What to buy for the baby?

Periwinkle58

Reaction score
I'm only 15 weeks but since Black Friday is coming up, OH and I thought it'd be a good idea to buy some of the more expensive things so we can save a lil. The thing is we'll be living in a one bedroom apt til July when we buy a house so I won't be building a nursery til after we move. I only wanna buy the essentials for the first 4-ish months due to lack of space and for convenience. I'm a FTM and am super overwhelmed and honestly have no idea what I'm doing :wacko: help!

I was looking at the Graco Pack and Play Playard with Cuddle Cove Rocking Seat for an all in one. Is it good for the baby to sleep in for the first few months?

Do I need a swing/bouncer/glider or any of those things or is it too early?
Should I buy a chair for nursing or can I do without one?

What do I def need for the first 5 months? Thanks for your help ladies :kiss:

You actually need way less than you think! We bought loads for DS and I've gone with the bear minimum this time. So far I have:
Moses basket and rocking crib, should last the first 6 months and then I'll buy a cot bed
Changing mat
Nappies and cotton wool
swinging chair (not essential but it will be somewhere handy to put baby when my hands are full with my 3 year old)
Wardrobe
Clothes up to 6 months - mainly baby grows and vests in newborn size, a bit more variety for larger sizes
Muslin cloths
Breast pads (reusable ones and disposables)
Maternity pads
Baby towel
Baby monitor (not essential if you keep baby with you for first few months)
Buggy and car seat

That's it to be honest! I had all the bottles sterilisers etc with DS but he wouldn't take a bottle so I ended up not using any of it. I also had a nursing chair but because he didn't like feeding in cradle hold we never used it - I fed him on the sofa or the edge of the bed most of the time instead.

You might find a 'V' pillow useful for propping yourself/baby up while feeding

I have a list built for myself. Same situation as you, first time mom.

Do remember you can buy a lot used. There's not much need for brand new clothing for your lo if he/she will be wearing most stuff once or twice, and a little elbow grease can ensure those tougher used items are ready and clean for your baby. Also if you are planning a baby shower, hold off on popular gift choices until afterwards and focus on bigger ticket items in the meantime.

But if there's one thing I'd highly recommend buying new, it'd be a car seat, so it's a good idea to find one (or a couple) you'd feel happy with and checking them for Black Friday sales. (You can also decide on whether a car seat or a travel system work best for you... for myself, I'm planning on a convertible seat.)

You don't need much to be honest. We were either given hand me downs or bought things second hand so we spent very little. Essentials would be a car seat, something for transporting baby like a wrap/carrier/stroller (we have a jogging stroller to use for walking/running at home but have only ever used an Ergo carrier when away from the house with baby, strollers are too much of a hassle in my opinion), somewhere for baby to sleep day and night (we had a Moses basket in our bedroom for nighttime and a pack n play in the living room for daytime), clothes and blankets. That's all we really needed, we had both a swing and a vibrating chair that were handed down to us, LO didn't like the swing much so it was barely used but she did like the chair and it was handy to have for when I wanted to put her down but she was fussy. I would often bring it into the bathroom so I could sit her in it while I showered.

I have a rocking chair in her room but I almost never used it because I found the arm rests got in the way and baby would bump her head on them when in cradle hold.

I'm totally thinking the same thing with Black Friday! I'm a first time mum too :) I'm in the UK but we appear to have adopted Black Friday as a thing now, even though Thanksgiving is not a holiday for us! We've basically said if we find any of the bigger, more expensive items on sale now, we'all probably grab them (such as pushchair, Moses basket, nursery furniture), everything else can probably wait a bit longer! We also get pretty decent Boxing Day sales in the U.K too, so more bargains to be had hopefully! It's really helpful to hear what other mums deem as essential as there is so much stuff out there! It's hard to know what to buy!

I personally skip the swings, bouncers, jumparoos, and all of that gear. Babies don't need all that to be happy and occupied and truthfully with my first I bought all that only for her to hate every bit of it. And my second daughter also disliked it. :dohh: so this time around I am getting a car seat, activity mat, nursing covers, clothes, diapers and wipes. There are small essentials like bathtime stuff but in general all that big fussy stuff you see in babies r us is unnecessary, especially if you are trying to save space. A pack n play with the changing table built in would be perfect to start out in. I cosleep so didn't ever use more than the changing table portion but it was still helpful. Oh and I forgot the stroller. I still have my city select but definite essential for me.

Pack and Plays pay for themselves in convenience!! We were in a 2 bedroom when my 1st daughter was born. We did have a crib, but the pack and play served as bassinette until she was 3 m and went into the crib, change table and playpen all in one device that was transportable to where ever we were going! I honestly think we could get buy with pack and play, stroller exersaucer and car seat! With DD we had 2 swings, an exersaucer and tummy mats and all kinds of toys but all she really wanted to do was lounge about on her tummy looking at the world until she was old enough for the exersaucer. some may say exersaucers are not important, but once she got to that age it was so nice to pop her in there to play and bounce while I did dishes or made dinner. It was great for building leg strength and was a safe space!

I would suggest a swing... but that's usually hit or miss because not all babies like the swing... my babies all lived it... it was a nice place for them to sleep in while I was cleaning the house or cooking.. the bouncer was a miss.... I wouldn't get that again...

DD adored her swing and it was a safe place to put her when I went to the toilet or whatever. Ours is still in good nick, just need to give the fabric cover a wash and this LO can use it too! Something I personally wouldn't be without, and the only reason we bought it was 'cause we were feeling a bit flush that week

Our son didn't like the swing and I got rid of it so we will skip it this time around. He loved a rock n play and so did I! He actually slept in that at first and they are so easy to carry from room to room. We will be purchasing muslin swaddle blankets for this girl. One of my friends taught me that they work great for a nursing cover as well! Our son loved the bouncer also from when he could hold himself up to when he got older.

I had the same thoughts.... I'm just gonna peruse and see if there is anything I want on an awesome deal. LOL

Thanks for all your help ladies! I'm definitely gonna look for a travel system and bassinet and hopefully find some more good deals. I always wondered if all those things they tell you to buy would actually be used. Seems like a lot for a tiny human haha but thanks I really appreciate the input ❤️

By the time we got to our third, it was all pretty basic. Clothes, a car seat, nappies (cloth), a pushchair (already had one) and some bibs for when she spits up.

We decided to go for the pram with free car seat option in Mothercare in the UK. We really wanted the pram and would have bought it with no offers anyway so seemed wise to get a free car seat if offered! We also bought a cotbed and chest of draws from Mothercare as they had a £200 saving on them! That'll do for now :) all essentials we'd have bought anyway so nice to find some savings in the sales!

For me: an infant car seat with base, lightweight stroller, bouncy seat since it could go room to room so easily, swing was a lifesaver when dd had colic. Those were the big things I'd do again. Oh, and yes, a pack n play is nice to have especially when they start crawling and you need to get something done. I hope you found some good deals today. I went out and was back home after 2 hours as I didn't find anything that I thought was a really good deal :(

For me: an infant car seat with base, lightweight stroller, bouncy seat since it could go room to room so easily, swing was a lifesaver when dd had colic. Those were the big things I'd do again. Oh, and yes, a pack n play is nice to have especially when they start crawling and you need to get something done. I hope you found some good deals today. I went out and was back home after 2 hours as I didn't find anything that I thought was a really good deal :(

Unfortunately same for me :/ didn't buy a single thing after 5 hrs of walking around. Only things on sale were really crappy n low quality and the couple things I really wanted were sold out by the time I got there... I guess Amazon it is haha

Unfortunately same for me :/ didn't buy a single thing after 5 hrs of walking around. Only things on sale were really crappy n low quality and the couple things I really wanted were sold out by the time I got there... I guess Amazon it is haha

I didn't see anything either when I went out... I don't know where you're from, but target had a sale for 15% off everything for a couple of days... they had stuff that was slightly on sale, but with the extra 15% it gave a bigger discount, and if you have a red card, additional 5%.... so those two days I founds lots of great things for baby... Onsies.... those were 40% off and an additional 15%... the swing in wanted came out to about $90... so I actually shopped a couple of days after Black Friday... hopefully there's a great sale for you to find the things you want most!

Yeah I did that for a few things. ended up being SO much better than black friday. Got the an awesome playard/bassinet that's usually $250 for only $120 on amazon! Def worth it. Macy's has a good 30% off sale going on right now for clothes too that i'm gonna look into. :)

I would say you dont need asmuch as you think.
Perrsonally second time we are not getting a moses basket but instead a crib as the moses basket only lasted 7weeks!!!
So in your position i would say...

Crib
Travel system
Bouncer for when you need to go for a wee :winkwink:
Bottles if using
And clothes.
I wouldnt even bother with a changing mat we just used blankets or towels on the floor most of the time.
You can breast and bottle feed from the comfort of your bed or sofa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->