What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

What about a jug for pouring water over your bits when you have your first wee? Or a bottle of water I guess. Apparently this makes it MUCH less painful, although I am only going on hearsay.

this really does help!! my body wouldnt actually let me pee when i tried, then the nurse on duty told me to pour cold water as i peed and it was so helpful! i done it for about 2 weeks until the small tears and scratches had healed.

also get loads of maternity pads! bulk buy! you will go through so many at home as well as in the hospital, i only took a pack of 10 in with me and was so embarrassed when i had to ask for more! (like you could be more embarrassed than having your legs wide open and everyone having a stare!) also a big thick maternity pad is also really helpful f you are finding it difficult to go poop after you have given birth, holding a folded pad over you sore bits will take away the pressure and gives you peace of mind that nothing can fall out that shouldnt fall out as you will feel huge down there! even though you wont be huge and nothing will fall out lol!

As I'm due in summer, do I need to worry about hats/mittens/blankets?

my DD came in summer and when you are in the hospital the midwives like to wrap your baby up nice and snug as they have been so warm and cozy inside you, also the wards are so hot that it will feel cold outside to your baby, i didnt take blankets and only 1 set of mittens and hats but OH had to run home and had to basically pack a whole new baby bag! lots of hats, mittens, vests and babygros, blankets.

when should we pack our hopsital bag??xxxxx

pack early as I ended up in the hospital in preterm labor last week and had to send my husband home..what he came back resembled nothing like what I had put on the list...lol... never too early to start :) thank goodness I was released from the hospital and could properly pack the bag which is now ready to go :)

I have my bag packed and this is what i have in mine, if i'm forgetting anything, please let me know, dont wanna get caught short handed :)

My Bag:
nightie (for labour)
x2 PJ's
Going home clothes
Slippers
Breast pads
Toiletries (the girly things hehe)
Towel
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Wipes
Handtowel
Undies
Nursing bras (both day and sleeping ones)
MP3
wordsearch book
pen

Baby's Bag:

Baby gros
Sleep suits
Blanket
Baby towel
Cotton wool Buds
Scratch mits
Socks
Hats
Going home clothing
Nappies
Nappy bags
and colourfull soft toy

My Bag:

For me:
Slippers
2 x nighties
2 x PJ bottoms
2 x PJ tops
Lightweight dressing gown
Shower gel
Body lotion
Deodorant
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Hairbands
Hairbrush
Pack big black knickers
Nursing bra
Baby wipes
4 face cloths
Towel
Antibacterial Hand Gel
Pk 20 maternity pads
10 sets breast pads
Natal Hypnotherapy birth music
CD player
Massage oil
Lavender & Clary sage oils
Oil Burner
Camera
Makeup
Going home clothes
Bottle water
3 x packs of kendal mint cake
Tens machine
Hand held fan

For baby:
3 sleepsuits with built in scratch mits
3 vests
10 nappies
Knitted cardigan
2 x Hats
2 coming home outfits
2 muslin cloths
Blanket
2 x Socks

I think that's it!

I have packed flip flops for the shower...

I'd recommend this - was in the labour ward last week as had contractions (all ok now) and it was SO hot I couldn't bear to wear slippers so flip flops were great and useful for the shower too!

A good tip I've seen somewhere else is antibac wipes to wipe down the bathroom if you need to (depends on how clean you feel your hospital is! Mine wasn't too bad it has to be said, in fact I was impressed how much cleaning went on throughout the day!)

thankyou for this thread...such a big help xx

For my hospital bag I have packed:
Ugly big nightdress - for Labour
PJ's with nursing top
two sleep nursing bras
nappies
muslin squares
nipple cream
breast cooling pads
disposable breast pads
barrier cream
disposable underwear
maternity pads ( lots with wings)
dressing gown
slippers
clothes for baby and little outfit for baby to travel home in
clothes for me to go home in
baby bibbs
a couple of baby shoulder towels
towel for me
toiletries bag for me
maternity swim top (incase the birthing pool is free)

I think that's it....

I will not have packed my Tens unit as i will not be allowed in hospital until i am 5 cm dilated and in eestablished labour. For a Tens unit to work it has to be used from the beginning of your contractions - so i'll using mine before I get into hospital!

xx

sorry my list is a little big but i think i mentioned some things other ladies have forgotten :)
***FOR ME***
*insurance cards
*drivers license
*admittance forms
*birth plan
*WIC form to be filled out
*pregnancy journal given by obgyn w/ all test results, weight changes, etc.
*2 pairs of baggy/loose sweatpants
*2 loose tshirts
*flip flops
*underwear/bra
*travel size shampoo/conditioner
*travel size hair gel
*hair ties
*small hair brush
*deoderant
*travel size body wash
*travel size body spray
*lip balm
*toothbrush/toothpaste
*facial moisturizer
*eyeliner
*mascara
***FOR MY BOYFRIEND (he will be rooming w/ me at night)
*sweatpants
*tshirt
*underwear
*toothbrush
***FOR BABY***
*carseat!!! DONT FORGET IT!!
*2 onesies (2 different sizes)
*2 blankets (1 lightweight & 1 a little heavier)
*2 diapers for the ride home (somewhat short drive)
*a few wipes in a ziplock baggie
***OTHER***
*digital camera w/ memory card
*fully charged batteries
*charger/adapter for batteries
*cell phone charger
*change for snacks/drinks

thats everything i have lol....sounds like a lot but its really not....and i got it all to fit in a large tote bag.
if you think ive forgotten something, please let me know....thanks :)

Although you dont plan for it and for those who are having a planned section I would just in case take a couple of pairs of large knickers that will go over your bikini line. I also plan on taking a nursing pillow

I am having a planned section and am likely to be in hospital at least three nights. I am bringing what I need to for the first night only and then having my husband/mother/mother in law bringing other bags I have already packed - changes of clothes etc as I need them.

Goodness me what alot to think about! Have read the majority of the forum and still have some unanswered questions if anyone could perhaps help?

A little about me, expecting my first baby, *touch wood* experiencing a very healthy straight forward pregnancy so booked in to my local midwife led birthing unit which is a 5 min drive away. So here goes..

*How long wud I expect to be kept in for after there?

*Do I need to pack bathing items for lo, ie a towel?

*Goin to formula feed, how many bottles would I be expected to take?

*Based on the above will I still need breast pads?

Think that's it for now, thank you in advance to anyone who can help x

Do i really need to have a "going home outfit" for the baby, is it mandatory or something as Ive seen it in most people's lists?

I live 10 minutes from the hospital so I was planning on putting the baby im a vest, romper suit with booties hat and mitts, wrap him up and go home.
I ont see why I should get him all properly dressed when I am going straight home with just me and OH :shrug:

Do i really need to have a "going home outfit" for the baby, is it mandatory or something as Ive seen it in most people's lists?

I live 10 minutes from the hospital so I was planning on putting the baby im a vest, romper suit with booties hat and mitts, wrap him up and go home.
I ont see why I should get him all properly dressed when I am going straight home with just me and OH :shrug:

Nah, i think its just that people like the dress baby up in something cute as its their first trip away after being born. I'm taking lots of little rompers & vests, but i don't have a specific going home outfit. The hospital is about 10 mins away from me too, so i will just dress baby in whichever clothes are still clean when we come away from hospital :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->