What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

Ive got to look through all the pages yet but Ive just had one thought (sorry if its already been suggested!) :flower:

To add to hospital bag - any medications you might take. Just with the ones I take they dont always have them in hospital/or struggle to get the right brand. Its handy to have a small supply in the bag just in case you go in quickly. (Im just thinking ahead!!)

Sorry - just popping over from 2nd and had a thought about this :coffee:

Do i really need to have a "going home outfit" for the baby, is it mandatory or something as Ive seen it in most people's lists?

I live 10 minutes from the hospital so I was planning on putting the baby im a vest, romper suit with booties hat and mitts, wrap him up and go home.
I ont see why I should get him all properly dressed when I am going straight home with just me and OH :shrug:

Nah, i think its just that people like the dress baby up in something cute as its their first trip away after being born. I'm taking lots of little rompers & vests, but i don't have a specific going home outfit. The hospital is about 10 mins away from me too, so i will just dress baby in whichever clothes are still clean when we come away from hospital :haha:

I am feeling a little guilty about this too, this is my second baby and all my newborn vests/ babygrows arnt even new and dont match which is even worse lol. Its not even a money thing its just I have old ones so cant quite bring myself to by new matching ones. I am keeping all the pink ones for home where noone will see him i them though (having a boy and my last was girl)

Goodness me what alot to think about! Have read the majority of the forum and still have some unanswered questions if anyone could perhaps help?

A little about me, expecting my first baby, *touch wood* experiencing a very healthy straight forward pregnancy so booked in to my local midwife led birthing unit which is a 5 min drive away. So here goes..

*How long wud I expect to be kept in for after there?

*Do I need to pack bathing items for lo, ie a towel?

*Goin to formula feed, how many bottles would I be expected to take?

*Based on the above will I still need breast pads?

Think that's it for now, thank you in advance to anyone who can help x

You might not need breast pads while staying there but you will when you go home...i too am formula feeding and 2 days after sofia came (and i was already home) i desperatetly needed them because i woke up and my boobs had swelled up soo much over night and they were literally dripping milk

You should still have breast pads 'til your milk dries up. You will most likely start leaking right after birth if you haven't already started leaking. You will need them at the hospital.

How many maternity pads should I pack to begin with?? I have about 40, is that too much to take at once lol?

Do you have to take your own bottles and pump? I plan to BF but one nip is a bit funny so have two ready made formula cartons just in case.

Oh it's so serious now it's so close!!

How many maternity pads should I pack to begin with?? I have about 40, is that too much to take at once lol?

Do you have to take your own bottles and pump? I plan to BF but one nip is a bit funny so have two ready made formula cartons just in case.

Oh it's so serious now it's so close!!

If you are planning to BF hun I think they will encourage you to get the wee one on the breast, its not recommended to introduce a bottle till at least 4 weeks so I think you can leave your pump and bottles at home :flower:

Im planning to BF too so one less thing in my overstuffed bag lol

Not sure if this has been mentioned, since there are so many pages, but I will add CD's and a CD player or MP3 player and something to hook it up to if you want to play music in your room and not wear the headphones etc. I don't own an mp3 player so am burning cd's with relaxing labor music. Also, something to massage your back with a lot of firm pressure. A birthing ball. Hair ties and brush! More than 1 pair of socks, chances are blood will run down your legs and stain them if you wear them during labor.

Hmmmm..... I think we need a separate USA thread for what to pack. Seems like 90% of what you ladies have listed, our hospitals provide. We don't bring toiletries for the baby, we don't use cotton wool (?), the hospital provides the baby wipes and the diapers, and well.....they provide pretty much everything we need till we go home. This is my 4th baby and I will be packing in 1 small bag. We don't wear our own gowns for labor, delivery, and clothes are provided for the baby till we go home. Also, here in the USA we typically don't pack ANYTHING for DH (like a change of clothes) as he is quite capable of going home and changing for himself. I see some people were taking toiletries etc for their partner....do they stay over night?:shrug: While there are some good suggestions on here.....like I said most are not applicable here in the US.

with al these nhs cuts lately it might even be a good idea to take your own paracetamol and clean bedding, towels and hot water to bath in hehe!
obviously only joking about the hot water etc but the paracetamol are a good idea, if your partner needs some after your moaning and excessive hand gripping the hospital may not provide them for him.

il be taking a bag with basically nothing in because last time it weighed a tonne and i used less than half of it!
if this is your first baby take what you think you need and take anything and everything that will make you comfortable, it will make you feel so much calmer knowing you have everything that you might need!

i rang my hospital after seeing this thread to ask if they provided milk and bottles in case you dont breastfeed and she pretty muched laughed me off the phone and said of course they do! i felt like a bit of a pratt tbh lol so check with your hospital first before bringing loads of milk and bottles x

i rang my hospital after seeing this thread to ask if they provided milk and bottles in case you dont breastfeed and she pretty muched laughed me off the phone and said of course they do! i felt like a bit of a pratt tbh lol so check with your hospital first before bringing loads of milk and bottles x

that's great to know, it was something i was worried about but didnt want to ask :blush:

I'm two counties from Kent (miss cakes) and my hospital doesn't provide milk or bottles, definately check! X

i've just been looking on ebay and they do pre-packed maternity bags, some of them look ok - they have the basics in - just a thought and a good idea i suppose for emergencies or for a short stay in hospital - maybe if you are only in for a day or two, and then if you need anymore your other half could always bring extra in

its been nagging on my mind for ages its definitely worth checking just in case x

https://www.cowandgate.co.uk/assets/CG_downPDF_HospBag_OPTIN200803180632.pdf

Just had an email with this link
Xx

Hmmmm..... I think we need a separate USA thread for what to pack. Seems like 90% of what you ladies have listed, our hospitals provide. We don't bring toiletries for the baby, we don't use cotton wool (?), the hospital provides the baby wipes and the diapers, and well.....they provide pretty much everything we need till we go home. This is my 4th baby and I will be packing in 1 small bag. We don't wear our own gowns for labor, delivery, and clothes are provided for the baby till we go home. Also, here in the USA we typically don't pack ANYTHING for DH (like a change of clothes) as he is quite capable of going home and changing for himself. I see some people were taking toiletries etc for their partner....do they stay over night?:shrug: While there are some good suggestions on here.....like I said most are not applicable here in the US.

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/618188-us-ladies-hospital-bags-3.html

i actually started a thread on this yesterday! although i disagree with not packing anything for DH... he is most definitely staying the night at the hospital with me and i'm not going to make him drive all the way back home to get what he needs because i didn't want to pack for him. actually, i probably won't LET him leave the hospital at all until i do! lol

with al these nhs cuts lately it might even be a good idea to take your own paracetamol and clean bedding, towels and hot water to bath in hehe!
obviously only joking about the hot water etc but the paracetamol are a good idea, if your partner needs some after your moaning and excessive hand gripping the hospital may not provide them for him.

il be taking a bag with basically nothing in because last time it weighed a tonne and i used less than half of it!
if this is your first baby take what you think you need and take anything and everything that will make you comfortable, it will make you feel so much calmer knowing you have everything that you might need!

I think paracetamol is a great idea actually. It is ridiculous how long you have to wait for someone to go and get you a couple after labour! 3 hrs I waited for. So I'm definately putting some in my bag :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->