what do you think?

Mize1982

Mya-My gift from God!
Reaction score
I'm trying to work out costs and am trying to decided wether it would be more cost effective to use Reusable nappys most of the time and disposables when convienant.

does anyone have any opinions on this?

I know you have the added house work of cleaning them and sometimes they have a tendancy to be a hindarence but i would always have a few disposables handy.

but thinking buy the time you buy liners and all the bits u need is it really cheaper?

what do you think?

:)

Yes, it is cheaper. I worked it out factoring in the purchase of liners, booster pads, new covers, washing liquid, electric and it works out significantly cheaper than disposables.
You could do this for yourself. Find out how many kWh you machine uses on a decent wash ( I picked my 60 degree "super" wash!) and caluclate how much that will cost you in electricity (using the higher tarif to be sure) obviously the washing liquid is easy, eg one tub costs £4 and lasts 20 washes (add conditioner if you use it, normally cheaper). then add in liners, these are usually around £2.99 for 100. 100 will last 10 or more days as a newborn and much longer as they get older (when you are using 3/4 nappies a day) I factored nappies for three years just to be overly generous. Boosters dont really need replacing but I factored in the cost of replacing every booster twice ( I dont know anyone who has done this!) Oh and I factored in that I will be on a water meter (unless I move beforehand!) though I managed to realise it would cost me less on a meter than it will do if I kept paying a standing monthly amount...ha!

I am not convinced yet that it is money saving. On all the websites I have checked it says they work out half the price of disposables. I have been stocking up on nappies - they are always half-price in one of the big supermarkets (and we have a tesco and asda 2 mins from our house) so for me I am basically saying it costs pretty much the same over the time they are in nappies. So, the decider for me is disposables =easier to mange and they go straight in the bin and I dont want to have washing machine on everyday of the week.

I think a lots of girls on here are planning on using the reusables- please dont attack me!! Just my own thoughts x:flower:

Im planning on using disposibles for the first while, maybe 2 or 3 months or so, Then i will use the reusables, I forget the name of the ones i like, my friend was using them the other day. Theyre like 22 or so for one, and i rekon you'd need about 12 or so, and the liners and nappy all go in the wash on a regular cycle together, so all your buying is the other thin liners and wipes. and they are really cool.. like cow print n stuff. They have poppers aswell so its easier, ill def be doing that as i have no income and i really think it will save me money. obv i will keep a few disposables around incase, but i would like to use resuables. for the money AND the environment.

Reusables definitely work out cheaper but it's all a matter of personal taste i guess. I'll be using them mainly for the enviromental factor,way too much landfill as there is already, i just don't want to add to that if i don't have to !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->