What to and what not to eat during pregnancy

Does anyone know if soya milk is fine for pregnant? Just love it.

I've never heared it mentioned on the "to avoid lists"....lots of vegans etc drink it so I wouldn't worry:hugs:

All the foods I've been told to eat (like wholemeal bread, pasta, potatoes etc) I can't eat at the best of times - they bloated me before and had terrible cramps, now I'm literally in agony if I eat them.
Yet things I love like broccoli, grapes, cabbage I can no longer eat since becoming pregnant.
I've just reached week 13 and am finally getting an appetite back and have (finally) managed to eat my fave veg - broccoli. Did anyone else have issues with normal, healthy veg/fruit?

I read somewhere not to eat alfalfa sprouts... any one else heard this?

I think sprouts sit around for days sprouting in a warm wet environment which I guess isn't so good for bacteria - anyway I deffo I heard no beansprouts. I'm avoiding them anyway.

loulizr, I can't stand garlic anymore! the smell makes me think somethings gone off. Weird.

Anyone know if eating something on this list one time during their pregnancy will cause any problems? I ate some honey roasted peanuts last night ( 3 oz ) and my OH has pretty bad asthma.

Anyone know if eating something on this list one time during their pregnancy will cause any problems? I ate some honey roasted peanuts last night ( 3 oz ) and my OH has pretty bad asthma.

There's nothing to suggest that one helping of peanuts will do any harm, but it's probably best to avoid them from now on. My hubby has bad asthma and we both have cat allergies, I also have hayfever, so I've been steering clear of nuts like the plague since day one!

One of hubby's distant relatives has a very severe nut allergy, actually his cousin does too, but this distant relative's mum ate all sorts of nuts by the barrel when she was pregnant. Doctors reckon it was the quantity of nuts she consumed that triggered the allergy.

There's nothing to suggest that one helping of peanuts will do any harm, but it's probably best to avoid them from now on. My hubby has bad asthma and we both have cat allergies, I also have hayfever, so I've been steering clear of nuts like the plague since day one!

One of hubby's distant relatives has a very severe nut allergy, actually his cousin does too, but this distant relative's mum ate all sorts of nuts by the barrel when she was pregnant. Doctors reckon it was the quantity of nuts she consumed that triggered the allergy.

Yeah, I didn't really know about the nuts thing.

My OH has peanut allergies as well. When I asked him whether his father has asthma and his mom ate peanuts, he said yes to both.

Well, now I will stay away from peanuts. They just looked really good when I went to the store, and had no idea that eating those with OH having asthma (and cat allergies!!) would possibly make my bean get peanut allergies.

If your OH has a true peanut allergy, do you think you should be eating them? It could make him very ill if he's in contact with you anytime afterwards....even just a bit on your clothes could trigger an attack.

My DR told me smoked salmon is fine to eat,its pre-smoked getting rid of any bacterias etc

:thumbup: Nice thread!

Yes, I know about fish. The levels in some freshwater fish are horrible in some places too. :hug:

yup, smoked fish is fine, even cold-smoked salmon as the smoking will kill off bacteria.

smoked mackerel is a good way of getting your omega-3's!

oh, and haagen-daas icecream is fine too, the eggs will be cooked, it's soft serve icecream like mr whippy because of the hygeine of the machines that we can't eat.

when I was preggy, someone told me not to eat eggplants(any manner it is cooked). who has something to say about this?

when I was preggy, someone told me not to eat eggplants(any manner it is cooked). who has something to say about this?

I've never heared of avoiding eggplants or aubergines as we call them here in Britain. I have eaten it roasted loads of times this pregnancy:happydance:

..Thanks for that info hevz. but from stories around here, I'm still afraid to eat 'aubergines' during pregnancy.

oops i love the soft ice cream, ive eaten loads of it :(

I've heard your not supposed to eat lunch meat, but i cant stop eating subway!! mmmmmmmmm so good. :dohh:

thanks for this wonderful guide!:happydance:
https://women.evenhealth.com/image/c/bg1025484.jpg
https://www.pregnancy-duedate.com/tickers/m31rqr38dx7u2gvr.png

Eat the right food

While you are pregnant it very important to eat a healthy balanced diet. Your doctor or midwife will advise you to take extra supplements. You are not 'eating for two'. Each woman and each pregnancy is different and your needs will change throughout the pregnancy. Your GP and midwife will be able to give you advice on the right foods for you to eat to maintain a steady and healthy weight gain.

Listen to your body and let your appetite tell you when, and how much, to eat. However, eating lots of fatty foods, including cakes and biscuits, will mean that you won't fill very quickly and will be taking in lots of unnecessary calories.

As a general guide, try to eat lots of vegetables and fruit. Starchy foods, such as brown bread, baked potatoes, pasta and rice, are 'complex carbohydrates' that fill you up without being full of calories. Your doctor will probably advise you to take extra supplements of folic acid, if you have not already begun doing so, which has been proven to reduce the risk of your baby developing spina bifida.

Avoiding eating certain foods

When you are pregnant there are some foods that you should avoid because they are unsafe for your baby. These include:

Unpasteurized cheeses, which may carry listeria (a bacteria that is killed by the pasteurization process). Eating foods containing listeria increases the risk of a miscarriage. Check the label when you buy cheeses to find out if it is unpasteurized. If you are unsure - however appetizing it looks - it is probably best to avoid it.

Also:

Some other types of cheese
Avoid cheeses such as Camembert, Brie or chevre (a type of goats' cheese), or others that have a similar rind. You should also avoid blue cheeses.

These cheeses are made with mould and they can contain listeria, a type of bacteria that could harm your unborn baby.

Raw or undercooked meats may also contain listeria and should therefore be avoided. It is probably a good idea to steer clear of shellfish, sushi, and rare meats like steak. Also, if you are having a barbecue, ensure the meat is thoroughly cooked before eating.

Raw or lightly-cooked eggs may contain salmonella, an organism that causes food poisoning. If you are pregnant it is best to eat hard-boiled rather than soft-boiled eggs. Also, be wary of foods containing raw egg, such as mayonnaise and mousse desserts. Always read the label before buying foods to check whether they contain raw eggs.

Liver contains high levels of vitamin A that can cause foetal abnormalities if eaten in excess. Foods containing high amounts of liver, such as paté, are therefore best avoided during pregnancy.

Certain fish as the government's Food Standards Agency has recommended that pregnant women don't eat shark, swordfish or marlin, as it may contain potentially unsafe levels of naturally occurring mercury. They also advise that women who intend to become pregnant, are pregnant or breastfeeding, should eat no more than two medium-size cans of tuna (with a drained weight of 140g per can), or one fresh tuna steak per week. This is comparable to six rounds of tuna sandwiches or three tuna salads per week.

Herbs to avoid during pregnancy Added 09/01/07

Various sources have recommended avoiding the following herbs during pregnancy. These herbs should also be avoided after ovulation, in case you may be pregnant.

Barberry Bloodroot, Calamus Cascara, Sagrada Fennel Flaxseed,
Goldenseal Juniper, Lavender Licorice Root, Male Fem Mayapple,
Mistletoe Passion Flower, Pennyroyal (a strong uterine stimulant!!!),Periwinkle Poke Root Rhubarb, Sage St. John's Wort
Tansy Thyme, Wild Cherry Wormwood, Yarrow

Foods you don't need to avoid (British Food Standard Agency)

It can be confusing trying to work out which foods you can eat and which foods you should avoid when you're pregnant. You might find it helpful to look at this list of some of the foods you don't need to avoid:

Shellfish, including prawns - as long as they are part of a hot meal and have been properly cooked
Live or bio yoghurt
Probiotic drinks
Fromage frais
Creme fraiche
Soured cream
Spicy food
Mayonnaise, ice cream, salad dressing - as long as they haven't been made using raw egg. Generally, mayonnaise, ice cream and salad dressing you buy in shops will have been made with pasteurised egg, which means it's safe to eat. But it's better to avoid home-made versions if they contain raw egg. If you're not sure about any of these foods when you're eating out, ask staff for more information.
Honey - it's fine for pregnant women but honey isn't suitable for babies under a year old.

Many types of cheese including:
Hard cheese, such as Cheddar and Parmesan
Feta
Ricotta
Mascarpone
Cream cheese
Mozzarella
Cottage cheese
Processed cheese, such as cheese spreads

Caffeine: It's important not to have more than 300mg a day. This is because high levels of caffeine can result in babies having a low birth weight, or even miscarriage.
Each of these contains roughly 300mg of caffeine:
3 mugs of instant coffee (100mg each)
4 cups of instant coffee (75mg each)
3 cups of brewed coffee (100mg each)
6 cups of tea (50mg each)
8 cans of cola (up to 40mg each)
4 cans of 'energy' drink (up to 80mg each)
8 (50g) bars of plain chocolate (up to 50mg each). Caffeine in milk chocolate is about half that of plain chocolate
So if you eat a bar of plain chocolate and drink 3 cups of tea, a can of cola and a cup of instant coffee in a day, you'll have reached your 300mg limit.

Hey Really nice information u have provided. It is really useful.

I bet you the soft serve thing depends on how the ice cream is made. I know it can be from a powdered form of milk, which should be totally fine. Probably depends on where you are getting it. More than likely the better the quality, the more apt it is to be a no no! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->