• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What are your opinions on bringing a child up vegan?

[What a silly comment!

I agree with aob. I wouldnt want to force River into anything. We put the food infront of her and she decides what she eats, i she doesnt touch the meat so be it same with the veg.

I think were designed to eat meat for a reason because we need it and although yes it is possible to have the nutrients now without it i think it would be a ongoing battle with a child.

What happens when your child is 5 and goes to a party and another child offers them a ham sandwhich?? surely a 5 year old wont know all this research about meat dairy. I think it can alienate them.

Its the same with sweets imo River wont be having sweets etc until she is 2 but if after that i said to her your not allowed sweets then she would want them all the more. Same with meat.

The OP has already said once her child is old enough to ask for it if they asked for meat or wanted to eat it she wouldn't refuse it.

The fact is, the majority of people in this country eat meat, so we see that as 'normal' and wean our children onto diets that include meat. They are not old enough to decide for themselves and as they have no choice, yes, we are 'forcing' it onto them, 'forcing' our beliefs (that we should eat meat) onto our children. So, if people are vegetarian or vegan it's pretty natural for them to offer their baby/child a vegetarian/vegan diet, just like we would offer our children a diet that included meat.

If a child is alientated because of it's diet, then the parents of the children doing the alientating need to look at how their children are behaving. Children have restricted diets for all sorts of reasons, not just parental choices. Children don't get alienated for allergies to food or not liking certain foods, so why should vegetarianism or veganism be any different? Unless, of course, we are a truly narrow minded society...

If you do baby led weaning you give you child allsorts of food for them to decide themselfs if they want to eat it or not therefore not forcing your child to eat meat.. Its just an option on the plate such as cucumber and tomatoes and cheese if yoru child decides to pick up the cucumber and chicken thats up to them just as if they decide the tomatoes and cheese thats upto them therefore no forcing your child to eat something they do not wish to :thumbup: so therefore i do not agree that most people force meat onto there children

[of course eating meat is normal...thats why it has been part of our diet for thousands of years :dohh:

Yes because an allergy is something they cant eat because it could possible kill them and its the childs choice when they dont like certain foods.

It actually isn't normal to eat meat in all cultures. There are cultures and countries that have existed for thousands of years without meat.

I really don't see the difference between weaning our children onto a meat inclusive or meat free diet if that is also what the parent eats, we have to choose one and either can be nutritionally adequate or not depending on how good the overall diet is.

I can honestly say if my children went to a party and found out a child was a vegetarian they would be nothing more than interested in what that meant and the reasons for it. Once a child is old enough to decide not to eat meat, surely that is also their choice?

[If you do baby led weaning you give you child allsorts of food for them to decide themselfs if they want to eat it or not therefore not forcing your child to eat meat.. Its just an option on the plate such as cucumber and tomatoes and cheese if yoru child decides to pick up the cucumber and chicken thats up to them just as if they decide the tomatoes and cheese thats upto them therefore no forcing your child to eat something they do not wish to :thumbup: so therefore i do not agree that most people force meat onto there children

And of course, if the child (who is not yet old enough to decide or know what is a balanced diet) chooses to never eat one particular food group, then they won't have a balanced diet.

How are vegetarians or vegans forcing their child to eat something they don't wish to? Surely they can do baby led weaning too and simply offer alternative to meat? They still aren't forcing anything any more than a meat eater is forcing their beliefs onto their child?

Sounds like the OP has done a lot of research. I think her childs diet will probably be more nutritious than many so called omnivores. Some people feed there children very low nutrient diets.

I don't believe in forcing anything upon my son that he doesn't have a say in.
I don't really understand this. Do you not feed him then? Do you breast or formula feed him and did he have a say in that? When you wean him are you going to wean him on the foods you eat, or wait until he can talk and then have an ethical discussion with him about what he wants to eat?

As a parent, part of our job is to make decisions for our children until they are able to make them for themselves. Veganism isn't the 'norm' but vegan parents weaning their child onto a vegan diet is no different to omnivorous parents weaning their child onto an omnivorous diet.

I don't force him to be vegetarian, be religious, be circumcised, have his ears pierced .. that kind thing. However, he needs to be fed, have his nappy changed etc. We have to make essential decisions for our children but i what i would never do is force my opinions and beliefs onto him. E.G if i was a Christian, i wouldn't christan him or take him to church etc, or if my OH was circumcised i wouldn't get Leni circumcised .. that kinda thing.

But will you force him to be a meat eater then?

What a silly comment!

I agree with aob. I wouldnt want to force River into anything. We put the food infront of her and she decides what she eats, i she doesnt touch the meat so be it same with the veg.

I think were designed to eat meat for a reason because we need it and although yes it is possible to have the nutrients now without it i think it would be a ongoing battle with a child.

What happens when your child is 5 and goes to a party and another child offers them a ham sandwhich?? surely a 5 year old wont know all this research about meat dairy. I think it can alienate them.

Its the same with sweets imo River wont be having sweets etc until she is 2 but if after that i said to her your not allowed sweets then she would want them all the more. Same with meat.

why is that a silly comment? it's completely the same - you're forcing your dietry choice on your child either way.

and why do say that we need meat? what do we need it for?

[If you do baby led weaning you give you child allsorts of food for them to decide themselfs if they want to eat it or not therefore not forcing your child to eat meat.. Its just an option on the plate such as cucumber and tomatoes and cheese if yoru child decides to pick up the cucumber and chicken thats up to them just as if they decide the tomatoes and cheese thats upto them therefore no forcing your child to eat something they do not wish to :thumbup: so therefore i do not agree that most people force meat onto there children

And of course, if the child (who is not yet old enough to decide or know what is a balanced diet) chooses to never eat one particular food group, then they won't have a balanced diet.

How are vegetarians or vegans forcing their child to eat something they don't wish to? Surely they can do baby led weaning too and simply offer alternative to meat? They still aren't forcing anything any more than a meat eater is forcing their beliefs onto their child?

because your not offering your child all of what they could have, you are in ways restricting what they can and cannot eat and there for forcing your child to give up something because of what you do.. Ok there are things we HAVE to do for our children they they get no say in but its things they 100% need in the fact they need milk be it breastmilk or formula for the first 6months they need a bum change but when it comes to food i would rather let my son try everything he can than telling him no you cannot eat that because mummy/daddy does not when there is nothing wrong with eating meat. Therefore forcing your child to be a veggie rather than letting him/her make up there own mind on weather they like meat or not :shrug:

Also kyle has the option on if he wants to eat it or not at every meal he has veggies/fruit and meat although not every meal has meat so he can decide if he just wants to eat a salad or if he would rather eat a bit of meat or if he wants to eat both

because your not offering your child all of what they could have, you are in ways restricting what they can and cannot eat and there for forcing your child to give up something because of what you do.. Ok there are things we HAVE to do for our children they they get no say in but its things they 100% need in the fact they need milk be it breastmilk or formula for the first 6months they need a bum change but when it comes to food i would rather let my son try everything he can than telling him no you cannot eat that because mummy/daddy does not when there is nothing wrong with eating meat. Therefore forcing your child to be a veggie rather than letting him/her make up there own mind on weather they like meat or not :shrug:

Do you offer your child soy or coconut milk then, or tofu, or quorn? Because otherwise, surely you're not offering them all they could have?

Parents who choose to bring their child up vegetarian or vegan and once they are old enough to decide for themselves, allow the child to make that choice are not doing their child any harm whatsoever. In fact, they are probably doing less harm than large amount of parents who choose to feed their children junk food all day long. So where is the problem?

Until children can make their own choices, that is our job as parents.

Do you offer your child soy or coconut milk then, or tofu, or quorn? Because otherwise, surely you're not offering them all they could have?

Parents who choose to bring their child up vegetarian or vegan and once they are old enough to decide for themselves, allow the child to make that choice are not doing their child any harm whatsoever. In fact, they are probably doing less harm than large amount of parents who choose to feed their children junk food all day long. So where is the problem?

i try to offer everything and we have family members who are vegan/vegaterians so when we are round there for dinner that is what is served vegan/vegaterian food so yes my Lo has eaten it..
also a child can make choices just like if a child does not like lettace of course they will not eat it that is there choice. just like they will decide if they liek a tv show not because we force it on them

[of course eating meat is normal...thats why it has been part of our diet for thousands of years :dohh:

Yes because an allergy is something they cant eat because it could possible kill them and its the childs choice when they dont like certain foods.

It actually isn't normal to eat meat in all cultures. There are cultures and countries that have existed for thousands of years without meat.

I really don't see the difference between weaning our children onto a meat inclusive or meat free diet if that is also what the parent eats, we have to choose one and either can be nutritionally adequate or not depending on how good the overall diet is.

I can honestly say if my children went to a party and found out a child was a vegetarian they would be nothing more than interested in what that meant and the reasons for it. Once a child is old enough to decide not to eat meat, surely that is also their choice?

How old is old enough? If they are 3 and say can i try that would that be ok or would that not be old enough for them to understand?

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Me and OH don't like fish, we never have any in the house, so for that reason our children don't really eat it either. In fact I never thought about it before, it was this thread that made me realise! I think its quite normal for children to grow up eating and liking a similar diet to their parents, for instance my mum and OH's mum never liked fish, which is probably why we don't. If any of my kids saw someone eating fish and said 'mummy I want some of that' I would let them have some, so I would never tell them they couldn't have it, its just that its not really on the menu at our house.

I think so long as your child is getting all the nutrients they need it doesn't matter.

I don't believe we need to eat meat-as far as i'm aware i'm still alive, so i don't thnk it is abuse as one person called it!

With regards to the whole *force* accusation-we make choices on a daily basis-we do what we feel is best fo them-though i can see why meat eaters may struggle with this.

you said after your detox you had a vegan cheesecake with cream? how does that work?

https://therawchef.com/therawchefblog/pomegranate-cheesecake-with-clementine-gelato

I made this exact dessert with Russell's recipe ( I love that man!) I just substituted the Pomegranate for Strawberries, and I put the strawberries on top. I didnt use soya milk, but almond milk for my ice cream. I also made the base thicker than Russells, it was bloody delicious. I ate this three days in a row and I still lost weight! :)

I figured it was the Raw Food diet! Two of my OH's close friends switched to it and have adored it. She's very sickly, has to wear an insulin pump, take heart pills, etc and since switching to raw her BSL's have finally started to even out a bit!

:thumbup: She posts pictures all the time on FB and I swear I drool over them. Just takes planning and a food deydrator and you are good to go! She did a chocolate "Cheez" cake, using carob for the chocolate and soaked almonds, agave nectar and other stuff for the "cheese". Pretty ingenious!

I really don't understand how choosing to raise your child as a vegan/veggie is forcing anything onto them? and Im saying this as a meat eater!
Aslong as they're entitled to make their own minds up when older whether they'd like to carry on or eat meat then it isn't forced at all :).

Yes that's fine to raise your baby as a vegan, but you must suplement the diet with lots of iron etc which it will miss out on. And remember, MOST vegans/vegetarians are deficient in nutrients such as iron, because you need to consume a hell of a lot more foods rich in iron to replace what would be in meat. And even when taking iron tablets it isn't absorbed properly, so it doesn't solve the problem. IMO it is very tricky to be a healthy vegan.
A child needs adequate nutrition, and to deny it that I beleive is child abuse.

I am on my iPhone so I can't really reply much but your last statement is shocking. I can tell you no nothing about a veggie or vegan diet. To insinuate that I will be a child abuser if I give my daughter a vegan diet is the most offensive thing anyone has said to me in my life. Not read other replies yet as only on page 11. Will reply in more detail when I get home.

[

i try to offer everything and we have family members who are vegan/vegaterians so when we are round there for dinner that is what is served vegan/vegaterian food so yes my Lo has eaten it..
also a child can make choices just like if a child does not like lettace of course they will not eat it that is there choice. just like they will decide if they liek a tv show not because we force it on them[/QUOTE]

It's great that you offer 'vegetarian' foods to your child. Would you still do so if you had no vegetarian family members though? Would you go out of your way to buy tofu etc to prepare so your child had the opportunity to try it?

(I have to say, I wouldn't, I personally find Tofu disgusting!)

How old is old enough? If they are 3 and say can i try that would that be ok or would that not be old enough for them to understand?

I think how old is old enough is a tricky question really, because children mature at different rates. Plus, my children eat meat, so it's not something I have ever needed to think about.

I do think however, sometimes parents give their children too much choice, choices that they are not old enough to make or understand. Whilst it's not suitable to physically force them into it, as parents, we generally do know what is best, and if my child, aged 3 suddenly said they didn't like fruit or vegetables and weren't going to eat them again, I wouldn't leave that to their choice. I wouldn't physically hold then down or make them stay at the table until their plate was cleared either, but I would 'force' them to eat fruit and veg. I like to think I am clever enough to outwit a 3 year old without resorting to bullying though.

If my child, aged 3 wanted to be a vegetarian, I would probably ask them why they wanted to be one and do my best to accomodate it whilst still providing a healthy diet.

I didn't see the child abuse statement that is absolutly shocking :nope: It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not. To say something like that is uncalled for and out of line
xx

Personally I wouldn't do it, I eat meat and so do my kids, its my view we are made to be omnivore.

I grew up in a veggie/vegan house though and in my own personal experience it was very hit and miss, more to do with no real effort being put in.

I think you have researched in depth and if you feel this is the path for you, then go for it:thumbup: I certainly think its possible with work to keep everyone healthy:flower:

I don't really understand this. Do you not feed him then? Do you breast or formula feed him and did he have a say in that? When you wean him are you going to wean him on the foods you eat, or wait until he can talk and then have an ethical discussion with him about what he wants to eat?

As a parent, part of our job is to make decisions for our children until they are able to make them for themselves. Veganism isn't the 'norm' but vegan parents weaning their child onto a vegan diet is no different to omnivorous parents weaning their child onto an omnivorous diet.

I don't force him to be vegetarian, be religious, be circumcised, have his ears pierced .. that kind thing. However, he needs to be fed, have his nappy changed etc. We have to make essential decisions for our children but i what i would never do is force my opinions and beliefs onto him. E.G if i was a Christian, i wouldn't christan him or take him to church etc, or if my OH was circumcised i wouldn't get Leni circumcised .. that kinda thing.

What a silly comment!

What a silly comment!

why is that a silly comment? it's completely the same - you're forcing your dietry choice on your child either way.

and why do say that we need meat? what do we need it for?

I think i will offer Leni all sorts and let him decide what he wants to eat, as we will be doing BLW. That way i can't force him either way.

Ok how sad am I, I raced back home from the shop just to reply to this thread. :dohh: Anyway, I dont really understand this idea that "just because we have been eating meat for years and years, it must be the right thing to do" Think again with that one. How many things have we done, to later find out we really need to do it a different way, and FAST! It makes me sad to think so many people wont enjoy the benefits of a raw foodist or vegan lifestyle because they are too stuck in their ways and not prepared to look into it. I would like to know out of all of the people who have been so against, have REALLY looked into a vegan diet and what it actually means for an individual. The benefits are huge, and its common knowledge that veggies live so much longer than meat eating counterparts.

So I just dug out my 'China Study' and I felt that I needed to copy this table.

It starts off by saying this " Eating animals is a markedly different nutritional experience frome eating plants. The amounts and kinds of nutrients in these two types of foods, shown in the chart illustrate these striking nutritional differences"

Chart: Nutrient compostion of plant and anial-based foods (per 500 calories of energy)

*Equal parts of tomatoes, spinach, lima beans, peas, potatoes
**Equal parts of beef, pork, chicken, whole milk

Cholesterol in Plant Based Foods*(PBF) - NONE.
Cholestorol in Animal-Based Foods**(ABF)- 137
Fat (g) in PBF - 4
Fat in ABF - 36
Protein (g) in PBF - 33
Protein in ABF - 34
Beta-carotene (mcg) in PBF - 29,919
Beta-carotene in ABF -17
Dietary Fiber (g) PBF - 31
Dietary Fiber ABF - NONE
Vitamin C (mg) PBF - 293
Vitamin C ABF - 4
Folate (mcg) PBF - 1168
Folate ABF - 19
Vitamin E (mg_ATE) PBF-11
Vitamin E ABF- 0.5
Iron (mg) PBF - 20
Iron (mg) ABF - 2
Magnesium (mg) PBF - 548
Magnesium ABF - 51
Calcium (mg) PBF - 545
Calcium ABF - 252

It then says, " There are virtually no nutrients in animal-based foods that are not better provided by plants "

How many omnivores, are getting the very best out of their diet? I think its is a bloody good thing that I have to make Abigail a lot of nutritious healthy meals to ensure she gets all she needs, because I think on a meat eating diet, we dont feel the need to do that so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->