diet though, although it can do. I, for example, do not believe in animal rights (other than that animals have the right to live free from harm or fear and be treated well and humanely throughout their lives and deaths) but do strongly believe in animal welfare. As such I only buy free range meats and we have our own hens for eggs. My children know and understand why I do this, but they also understand that others do not and the reasons why.

https://therawchef.com/therawchefblog/pomegranate-cheesecake-with-clementine-gelato

I made this exact dessert with Russell's recipe ( I love that man!) I just substituted the Pomegranate for Strawberries, and I put the strawberries on top. I didnt use soya milk, but almond milk for my ice cream. I also made the base thicker than Russells, it was bloody delicious. I ate this three days in a row and I still lost weight! :)

I don't believe in forcing anything upon my son that he doesn't have a say in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->