What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

oohh when do u think i should start buying and packing?i'm thinking maybe now lol but when do u think is best?xxx

Ive just got my case out and might get it packed tonight (ive been procrastinating :haha:) I wouldn't leave it as late as I have!!!!

In my labour bag I have

Dressing gown
Slippers
2 nighties
Socks pants
Towel
Headband and bobble
Tooth brush and tooth paste

After birth bag I have
Another towel
Pack of breast pads
High absorbent towels
Sponge
Nursing bras
Pjs
Pants
Disposable pants
Nappies and wipes
Anti back gel
Hair brush
Soap

Babys bag I have
Nappies
Going home outfit
2 baby grows different sizes
2 vests also different sizes
Blanket for crib
Small blanket for car seat
Hats x2
Scratch mittens x2
Socksx2
Small Teddy
Bibs
Muslin square

I feel like ive got too many bags but I can't get things to go any smaller!
Also still got to do hubbies bag with the camera and everything in.

Does anyone think I should leave my after birth bag in the car and send nubby out for it afterwards or should I just take it in with me?

O and another thing has anyone else got anymore suggestions or can think of anything I have missed off?

Thanks everyone

I asked my midwife what I need to pack today, she said it would be in one of the leaflets I got at booking, so I dont know where that leaflet is so just found leaflets on website for my birthing centre and this is what it says

For you:
• Day and night clothes
• Dressing gown and slippers
• Toiletries
• Sanitary towels and disposable pants
• Nursing bras
• Breast pads
• Change for the phone
• Money to purchase card for TV and phone at the bedside
• Camera
• Towel
For baby:
• Baby vests, babygros and jackets
• Hats
• Bootees and scratch mittens
• Cotton wool
• Disposable or real nappies
• Mothers wishing to bottle feed are required to bring formula milk, bottles and teats into the Maternity Unit.
The sterilizing fluid and units will be provided.

Ok that seems like nothing compared to the list everybody has been writing :wacko:

I mean bed socks? lipbalm? etc
Birthing partner bag? food? etc

think i'm gonna take ideas from alllll of you and pack my bag that way lol... i'll never remember everythign else xx

Still can't believe how big and heavy my bag is considering I've narrowed it down to what I consider necessary (and will probably turn out too little)...

This is my bag -
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs780.ash1/167001_152158301503232_100001271882315_306750_2998234_n.jpg

*There are pillows in the sleeping bag case, and a note to remind me to pick up the few things that can't be pack yet.

Breast Pads (10)
Lucozade
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste
Deodorant
Jammies (2)
Hair Brush
Hair Bands (4)
Pads (2pks)
Slipper Socks (2)
Home Clothes
Sweeties
Undies (10)
Lip Balm
Strappy Tops (2)
Dry Shampoo
Mascara
Foundation
Powder
Brush
Blusher
Towel
Carrier Bags
Hair Pins (15)
Comfy Bottoms (2)

For Baby:
Toy
Nappies (10)
Wipes
1st Outfit
Sleep Suits (2)
Clothes To Go Home
Nappy Sacks
Sample Sudocrem
Towel
Spare Outfit
Small Baby Outfit

Hubby:
Change
Clean Top
Drinks
Snacks
Camera
Mobile Phone Charger

Instead of nightys I'm intending on just packing sarongs, I can then wrap them over me in what ever way feels comfy and it doesn't matter if they get dirty, plus I have loads of them so it's not going to cost me £££s in buying things just for the hospital trip.
I'm shocked at how much some of you girls are packing in your bags!

I'm defo gonna come back to this list after baby's born (well, I hope to.. i won't make promises lol) and put up what I took, then do an edited list as someone who hasn't been given a list by midwife to go by. I've already edited my list twice and re-packed my bags so it's dwindled from 2 holdalls and OH's bag to 1 holdall, 2 small carrier bags (the carrier bags consisting being 1 for labour, 1 for going home gear) and OH will be taking his bag with him to stay at his bro's down the road anyways. I think people who have had the experience of packing a bag and taking it should be posting on here really, instead they just tell us we've packed too much :(

didn't see in the list any meication you may be on, im diabetic and i know it would take a while for the hospital to be able to give me my insulin if i didnt take it with me as they would have to go through various doctors and then the hospital pharmacy.

I really got some great ideas on what to take to the hospital. Ill be able to organize my own list very soon by looking at this examples. Thanks:happydance:

Now that I'm so close to my due date and since I have had to re-pack my bag due to another hospital stay, thought I would put up what I packed in mine. I am taking a small pull along suitcase (hand luggage size) and a vanity bag type thing for my toiletries and snacks etc :

Suitcase

Vest top (for use in birth pool, trying to keep some of my dignity!)
Old nightie (for labouring on dry land)
PJ's (for after in case I get kept in although hoping for a 6hr discharge)
Breast pads
Maternity pads
Cotton pants (hate disposable so got cheap pants I can throw away)
Slippers
Dressing gown
Socks
Camera
Phone charger

3 baby vests (in case we're kept in)
2 sleepsuits (in case we're kept in)
1 going home outfit
1 snowsuit
Hat & mitts
nappies
1 pack of baby wipes

Vanity bag

Toiletries (shower gel, toothpaste, toothbrush, hairbrush, kirby grips, deodorant)
Energy shakes
Snacks

Car seat and blanket will be in car for DH to bring in once we're ready to come home.

Planning on wearing the outfit I go into hospital with home but may stick a change in just in case.

Pretty sure I am taking less than I did with DS but my recent stint in hospital has made me realise what I will need and what I don't.

I have a while before packing my bag, but I am such a bleedin' organiser, I have sat here tonight trying to remember what to pack, and I only had my son 2 years ago..surprising how much I forget!!

I over-packed last time but I think it was because I was in for such a short time -

For me I will be packing

PJS..I will be using a hospital gown for delivery as I did last time, and it was ruined so rather theirs than mine!
Slippers
THIN dressing gown - so damn hot in the maternity wards
Maternity towels/Breast Pads
nursing bra
Toiletries
Camera
Lucozade/sweets/banana!
Outfit will prob be the one I go in with
Dark towel
Pillow Hairbands
Lansinoh nipple cream!
Phone
Loose change

Baby will have the basics - 2 vests 2 babygrows Hat, Mittens, Outfit for going home, Carseat, Blanket, Cotton wool balls, Nappy bags

I literally live a 5 min drive so I am not too fussed and I 'Dfeel so embarrassed hauling a large load in with me LOL!!!

That is all I can think of for now, but handily enough when I was there last time, a lady comes round with Bounty bags and inside there was about 5 newborn nappies, so that helped!

Oooh if you are taking a digital camera - make sure the memory card is empty before arriving and battery is full (possibly take a spare) as we almost had this disaster!

I should be having little'un at a midwife unit that operates a 6 hr discharge and all rooms are private/en-suite - so I'm wondering how much I can reduce the usual lists.... so, those of you who've done similar before, can you advise:

Baby:
How many nappies
How many vests/ sleepsuits (will have seperate going home outfit)

Me:
Dressing gown (do I really need it at all? all rooms are private/ensuite and will be no visitors other than birth partner)
Maternity Pads (thinking one pack of 10 should be fine?)
Pairs of knickers (thinking pack of 5 cheapie/disposable ones?)

If I need to stay in longer it will probably be for at least 24 hours plus transfer to another town, so I do plan to have another bag packed with plenty extra stuff for all of us "just in case" but hope that will stay in the car.

Okay, so I ended up being induced, and then an emergency c-section.... I was in from Friday morning 'til Monday afternoon.

*I only used three sleepsuits & vests
*No more than ten nappies
*Didn't need breast pads in the end
*The hospital supplied all the maternity pads for me, to check any progress during induction/after cesarean
*I couldn't eat any of my snacks during induction 'cos I was put on the drip! -.- ALTHOUGH once I could move around again, they came in really useful 'cos the hospital meals were pathetically small and unfilling
*Didn't spend any money other than bus fare there and taxi back
*My cheap knickers weren't big enough to wear with my wound so the hospital gave me a couple disposable ones whilst I was in, BUT I wasn't even in underwear 'til the last day

I'm distracted right now, if I think of anymore points I'll post again.

Remember to bring your prenatals if youre planning to still use them to BF, ladies!!!

When I had Amelia I took -

pjs x 2 (My labour was a long one so until they broke my waters I was actually wearing pjs, then afterwards I wore a vest top and a sheet haha)
Nighty x 1
7 x cheap undies
1 big pack of maternity pads
1 box of breast pads
Nursing bra
Old, dark coloured towel
Socks (I get really cold feet)
Light weight dressing gown

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Face wipes
Moisturiser
Head bands and bobbles

Maternity notes
mp3
Magazine
Puzzle book
Snacks and energy drinks
Camera + extra batteries
Phone
Purse with lots of change

3 x sleepsuits
3 x baby grows
2 x hats
2 x socks
2 x mittens
Going home outfit
Blanket

1 pack nappies
cotton wool

With Amelia I was in hospital for a week, so hubby had to keep bringing Amelia and myself changes of clothes, more nappies, wipes, maternity and breast pads etc.

This time I will pack exactly the same, my hospital provided a tens machine, and they even had an aromotherepy thing that made the room smell of lovely lavender.

My advice would be pack another bag at home, with extra pjs, clothes, maternity pads, breast pads, nappies, cotton wool/wipes, sleepsuits, babygrows, hats, socks/mittens etc so that if you do have an extra long stay in hospital and you run out of everything your partner/mum whoever can just pick up the bag and you know everything is in there that you need!

It will save a lot of time and money (if they can't find the things you have asked for)

xXx

Not sure if anyone has put this but recently i was in hospital and had a bath but before that i had to rinse the bath out coz someone elses hairs were in there so im gonna take a small bottle of bathroom cleaner or anti-bacterial cleaner in with me xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->