What would you do???

leedsforever

Kerry!
Reaction score
Ok as some of you know I was signed off sick from work last week due to my back.....

.... ok my first shift this morning only 2.5 hours because of midwife appointment and already my back is hurting again and this heat is absolutely unbearable to work....

I have some options and Im having a tough time deciding on them!!!

Ok Im a waitress in basically what you can call a glamorised mcdonalds... (an american themed diner)!!! It gets busy and we are often running around the restaurant like loons!!!

My plan was too leave on 12th july... when I would be 34 weeks!!!

However the thought of 5 more weeks working is actually depressing!!! Especially when they put me down for 9 hour shifts on saturday and sunday!! I get 1 break in these 9 hours and you are CONSTANTLY on your feet!!

Do I........??
a) leave as soon as poss...... if so how much notice do I legally have to give them?? Im 29 weeks on thurs so I can claim maternity from then!!!

b) Cut my hours down.... explain 9 hours are too long!!! Ask to do 20 hours a week until im 34 weeks (as I would clear more than sat maternity pay)!! But then would my average be greatly affected for my first 6 weeks at 90%!!
Also my concern with this is why do 20 hours a week when i could go on maternity?? I know I get more time afterwards but I think come feb/march next year I will be going out of my mind and ready to get a part time job somewhere!! (NOT GOING BACK TO MY CURRENT JOB)

c) just stick it out... with the heat.... back pain..... bad employees..... stress at the stupid people they call managers which are really only head waitresses!! all for an extra £100 a week!! if that some weeks!!

PLEASE help ladies.... just tell me what you would do!?!?
Maybe I could add a vote thingy.... how do I do that :blush:??

Id hand in your notice and start your maternity. Maternity starts from the date agreed or on the first day of absence for a pregnancy related reason. Its just not worth it! YOu need to be fit and healthy and I struggle at 16 weeks in a desk job cause im so knackered! God knows how you run around all day!

Tell them you want t start your maternity and see what they say about notice. I have a horrible feeling its 28 days unless its due to illness but id check that.

Maybe you could explain the situation to them and ask to cut your hours down first, see how you get on and if thats no good then start your maternity leave?

My company state that if you want to change the date you start maternity leave you have to give 28 days notice though

we dont have contracts at our place so they do rotas on a weekly basis!!! but then they do have to find someone to cover me!!! (not that they seem bothered)!!! AND head office havent even got me to tell them a date..... its just my own individual restaurant!!! Ive wrote in their diary "KERRY GOES ON MATERNITY"!!! They are so unorganised!!

What about the financial implications?? Do you think its silly to leave that early?? x

I guess it really depends on your financial situation and whether or not you feel it's safe to continue the job. No job is worth putting yours and your LO's health at risk......but I do understand that some people do need the money and quitting can cause financial strain (don't know your finances obviously so can't really say if this would affect you or not).

I think I would give 4 weeks notice now and work much shorter hours (with a medical note demanding it if necessary) so that I could keep as much paid maternity leave as poss for after the baby arrives.

This being said, only you know how much strain the work is putting on you and if you're ready to go now you should.

Lxxx

I am in a similar situation to you, kind of. I have been off with back pain and all of last week just feeling generally run down, i had an appointment with a consultant at the hospital today and he thinks i should stop working already, but i didnt plan on taking maternity until 38weeks. He wanted to sign me off until my maternity starts but if you get signed off for more than 2weeks then your employer can force you to take your leave earlier, so he has just signed me off for 1week and says to go back to work for 1 or 2days and then get signed off again, it might be an option for you....?
That way you won't loose any money, providing of course that you get paid for being off sick, otherwise i would advise you to take maternity now, 5wks is a long wait!

Hope i didnt ramble on too long and it made sense?! :oops:

x

as far as i'm aware, as long as it's not baby related, they can't make u start ur maternity. people at my place of work say they've hurt their arm, or have a sore throat. if you get sick pay, it may be worth looking into.. especially if youre not going back.

Em.
x

I have to give 3 weeks notice of my intention to start my maternity.
Do head office have an HR department you could talk to 'hypothetically' - see what your options are??
It's tough one hun. If you can afford to I'd be tempted to start it early on the full benefits. How long are you planning on having off?? I suppose if you cut your hours at least you'd have the money coming in for long, even though it would be less than you are used to.
Either way we are all gonna be skint when these babies arrive so why risk your's and Courtney's health!!

at the end of the day, your health is really important. and it sounds like quite a busy environment to stay working in pregnant.

ok if it was an office, id say hang on in for a bit, but i think if i was in the same situation for the sake of 5 weeks and if i was sure that i could manage financially i d say go for it.

Thanks girls....
.... Im going to phone the office tomorrow!!! They really are so unprofessional and it gets me down too!!!
They havent asked for a notified leave date... so surely i can give them one now?!? without having to give 28 days notice as Im not changing it!!???!! :shrug:
They have no HR department, colleague handbook, they dont even have contracts!!! Its just a poor job to have and fall pregnant really!!
My sick pay was just SSP!!! So I would be better of going on maternity!! I think when i phone office tomorrow I will just tell them I want to start as soon as possible!!!

In my eyes... 39 weeks is a long time.... Come feb/march next year i will be itching to get back to a part time job of some sort (I am a workaholic) lol... Had a job since I was 16.... doing 20 hours a week studying for Alevels etc etc!!! Its just me!!
:)

My plan is to get something part time when she is 6 months or so.... then go back to uni in sept 09' to carry on my teaching profession!!

The heat has really got to me today.... just felt like crying all day lol :cry:!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->