• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What are your opinions on bringing a child up vegan?

This book goes into a lot of detail about cancer, and the reason why we have a 1 in 3 statistic for developing the disease. It is all down to what we put in our mouths, unfortunately a lot of that is due to eating meat. Believe me I didnt want to hear it! The scientist in question was able to conduct studies on rats with cancer (no I dont agree with animal testing but the experiment was done for the greater good!). I will give you a basic breakdown...one control group was given animal protein, and the other control group was given plant based protein. The results showed that the rats that were given animal protein, their cancer was accelerating. But the rats that were given plant based protein, the cancerous cells were decreasing. Now, I know we are not rats, but those results really made me think.

Thought I would just say I really appreciate every single one reply on this thread. It has been very helpful for me to discuss this with you all.

I think someone mentioned about looking into soy, I have been reading into it and I am undecided about it at the moment. I may have to give almond, or rice milk.

Yum! Is it expensive? Can you use it in tea and stuff?

Its not the cheapest, if you compare it with how much normal milk costs. I bought mine from goodness direct, for about £2.50 I think and you can get it in powder form as well. All there stuff is organic & eco-friendly though. I think Ecomil do it as well. About the tea, I dont see why not? x

This book goes into a lot of detail about cancer, and the reason why we have a 1 in 3 statistic for developing the disease. It is all down to what we put in our mouths, unfortunately a lot of that is due to eating meat. Believe me I didnt want to hear it! The scientist in question was able to conduct studies on rats with cancer (no I dont agree with animal testing but the experiment was done for the greater good!). I will give you a basic breakdown...one control group was given animal protein, and the other control group was given plant based protein. The results showed that the rats that were given animal protein, their cancer was accelerating. But the rats that were given plant based protein, the cancerous cells were decreasing. Now, I know we are not rats, but those results really made me think.

This book seems to be suggesting that a vegan diet cures cancer, which is IMO (and I believe generally that of the UK medical profession) a load of crap.

We all know that having an appalling diet can be a contributing factor to some types of cancer, but not eating meat does not save you from it.

A family friend of mine, who has been a vegan for 40+ years, eating mainly homegrown organic vegetables, has recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Seeing as her cancer appeared whilst on a vegan diet, I fail to see how continuing it will help her illness.

It does not say it cures cancer it says it can stop it from accelerating which I do think is a step in the right direction. Also genes do have a part to play in cancer. BUT nutrition plays a major role in determining which genes, good and bad, are expressed. Maybe your friend has not been strict vegan the whole time. Either way it's not her fault and I am very sad to hear that news. My father had cancer so I can sympathise a great deal. I will say though why call something crap if you do not know the details. The experiments in this book were only taken over a 30 year life span and is the biggest nutrition study ever conducted in the world. Read the book then call it crap. Saying that I have yet to get to the chapter that explains why this knowledge is not public knowledge.

I'm not suggesting that the entire book is crap, but the implication that a vegan diet cures, or significantly improves cancer is, and dangerous at that. Also, the fact that this information is not public knowledge should be a big red flag - if it were true medical practicioners would be pushing it like mad.

The point I'm trying to make is that just because someone has written something in a book or on a website, it does not automatically make it true. And when you are basing an entire lifestyle on it, it seems prudent to consider whether or not they are correct, and whether you can find any sources you are certain are credible.

To give an example, I recently read in the UK press that a study had linked ovarian cancer to using talc. When I looked online for more information, the first site that appeared was a US site, which essentially gave the message: "If you use talc you will get cancer and die". I was horrified, but had never heard of the site, so I looked further and found reference on the NHS website, which I am happy to trust. It gave details of the study, how it had been completed, where they felt it was flawed, and summed up to say that the evidence was not conclusive, and there was currently no cause for concern.

Obviously it's entirely up to you how you choose to feed your family, but I do think a certain amount of scepticism is required when reading literature that is clearly intended to try and convert people.

This book seems to be suggesting that a vegan diet cures cancer, which is IMO (and I believe generally that of the UK medical profession) a load of crap.

We all know that having an appalling diet can be a contributing factor to some types of cancer, but not eating meat does not save you from it.

A family friend of mine, who has been a vegan for 40+ years, eating mainly homegrown organic vegetables, has recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Seeing as her cancer appeared whilst on a vegan diet, I fail to see how continuing it will help her illness.

I have to agree with this, what we eat is a small part of what causes cancer. Lots of other factors can have an influence and also different cancers, many different causes and things so the food relevance to cancer, in my opinion is not that high.

Well I refuse to repeat myself over and over again. It would be preety niave of me to change my whole dietary lifestyle due to one book wouldnt it? But the evidence is out there, in abundance!! As for why this information is not in the public, WELL there are a lot of industries out there that stand to lose a vast amount of money if we all decided to shift onto a plant based diet. Their financial health depends on controlling what the public knows about nutrition and health. Like any good business enterprise, these industries do everything in their prower to protect their profits and their shareholders. The entire system, be it government, science, medicine, industry and media - promotes profits over health, technology over food and confusion over clarity.

I think I have said all I have needed to say in this thread now, but thank you all very much for your input. I am very happy with the decision I have made for myself and my daughter.

Yeah I think there might need to be more proof.
I just had my cholesterol checked, its 1, I eat a lot of meat, I think cancer wise its more down to the type of meat and how its cooked, I believe burned meat is meant to be linked to bowel cancer. Also genetics!

Also it is not fair to suggest that those who do provide a meat based diet are not putting as much effort in:nope:

Some of these comments on this thread are bang out of order. Child abuse? Are you freaking KIDDING me right now??? She did not ask for her parenting to be debated. That is NOT your place to comment on that. She asked for an opinion on a vegan diet for a child. She is obviously really educated in the matter. Its not like she's going to sit and feed the kid Tofu forever. She's an intelligent woman and OF COURSE she knows she has to provide a balanced vitamin packed diet. That's perfectly achievable with vegetables and other food sources. She's doing the best for her child that suits her family life and situation. Just because you do not believe in it, it does not make it child abuse. Silly accusations like that get right on my wick.

Well done you for sticking to your guns and following what you believe chica.

It seems a lot are talking about vegetarianism rather than vegan-ism?

Any Red meat actually makes me really sick and my IBS flair up. Same with any milk product. Since I've cut both out my diet, I've lost 17 lbs and am fitter than ever. But our bodies are made for it, right? I guess that's why it also gives my daughter acid like diarrhoea and yeast rashes all the time.

Somewhere on the thread someone stated that you have to take extra supplements or you get deficient from not eating meat? 31% of Indians are vegetarian and have no problem with this kind of diet. You can get very defiant from any kind of diet you do, weather it includes meat/dairy or not. You can have an in-balanced diet from any of these.

I have to agree with this, what we eat is a small part of what causes cancer. Lots of other factors can have an influence and also different cancers, many different causes and things so the food relevance to cancer, in my opinion is not that high.

I have to say, I agree with this too. Plus, living our life is abouit enjoyment. I enjoy food, I enjoy eating meat. I hate soya, rice and almond 'milk', I hate tofu. There is no way on this earth I want to eat a 'cheesecake' that isn't a cheesecake. What is the point in living life if you're not going to enjoy it?! (some people may enjoy eating that, I don't) There are so many things we could do in order to try and prevent cancer or any other illness. It might work, it might not. Personally, I'll continue eating meat and take those tiny risks.

I do think that sometimes the reason people get so 'anti' about vegetarians and vegans is their holier than thou 'my diet is better than yours' or 'my ethics are more stringent' than yours attitudes. If someone wants to be a vegetarian or vegan, that is fine. Their decision, doesn't effect anyone else. Same if someone wants to eat meat. No need for either group to preach to the other about their choices.

I do think that sometimes the reason people get so 'anti' about vegetarians and vegans is their holier than thou 'my diet is better than yours' or 'my ethics are more stringent' than yours attitudes. If someone wants to be a vegetarian or vegan, that is fine. Their decision, doesn't effect anyone else. Same if someone wants to eat meat. No need for either group to preach to the other about their choices.

i have to say that in my experience, generally speaking it is meat eaters that want to talk about diets and morals, not vegans/vegetarians. i never bring up the fact that i'm a vegetarian to people in conversation, unless they are offering me meat, but throughout my life i've been jumped on when people realise i'm a vegetarian. in an ideal world, i wouldn't want any single person to eat meat but i know i can't influence that so i don't bother trying to stop someone as they're eating a piece of meat. i don't challenge people and tell them how wrong i believe it is when they're eating it, but i've had to accept the fact that people think it's ok to tell me that it's wrong that i choose not to eat meat. if i were to tell them that i thought it was wrong to eat meat i'd be holier than thou - but it's fine for people to tell me it's ridiculous that i'm vegetarian, no one thinks they're a preaching meat eater.

i think the problem is a simple misunderstanding. most people don't consider themselves meat eaters by definition, but i am a vegetarian. by gaining a label it makes you something which people want (and feel they have the right) to question. sorry struggling to explain what i mean.

i have to say that in my experience, generally speaking it is meat eaters that want to talk about diets and morals, not vegans/vegetarians. i never bring up the fact that i'm a vegetarian to people in conversation, unless they are offering me meat, but throughout my life i've been jumped on when people realise i'm a vegetarian. in an ideal world, i wouldn't want any single person to eat meat but i know i can't influence that so i don't bother trying to stop someone as they're eating a piece of meat. i don't challenge people and tell them how wrong i believe it is when they're eating it, but i've had to accept the fact that people think it's ok to tell me that it's wrong that i choose not to eat meat. if i were to tell them that i thought it was wrong to eat meat i'd be holier than thou - but it's fine for people to tell me it's ridiculous that i'm vegetarian, no one thinks they're a preaching meat eater.

i think the problem is a simple misunderstanding. most people don't consider themselves meat eaters by definition, but i am a vegetarian. by gaining a label it makes you something which people want (and feel they have the right) to question. sorry struggling to explain what i mean.

I only think you have to look at this thread to see it works both ways...

I utterly agree. I have never in my life critiqued anyone for eating meat. It is my lifestyle choice and I am very confident in the reasons why I do it, but I don't feel a need to preach. However, I so often get hassled for it by people! Comments like 'oooo, does this offend you?!' if they are eating meat, or by telling me how tasty something is, or by just generally telling me how stupid being veggie is. I am suppose to laugh and take that as a joke, however hostile it gets, yet if I told them they were stupid for eating meat all hell would let loose! Drives me mad.

I think the OP is making a great choice, and she will raise her child healthy and well fed. My girl (hopefully) will get here healthy and grow and we will raise her veggie. I will not bring meat into my home to feed her something I don't agree with and when she is older she will make her own choice, without prejudice - but I will know I gave her the best diet possible whilst I had control over it. I would guarantee that my girl will have a healthier diet as a veggie than the majority of kids have, meat eaters or otherwise!

I only think you have to look at this thread to see it works both ways...

Whats that supposed to mean? People have asked for info and I have given it to them? People have put across a view, and I have given them my view. As for preaching, I really dont have time for it. There have been a few things I have mentioned in this thread, that no one has picked up on even though its fact. So far everyone who I have spoke to about my veganism choice have laughed at me. Its also rare for an afro-carribean to be vegan, my mum even thought it was hilarious. (Not that her opinion counts for anything!). To be honest, I really want this thread to be locked now. I wanted some opinions, but I dont want to start getting attacked now.

I am not 'a holier than thou' person. I have only been vegan for 2 months, and have ate meat for 24 years. I dont know everything, and I am certainly not perfect. I really wish what you were saying is true, because as soon as someone knows I am vegan, all of a sudden they think its gives them rights to take the piss! And Yes, Drazic I have had someone wave their steak in my face too.

I've just sat and read this whole thread and to tell you the truth I'm disgusted at some of the attitudes people have!!

I am a meat eater.. It's as simple as that. I'm not overly keen on vegetables.. But my daughter WILL be eating them when the time comes.. I will be weaning her with baby rice but when we've passed that stage the first port of call will be pureed vegetables. Just because I don't eat them doesn't mean my daughter wont. I choose not to eat them that's MY choice. I cannot comprehend how someone can accuse someone of child abuse for not giving them meat.. Perhaps it could be said it's child abuse to GIVE them meat??

Like I have already said I am a meat eater that wont change (god I do love a bacon sandwich of an evening) but I would NEVER look down on someone who didn't eat meat. And I certainly wouldn't question their parenting abilities. I don't know ER very well but I have stalked her from time to time :blush: and can tell from her post's that she is a very intelligent woman and would not make a decision concerning her daughter light heartedly.

If you want to raise you're daughter on a vegan diet then go for it. Aslong as she is getting the nutrients & vitamins she needs and you can supplement foods (which it seems like you more than can) then what's the problem? And if when she's older she is curious then you allow her to try then fine.. But like they say you can't miss something you've never had. Although the way kids are it's almost a cert that she would question why she doesn't eat meat.. But like you've said you have the evidence and the research and the facts.. I personally can't see the problem.

Also I would like to apologise for some of the responses you've received.. Some peoples rudeness is beyond belief :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->