What Christmassy thing have you done today?

Maybe they will forget and just leave it open for all us weirdos who want to talk Christmas all year long

We are making the most of the last day before real life starts back, heading out to a 'clip and climb' session- and leaving all of the Christmas lights on for one more full day:xmas9:

Our lights are on for the last time. Ds2 is back to football today though, and ds1 still gas homework I've been nagging him about so it won't really be making the most of it here haha

We need to know our secret santas before they close :-( x

Oh goodness motherofboys! You just reminded me we have homework too! WAHHH!

I really dislike homework haha ds1 has done the bit due Monday anyway

I stopped getting stressed about homework a while ago when it occurred to me that I already new how to do it - and I didn't need to face the teacher and explain why I'd not done it!! I pointed this out to Ds and then backed off, now I leave him to it. There's been more than once he's been sitting at 9 p.m the night before it's due in finishing his weeks assignments, but he's done it himself without me stressing (at parent night I let the teacher know that this was how I did it). Good luck.

Unfortunately I get shitty emails from teachers if he doesn't do it. They spend so much time telling you that your child needs to be responsible for their own things and time management then email you saying "you need to check it's being done and remind him to do it." Ds2 isn't as bad, but I've had ds1 come down stairs at 10 o'clock crying that he went to submit his homework that took an hour to do and the laptop deleted it and had to say "well it's tough, it's 10 o'clock, you're supposed to be in bed, you'll have to explain to the teacher how this happened" and he still hasn't learnt his lesson.

Our homework is the fun stuff mainly, even with DD1 who is year 2. Although I try not to get too stressed but I do want them to read more! DD1 is a great reader but hates it and DD2 is just learning how to read basic sentences.

They didn't get set any homework over the holidays but I made them do a page each today with things they done over Christmas and printed some photos.

Sorted out all their school bags this afternoon, both got new back backs so had to label them etc.

I'm so exhausted today I could easily go to bed and wake up tomorrow morning. The girls are driving me crazy (because they are bored and been stuck in the house two days). Anyone else find it difficult to keep them occupied?? Nothing pleases them and the weather is crap.

We are making the most of the last day before real life starts back, heading out to a 'clip and climb' session- and leaving all of the Christmas lights on for one more full day:xmas9:

My girls want to try clip and climb. Nearest is about a hour drive though. Maybe one weekend when DH is off.

Maybe your kids are older Rags?
I get reminded by the teachers too to keep an eye on them doing their work and reading with them etc. Added to that Sebastian has (mild) ADD and needs supervision and refocusing. So yeah no escape here. lol

We are having one last Christmas Day out to town tomorrow ! Girls go back Tuesday .

DD1s homework is fun still as she’s in year 2 . They get weekly spellings to learn with a test on Fridays boy do I hate it . DD stresses out so much . Doesn’t matter how much we tell her not to worry even the teacher has told her ! Most of the homework is on apps which I don’t agree with too much to a certain extent

DD2 is in nursery so no homework there thankfully

Babybump, mine still get the weekly spelling too with the test on Friday, they are in year 3. I am sorry your girl stresses so much :( However, I do wish Dominic would worry a tiny bit more about his work but since he usually gets top grades without trying he relies on that too much, which makes his work ethic pretty non existant :(. Makes me worry for later when things won't be as easy.
Sigh. Seems us parents always get to worry about *something*, don't we lol.

Last edited:
We used to have spellings but they stopped it as they would learn the spellings for a week or so then stop using the correct spellings in their work (because the test was done)...one less thing to worry about. I think they do spellings in class now.

Teachers say the homework is no pressure but they do expect one piece a week....I don't always manage that as we're busy after school most nights.

I agree about the apps. My youngest is year R and their reading is on an app. I spoke to the teacher and they are now sending books home too. I'm all for using technology and I'll let her do it that way too but I want her to actually learn to read using an actual book.

I'm dreading the juniors when homework gets harder, me and DD1 clash alot over homework so I often leave it to DH.

Angel, your Dominic sounds like DS1, he scores so high without any revision that he thinks it means he doesn't need to do it.
Ds3 is like Sebastian, he's home educated now, he has sensory issues and when he was at school the SENCO mentioned possible ADHD too though I'm not sure if it's just part of his sensory processing difficulties, anyway, he needs redirecting, I couldn't set him a page of work and then go wash up or something. He needs supervising.

You guys have made me realise that ds4 doesn't get spellings though. I assume it's because the school had an almost complete staff overhaul and they just do things differently now.

Maybe your kids are older Rags?
I get reminded by the teachers too to keep an eye on them doing their work and reading with them etc. Added to that Sebastian has (mild) ADD and needs supervision and refocusing. So yeah no escape here. lol
Ds is 9, in p5. They are given spelling, numeracy and encouraged to read each week. Ds doesn't get sent home with a school reading book as he's been taking in what he wants to read, the teacher prefers them to chose something they are interested in (if they have specific interests) Ds is reading 'lord of the rings' which is making the class lessons on summarising a little complicated, he's doing it section by section. My niece is 13, in 2nd year at high school (Scotland), she has maths and Spanish homework after every lesson and most of her other subjects give some at least once a week, I will occasionally get texts from the school when she's approaching assessments to let me know she has a revision schedule to work to.

My girls want to try clip and climb. Nearest is about a hour drive though. Maybe one weekend when DH is off.
We had a great time - the hour session flew by, I only got the chance to climb 4 or 5 of the walls, the 'stairway to heaven' and do the 'leap of faith' because I was watching and encouraging the children. Someone mentioned that the Edinburgh one is bigger but the size of the Glasgow one worked for me, I could be helping the children, climbing myself and encouraging the others all at the same time. My pal isn't able to take part but was able to come into the area and take photos and video of her daughter, she said she enjoyed it and didn't feel left out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->