What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

Not sure if anyone has put this but recently i was in hospital and had a bath but before that i had to rinse the bath out coz someone elses hairs were in there so im gonna take a small bottle of bathroom cleaner or anti-bacterial cleaner in with me xx

Yeah, as a cleaner having been and cleaned in the maternity ward myself, be careful of other ladies random bodily fluids on the floor... don't take slippers without waterproof/hard bottoms to them or take flip flops to walk corridors, although if the cleaners/staff are good enough it shouldnt be a problem but that's just my experience! xxx

going home outfit, Deodorant,shower gel,pajamas T-shirts,undergarments,socks,slippers, baby clothes, swaddler n blankets.

I so thought my bags were ready to be packed, and I dont have half of the stuff listed! Argh!

I think Im going to be on my own at the hospital (family might not make it in time they miles away, and parents may be in majorca on holiday), I dont want to ask friends to come in the middle of the night etc so Ive got a friend sorted for looking after my son, and planning that the labour and hospital stay will be on my own. Given this.. should I take my car seat with me when I go into labour? If Im able to drive there I can leave the carseat in the car, but if I have to take a taxi or something then Im going to be struggling to get things brought in to me. Will they let me come home by bus if I have no carseat? When I had Joshua you had to have a carseat for discharge!

Oh, I took anti-bacterial wipes for the toilet seats, but the hospital had they're own up (to stop the spread of Hep B)
Also took soft toilet roll, in the event of stitches down below but ended up using it to wipe baby's mouth every-so-often because I had an emergency c-section and obviously didn't mind the hospital loo paper.

I so thought my bags were ready to be packed, and I dont have half of the stuff listed! Argh!

I think Im going to be on my own at the hospital (family might not make it in time they miles away, and parents may be in majorca on holiday), I dont want to ask friends to come in the middle of the night etc so Ive got a friend sorted for looking after my son, and planning that the labour and hospital stay will be on my own. Given this.. should I take my car seat with me when I go into labour? If Im able to drive there I can leave the carseat in the car, but if I have to take a taxi or something then Im going to be struggling to get things brought in to me. Will they let me come home by bus if I have no carseat? When I had Joshua you had to have a carseat for discharge!

As far as I know we're not allowed to leave without the correct car seat etc.

Breast pump in case of latching problems and you dont want baby fed formula!!!

Things I was glad to have /wish I'd known / had /taken etc....

Boots maternity pads - imo more comfy than other brands
Mother care maternity pads - good for hospital stays where they need to monitor discharge - but less comfy.
I had 3 packs and found that enough

anti bac hand wash - minis - realllllly useful before I fed or handled our little girl as getting up and down to wash my hands was painful.

Boots maternity towels (think that's what they're called) for traveling if waters have broken and still coming - very useful for car journeys

penny sweets and granola bars - really enjoyed those during hospital stay

Paper and pen for recording contraction times etc - memory was rubbish on the day so glad to have something to hand to write it down.

wish i'd remembered to cut my nails before that week - short nails are much better when de-latching baby from breast.

BENDY STRAW for drink - we had orange juice and apple juice cartons and ended up using the straws off of those for the water I drank - much easier when in full swing with contractions.

Mobile phone with internet access was useful - great way to pass time in hospital - contact friends/relatives and look for nearby shops if needed.

:hugs:

Ooohh and if you take slippers I wish I'd bought a size up because my feet had swollen during my stay in hospital - could only just squeeze them on!

If you're in for a section definately take a dressing gown, slippers & bendy straws!!!

Well after my rather unexpected experience, I discovered these things were helpful to me personally:

- Maternity Pads - as many as you can take and then get more shipped in by the OH! I changed mine every time I went to the toilet and was doubling up on them in the first two days. It keeps things a little cleaner down there, that and nothing can prepare you for the smell of Lochia... my god! So gross lol.

- Feminine wipes. Great for keeping you fresh inbetween using the bidet at hospital (as using it every time you go is a bit time consuming when you have a LO waiting back at ur bed). Also bought some for when at home - they always seem nice n cold n felt good to press against stitches. Midwives always complimented how clean I was down there and how well things were healing.

- Snacks. Not for labour (as I wasn't allowed to eat anything incase I threw up during the pushing) but for afterwards to have handy if breastfeeding. Surprising how thirsty you get and what with the MAJOR fluid loss (you pee fluids you didn't even drink!) and sweats/heat on the ward you need to keep drinking and eating little n often.

- Nipple shields (if breastfeeding). You know the state of your own boobs - after giving birth on labour ward I tried to BF but told the midwife I needed shields as my nipples were rubbish. I was told to try without at first only for my poor baby to slip off and get nothing out. Wasn't til then they listened and gave me a crappy shield. I did have my own medela ones and so wished i'd started using them from the offset!

Pocket tissues - for the weepies! I don't think I would've been weepy if i'd not been left alone in a side room with a breast pump watching tele on my own at night whilst my baby were in NICU :(

Vests and sleepsuits - A couple more of each than you intend to take for nappy leaks or milk getting everywhere. I'm getting through two lots a day on a bad day now. Thankfully NICU supplied me with a couple extra they'd been donated (they had a massive stash - I ended up taking them home but they don't fit anymore as turns out nurses are really bad at guessing what will fit a LO lol who knew they did so many different length sizes).

Your OH/Birthing partner/contact with the outside world - Guaranteed if things don't go to plan and you end up staying there a little longer through some kind of complication that you will forget or need something bringing in. I'd be BF at stupid o'clock and come morning time my DH would have about ten texts with things i'd remember for him to bring in - poor bugger had to then go around the house locating all these items (even though i'd put a pile of stuff in the 'just incase' basket in the bedroom) and still came with the wrong things. That's where other visiting relatives that know what they're doing can help (eg. when I needed more maternity pads).

Think that's it :)
xxx

also bottles & formula if bottle feeding. (im wanting to breast feed but also bringing these 'just incase' ) as been reading in 2nd tri about all hospitals stopping giving milk :wacko::shrug:

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-second-trimester/539972-stoping-milk-hospitals.html

this is a great thread, i was going to post one but I found this. YAY :D

As I'm due in summer, do I need to worry about hats/mittens/blankets?

I just came across this and it's brilliant with every-ones added suggestions! Who knows better than the pregnancy books then women who have been there themselves :)

I love this thread!!! Makes me so excited for what's ahead. I've just ordered my hospital bag and looking to start buying miniature toiletries to pack away. For the lady above due in summer too...I'm taking a thin cotton hat which matches her coming home outfit, taking scratch mits and a cellular blanket for coming home with. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->