What should I expect?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Rumpskin, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Rumpskin

Rumpskin Free to try again!

Hey ladies

I have my first appointment with the midwife tomorrow and I am really excited!

What should I expect - will she prod around bump (or lack of!) and do anything internal?

I know she will do bloods and take a urine sample (I think I have a urine infection).

What questions will she ask?

I have been told it will take 1 1/2 hrs.

Thanks xxx

2. princess_vix

princess_vix Guest

My first midwife appointment nothing really happened except she found out a few details..it lasted about 15 mins and she just weighed me and asked questions...she didn't touch bump and i had blood tests at my scan so i think it really depends on different places

:) xx

3. mrsholmes

mrsholmes Well-Known Member

should u take your OH with u? mine is on the 30th and im not sure what everyone else does?

4. juliespencer9

juliespencer9 Well-Known Member

i think they ask u your history also, may i ask u something, when u had your early scan at 6 w 4 days, what didyou see, heart beat? coz im having early scan on wed.

julie x

5. Rumpskin

Rumpskin Free to try again!

My OH is not coming, I dont think he really needs to. Up to you sweets xx

6. princess_vix

princess_vix Guest

My OH didn't come with me..there's not much need.but it's good if he wants to meet midwife and has questions himself! xx

7. sapphire20

sapphire20 Olivia & Alex <3

I think it all depends on where you live and how they do things.

My first appointment consisted of bloods, some questions and my weight and height and blood pressure, once I get my 12 week scan, she will do my booking appointment then with all the history information.

C

8. wishes

wishes Mummy of two :)

I saw the mw for the first time last week... she tested my urine sample and said fine, then checked my blood pressure. That was about it! Poor hubby took afternoon off work for that! :rofl:

Shes coming to my house in 2 weeks for my proper booking in... said will be half hour. Jut really history and details about antinatal classes etc.

9. Clartylou

Clartylou Mummy to Samuel, Pgt no#2

My first mw appt lasted 45 mins and consisted of answering questions about my and H's medical history and immediate family. No blood or urine samples were taken. I was weighed and had BP checked.

Quite a deflating experience for me actually.

Clartylou x

10. mrsholmes

thanks! what sort of historY?

11. mrsholmes

sorry just seen ur post Clartylou? sorry to hear that im well excited but I suppose the midwife sees it all the time

12. wishes

wishes Mummy of two :)

Medical history of both of your familes... your past pregnancy history (any mc or previous pregs)... and your mums birth experiences i guess. They just need to know what to look out for to keep you healthy and safe.

13. Cariad_bach

Cariad_bach mum to 2 boys and 2 girls

I always encourage my OH to come with me....

Otherwise he asks me loads of questions when were back that he would have known if he was there,

I also think it helps make him feel involved xxxxx

14. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

i didn't get my tummy felt until my 22 week appointment :)

first appointment was a lot of questions, a urine sample, blood taken, BP checked, weighed and a vaginal swab (which i did myself) to check for chlamydia.

15. bethyb

bethyb Expecting our third!!!

With my LO they asked me to fill out forms stating things like ur ethnic origin, age, address etc etc then details of other pregnancies and r labour, I was asked if I wanted hiv tests done etc, had urine taken and blood pressure and they weighed me then they asked if there was any medical history they should know about. (heart problems etc)
    This time my midwife is coming to my home? All very new for me, as I live in Wales now so not sure how they do things here. mines at 2.30 tomorrow too - yey we slowly moving forward!!!!!