What would contraindicate a HBAC?

G

Gunnhilde

I had a c-section with LO in 2008 for a possible pelvic bone fracture after a bad fall. So, I've never even been in labour or had any problems with a pregnancy. I had really wanted a natural birth last time and the obgyn even wanted to try for it, but the orthopaedic surgeon was very hesitant.

I'm not pregnant yet, but we will be TTC by the end of the year and I am concerned about having another hospital birth (my worst nightmare).

What are some of the things that would be a no-go for having a HBAC? I kind of believe in minimal monitoring/testing and hopefully no ob/gyn (just midwife) so is there something specific I should ask for to see if there will be any problems?

I'm also a little concerned about having a large baby. LO was 8 pounds at 38 weeks and OH is 6'6" (200 cm) and huge framed!

I don't know about where you live, but sadly having had a c-section rules it out for me here :(

I don't know about where you live, but sadly having had a c-section rules it out for me here :(

I know it isn't much of a problem in America. I'm not sure about Denmark, but we are doing a private midwife anyways. If it is going to be a real problem...we'll take his mandatory 4-6 weeks of vacation (plus months of paternity leave) off and go to America to do it.

I guess there is always the old standby of waiting until the last possible moment to make it to the hospital...

It makes it seem even more rediculous to me that I can't even try for one, when the hospital is withn walking distance! I could get there faster by car than it would take them to even prep the operating theater.

I hope you get your homebirth :)

The only thing I can think of is if you had a more complicated c-section, with a T or J shaped scar, or if you had a uterine rupture before. Infection in your scar can also make you more prone to rupture but I think it has to have been one that required redoing your scar.
My midwife is happy for me to have a HBAC, my consultant isn't but the only reason she could give is the increased risk of rupture

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->