What are your opinions on bringing a child up vegan?

I do think that sometimes the reason people get so 'anti' about vegetarians and vegans is their holier than thou 'my diet is better than yours' or 'my ethics are more stringent' than yours attitudes. If someone wants to be a vegetarian or vegan, that is fine. Their decision, doesn't effect anyone else. Same if someone wants to eat meat. No need for either group to preach to the other about their choices.

i have to say that in my experience, generally speaking it is meat eaters that want to talk about diets and morals, not vegans/vegetarians. i never bring up the fact that i'm a vegetarian to people in conversation, unless they are offering me meat, but throughout my life i've been jumped on when people realise i'm a vegetarian. in an ideal world, i wouldn't want any single person to eat meat but i know i can't influence that so i don't bother trying to stop someone as they're eating a piece of meat. i don't challenge people and tell them how wrong i believe it is when they're eating it, but i've had to accept the fact that people think it's ok to tell me that it's wrong that i choose not to eat meat. if i were to tell them that i thought it was wrong to eat meat i'd be holier than thou - but it's fine for people to tell me it's ridiculous that i'm vegetarian, no one thinks they're a preaching meat eater.

i think the problem is a simple misunderstanding. most people don't consider themselves meat eaters by definition, but i am a vegetarian. by gaining a label it makes you something which people want (and feel they have the right) to question. sorry struggling to explain what i mean.

I utterly agree. I have never in my life critiqued anyone for eating meat. It is my lifestyle choice and I am very confident in the reasons why I do it, but I don't feel a need to preach. However, I so often get hassled for it by people! Comments like 'oooo, does this offend you?!' if they are eating meat, or by telling me how tasty something is, or by just generally telling me how stupid being veggie is. I am suppose to laugh and take that as a joke, however hostile it gets, yet if I told them they were stupid for eating meat all hell would let loose! Drives me mad.

I think the OP is making a great choice, and she will raise her child healthy and well fed. My girl (hopefully) will get here healthy and grow and we will raise her veggie. I will not bring meat into my home to feed her something I don't agree with and when she is older she will make her own choice, without prejudice - but I will know I gave her the best diet possible whilst I had control over it. I would guarantee that my girl will have a healthier diet as a veggie than the majority of kids have, meat eaters or otherwise!

I wholeheartedly agree.I have been a veggie for a long time,but in that time i have learned just how much some non-veggies like to attack and jump on us. In my experience,once meatties learn im veggie they want to question why im doing it,and try to wind me up by waving their meat under my nose.

Its almost as though my very presence makes them feel guilty about their own diet!

I do think that sometimes the reason people get so 'anti' about vegetarians and vegans is their holier than thou 'my diet is better than yours' or 'my ethics are more stringent' than yours attitudes. If someone wants to be a vegetarian or vegan, that is fine. Their decision, doesn't effect anyone else. Same if someone wants to eat meat. No need for either group to preach to the other about their choices.

i have to say that in my experience, generally speaking it is meat eaters that want to talk about diets and morals, not vegans/vegetarians. i never bring up the fact that i'm a vegetarian to people in conversation, unless they are offering me meat, but throughout my life i've been jumped on when people realise i'm a vegetarian. in an ideal world, i wouldn't want any single person to eat meat but i know i can't influence that so i don't bother trying to stop someone as they're eating a piece of meat. i don't challenge people and tell them how wrong i believe it is when they're eating it, but i've had to accept the fact that people think it's ok to tell me that it's wrong that i choose not to eat meat. if i were to tell them that i thought it was wrong to eat meat i'd be holier than thou - but it's fine for people to tell me it's ridiculous that i'm vegetarian, no one thinks they're a preaching meat eater.

i think the problem is a simple misunderstanding. most people don't consider themselves meat eaters by definition, but i am a vegetarian. by gaining a label it makes you something which people want (and feel they have the right) to question. sorry struggling to explain what i mean.

I utterly agree. I have never in my life critiqued anyone for eating meat. It is my lifestyle choice and I am very confident in the reasons why I do it, but I don't feel a need to preach. However, I so often get hassled for it by people! Comments like 'oooo, does this offend you?!' if they are eating meat, or by telling me how tasty something is, or by just generally telling me how stupid being veggie is. I am suppose to laugh and take that as a joke, however hostile it gets, yet if I told them they were stupid for eating meat all hell would let loose! Drives me mad.

I think the OP is making a great choice, and she will raise her child healthy and well fed. My girl (hopefully) will get here healthy and grow and we will raise her veggie. I will not bring meat into my home to feed her something I don't agree with and when she is older she will make her own choice, without prejudice - but I will know I gave her the best diet possible whilst I had control over it. I would guarantee that my girl will have a healthier diet as a veggie than the majority of kids have, meat eaters or otherwise!

The one that always got me was people (my OH included) saying that they would feed my kids meat. As it happens both my kids are meat eaters (but Kaya doesn't like most meat) but the fact that people seemed to think that feeding meat to my kids was ok just astounded me.

I've just sat and read this whole thread and to tell you the truth I'm disgusted at some of the attitudes people have!!

I am a meat eater.. It's as simple as that. I'm not overly keen on vegetables.. But my daughter WILL be eating them when the time comes.. I will be weaning her with baby rice but when we've passed that stage the first port of call will be pureed vegetables. Just because I don't eat them doesn't mean my daughter wont. I choose not to eat them that's MY choice. I cannot comprehend how someone can accuse someone of child abuse for not giving them meat.. Perhaps it could be said it's child abuse to GIVE them meat??

Like I have already said I am a meat eater that wont change (god I do love a bacon sandwich of an evening) but I would NEVER look down on someone who didn't eat meat. And I certainly wouldn't question their parenting abilities. I don't know ER very well but I have stalked her from time to time :blush: and can tell from her post's that she is a very intelligent woman and would not make a decision concerning her daughter light heartedly.

If you want to raise you're daughter on a vegan diet then go for it. Aslong as she is getting the nutrients & vitamins she needs and you can supplement foods (which it seems like you more than can) then what's the problem? And if when she's older she is curious then you allow her to try then fine.. But like they say you can't miss something you've never had. Although the way kids are it's almost a cert that she would question why she doesn't eat meat.. But like you've said you have the evidence and the research and the facts.. I personally can't see the problem.

Also I would like to apologise for some of the responses you've received.. Some peoples rudeness is beyond belief :hugs:

You been stalking me eh? Dont make me get all ghetto on youuuuuuuu! :rofl:

Seriously, thank you for your message it was very kind :) I am going to have to get used to recieving negative responses. I am actually surprised about the amount of positivity I have recieved on this thread. :flower:

I've just sat and read this whole thread and to tell you the truth I'm disgusted at some of the attitudes people have!!

I am a meat eater.. It's as simple as that. I'm not overly keen on vegetables.. But my daughter WILL be eating them when the time comes.. I will be weaning her with baby rice but when we've passed that stage the first port of call will be pureed vegetables. Just because I don't eat them doesn't mean my daughter wont. I choose not to eat them that's MY choice. I cannot comprehend how someone can accuse someone of child abuse for not giving them meat.. Perhaps it could be said it's child abuse to GIVE them meat??

Like I have already said I am a meat eater that wont change (god I do love a bacon sandwich of an evening) but I would NEVER look down on someone who didn't eat meat. And I certainly wouldn't question their parenting abilities. I don't know ER very well but I have stalked her from time to time :blush: and can tell from her post's that she is a very intelligent woman and would not make a decision concerning her daughter light heartedly.

If you want to raise you're daughter on a vegan diet then go for it. Aslong as she is getting the nutrients & vitamins she needs and you can supplement foods (which it seems like you more than can) then what's the problem? And if when she's older she is curious then you allow her to try then fine.. But like they say you can't miss something you've never had. Although the way kids are it's almost a cert that she would question why she doesn't eat meat.. But like you've said you have the evidence and the research and the facts.. I personally can't see the problem.

Also I would like to apologise for some of the responses you've received.. Some peoples rudeness is beyond belief :hugs:

Seriously, thank you for your message it was very kind :) I am going to have to get used to recieving negative responses. I am actually surprised about the amount of positivity I have recieved on this thread. :flower:

Your post has really made me think.For years iv put up with numerous negative comments,people laughing at my Quorn products, telling me my food is disgusting,telling me that animals will die anyway so i might as well just eat them,asking if my shoes are made of leather etc etc.

Iv gone out of my way to keep quiet about my views,not wanting to upset meatties,not confronting them with some of the images and videos iv seen- which i could easily show them when they question my morals and beliefs.

BUT NOT ANYMORE! Im gona give as good as i get from now on!

So the next person who says "bet you miss a bacon sarnie" had better watch out!

:ninja::ninja::ninja: :rofl:

No need to thank me hun it's true. I don't understand why people feel the need to judge other peoples choices. I don't believe there is a right/wrong where meat is concerned.. People have been stealing for thousands of years but that doesn't make right so I see exactly where you're coming from.. And no you don't have to get used to negative comments.. You just have to ignore them!!!

Your post has really made me think.For years iv put up with numerous negative comments,people laughing at my Quorn products, telling me my food is disgusting,telling me that animals will die anyway so i might as well just eat them,asking if my shoes are made of leather etc etc.

Iv gone out of my way to keep quiet about my views,not wanting to upset meatties,not confronting them with some of the images and videos iv seen- which i could easily show them when they question my morals and beliefs.

You go girl!!!

And next time someone asks you if you miss meat just ask them if they fancy a meat sandwich..AND PUNCH THEM IN THE MOUTH!!!.

Well no don't... Cuz that's just not kind :nope: ... :rofl:

I only think you have to look at this thread to see it works both ways...

Whats that supposed to mean? People have asked for info and I have given it to them? People have put across a view, and I have given them my view. As for preaching, I really dont have time for it. There have been a few things I have mentioned in this thread, that no one has picked up on even though its fact. So far everyone who I have spoke to about my veganism choice have laughed at me. Its also rare for an afro-carribean to be vegan, my mum even thought it was hilarious. (Not that her opinion counts for anything!). To be honest, I really want this thread to be locked now. I wanted some opinions, but I dont want to start getting attacked now.

I am not 'a holier than thou' person. I have only been vegan for 2 months, and have ate meat for 24 years. I dont know everything, and I am certainly not perfect. I really wish what you were saying is true, because as soon as someone knows I am vegan, all of a sudden they think its gives them rights to take the piss! And Yes, Drazic I have had someone wave their steak in my face too.

I apologise if I have offended you, but I don't think I said anywhere that you specifically were being 'holier than thou'? I had said earlier on in the thread that it is up to each individual parent how on which diet they raise their child. I think maybe my comment was misleading as having read it back it does give the impression that I think all vegetarians/vegans are like that, and obviously I don't.

The fact is, just like some meat eaters behave like morons and berate those who don't eat meat, there are some vegetarians that do the opposite. Non meat eaters don't have exclusivity on not being morons, you know, they are exactly the same as the rest of the human race, they just don't eat meat/animal products. It is also fact that the majority of people in this country do eat meat and therefore it stands to reason that you are more likely to come across a meat eater with ridiculous attitudes than a non meat eater.

The one that always got me was people (my OH included) saying that they would feed my kids meat. As it happens both my kids are meat eaters (but Kaya doesn't like most meat) but the fact that people seemed to think that feeding meat to my kids was ok just astounded me.

I can see why you would get annoyed at other people saying they are going to feed your child something you didn't want them to eat, of course, they have no right to. However, surely your OH is 50% of your childrens' parents and therefore the decision over what they eat is his too? Obviously if you both have different views, then a compromise has to be found, or one's preference will have to be taken over the other?

I understand entirely what you mean, I said to my fiance I am really not looking forward to spending the rest of my life explaining my choice. Like you I have seen the videos and images, but if you mention it to people your classed as scaremongering. I dont understand how that can be, if its the truth.

I apologise if I have offended you, but I don't think I said anywhere that you specifically were being 'holier than thou'? I had said earlier on in the thread that it is up to each individual parent how on which diet they raise their child. I think maybe my comment was misleading as having read it back it does give the impression that I think all vegetarians/vegans are like that, and obviously I don't.

The fact is, just like some meat eaters behave like morons and berate those who don't eat meat, there are some vegetarians that do the opposite. Non meat eaters don't have exclusivity on not being morons, you know, they are exactly the same as the rest of the human race, they just don't eat meat/animal products. It is also fact that the majority of people in this country do eat meat and therefore it stands to reason that you are more likely to come across a meat eater with ridiculous attitudes than a non meat eater.

Yes, I agree. I understand what you mean, maybe I was being a bit oversensitive as well. But your right, you can get some vegans that are absolute assholes as well.

Yes, I agree. I understand what you mean, maybe I was being a bit oversensitive as well. But your right, you can get some vegans that are absolute assholes as well.

I can understand why you feel how you do especially if friends and family have laughed at and berated your choice.

If it makes you feel any better, people are the same whenever someone they have known a long time makes a big change in their life, or does something 'different' be it diet, religion, what school they send their children to, where they live, or even hair colour. People in general, don't accept change very well.

You go girl!!!

And next time someone asks you if you miss meat just ask them if they fancy a meat sandwich..AND PUNCH THEM IN THE MOUTH!!!.

Well no don't... Cuz that's just not kind :nope: ... :rofl:

Ha ha,u made me laugh :)

I understand entirely what you mean, I said to my fiance I am really not looking forward to spending the rest of my life explaining my choice. Like you I have seen the videos and images, but if you mention it to people your classed as scaremongering. I dont understand how that can be, if its the truth.

I think ignorance is bliss to MOST (NOT ALL) meatties.What they don't know can't hurt them-i believe that if more people opened their eyes up to the immense suffering which is involved in the meat and farming industry,there'd be less meat eaters. While i don't want to upset my son,i will ensure he is aware of the industry so he can make an informed decision about his food choices.

Anyway,i feel i am now hijacking ur thread and getting on my soapbox so i'll zip it ! Thanks for a good thread :)

Wow, this thread had certainley gone around the houses :shock:

Mon, i have absolutley no doubt in my mind that you wouldnt walk into this without having done your research properly on whats best for both you, and potentially Abigail too

:hugs:

I think ignorance is bliss to MOST (NOT ALL) meatties.What they don't know can't hurt them-i believe that if more people opened their eyes up to the immense suffering which is involved in the meat and farming industry,there'd be less meat eaters. While i don't want to upset my son,i will ensure he is aware of the industry so he can make an informed decision about his food choices.

Anyway,i feel i am now hijacking ur thread and getting on my soapbox so i'll zip it ! Thanks for a good thread :)

No stay on your soapbox hun, I just wish I knew more people like you in real life :)

Holly, yes this thread has gone round a few blocks :lol:

I can see why you would get annoyed at other people saying they are going to feed your child something you didn't want them to eat, of course, they have no right to. However, surely your OH is 50% of your childrens' parents and therefore the decision over what they eat is his too? Obviously if you both have different views, then a compromise has to be found, or one's preference will have to be taken over the other?

Yes, but I'm the one that does all the cooking, so we're mostly veggie anyway lol. I actually didn't have a massive problem with him wanting them to have meat, it was more about the way he'd say it, as if it was his duty to ensure his kids eat meat. He still says I'm fussy as I don't eat meat, but he's the one that doesn't like chillies, kidney beans, lentils (unless I sneak them in lol), etc.

Oh we have had that too! "As soon is your back is turned we will be giving her a burger. lolololol." Yeah, great. Give a child who has never eaten meat a burger, and you will make her very sick because her tummy won't be used to it. Won't that be lovely and funny. :rolleyes:

And thanks KayleighJayne for your lovely post. If everyone was as logical and nice as you, veggie or meatie, the world would be a better place!

Oh we have had that too! "As soon is your back is turned we will be giving her a burger. lolololol." Yeah, great. Give a child who has never eaten meat a burger, and you will make her very sick because her tummy won't be used to it. Won't that be lovely and funny. :rolleyes:

And thanks KayleighJayne for your lovely post. If everyone was as logical and nice as you, veggie or meatie, the world would be a better place!

:shock: That's bang out of order. :nope:

It bugs me when people don't respect parents wishes. I got into a huge argument with my Mom because I didn't want to feed Claire any french fries. :shrug: I figure she's got the rest of her life to have saturated fats, not having them when she's too young to realize that she isn't having them isn't going to kill her!

My mother went on and on about how I have too much "control" over what my daughter eats ( :confused: ) and how I'm not letting her have any "fun".

:dohh:

Honestly I cannot believe some of the posts on this thread. Perhaps I am just really naive but I cannot believe that there is so much negativity surrounding bringing up a child in a veggie/ vegan household.

We do all make decisions for our children. That is our job as parents afterall. And those decisions will be based on our own value system and beliefs. If you believe that TV is a negative influence then you will bring your child up with minimal/ no contact with TV. If you believe that education is valuable you will surround your child with postive messages about school. If you don't eat meat or use animal products then you will naturally extend that to your child. I would imagine that if you don't eat meat/ dairy due to your own health issues then you may well include it in your child's diet. But if you don't eat due to moral/ ethical concerns then you won't offer it to them.

It is not forcing your point of view on someone but bringing up your child within your own prinicples. When your child rebels (let's be honest, they all rebel against something as they grow older!!!) then they may then want to eat meat. But they also may not. It seems to me that the OP has put considerable research into this and it also sounds to me that she will be cooking a varied, nutritional diet for her LO and herself. Her LO will have a far better diet nutritionally not eating meat than she would if she was fed a diet of frozen and convenience foods.

The cancer issue interests me. My Mum died of bowel cancer at a relatively young age and my maternal grand father also had (but survived) bowel cancer at a young age. I have been told that I am at higher risk of developing it now and I do have long standing stomach problems. With this in mind I do watch how much red meat I eat as there have been a number of studies linking red meat to colorectal cancers. Yip, I may not eat any red meat at all and develop it still, or I may eat loads and not develop it. But I chose to monitor my levels as I do believe that there is a link there, even if it is a link only among those of us with a higher predisposition to developing it in the first place.

OP, go ahead and bring your daughter up any blooming way you see fit. It sounds to me as if you are doing a darn good job of it as it is.
Lesley
x

I really don't understand why people are so against it....tbh I feel it is my parental responsibility to give Jacob food that is best for him and that will give him the best start in life...this for me is a vegetarian diet. Just like I wouldn't give him sweets or junk food often, I won't be giving him meat...the things i've read about meat (lots of extensive research) has lead me to believe this (it's fine if others want to believe different - it's a free world) and I feel I would be failing him if I gave him something which I believe to be immoral and not nescersarily healthy.

Everyone here is doing the best for THEIR CHILD, whatever that diet may be - meat or no meat, and as long as a childs nutritional needs are being met, how does it matter what source it comes from?

Haha i'll have to stop reading this, meat/non meat debates get me angry!!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->