What Would You Give Up?

Re the desensitization issue - no matter how many times I see the same advert I am shocked to the core. I feel compelled to do something, and sometimes that something is only a prayer. I read this book about a home for HIV orphans who were once HIV positive and turned negative (sero-whatsit) and when I saw the "before" pics I was literally shaking. As horrible as I feel, I feel glad I am still sensitive to them because it compels me to act.

Going off on abit of a tangent here but I note that now OFSTED inspectors require schools to evidence links with both local and international communities and I note that C of E schools tend to rank highly due to their charitable efforts with overseas communities so maybe for our children's generation, the whole "charity begins at home" will be a thing of the past.

how can you go from having HIV to not having it ?

Children born to HIV positive mothers may test positive at birth but if re-tested a few months to 2 years down the line, some lose the antibodies and become HIV negative. Usually achieved by around 78% of well cared for children according to stats.

Lesleyann just wanted to let you know that both Dogs Trust and RSPCA have policies against putting animals to sleep. It's only done if they are in desperately poor health that cannot be treated. It's actually the private homes that tend to be jab happy. My own dog was from the RSPCA and she had been there a year. Dogs Trust are particularly good.

Children in Need is actually a grant making body that was created by the BBC. They don't actually do any charitable work - they give grants to charities.

That's interesting. Who do they award to? Or is it project based?

They give to charities. We got a grant to run a project working with young people affected by domestic abuse.

I still resent there being only a single cause on focus through what's kind of a public service but it's good to know it's a funding scheme. A lot of money goes into it!

i think we should sort out the starving children and homless people in our own country first, those adverts just get on my nerves if i wanted to give money i would your advert will not make me do it, I also hate how its not just asking for a donation its asking for £3 a month rather than just saying donations needed or accept ect there askign you to pay every month theres one i saw before for £3 a week!! I will put lose change into the the buckets at the check out tills when its for the UK you know the ones where you might also get your bag packed for you? i dont donate to places like rspca or dogs trust id rather donate to a small place where the dogs/cats w.e are not locked up most of the day and get the attention they need *well more of it* and are not pts so fast

And then when you do, they email you saying ta very much but can we have some more!! In other words!

C'mon folks what happened to the joy of giving? I feel good when I give, I thought everyone felt the same? At the mo I cant give cash but I volunteer, I say prayers and donate blood and it feels good and I wish I had more to give. Genuinely curious, but why do you hate being asked to give? (no judgement whatsoever)

I don't hate being asked to give. I resent being subjected to horrible imagery as I give anyway and it basically just makes me cry! I can see how people who pay direct debits get annoyed at requests for more though. I just can't afford to give more so don't worry about that really. Though I do regularly give to Amnesty causes. They don't often call but always ring about causes I really do care about strongly and so I'll usually give an extra £20. It's not very often.

Generally I suspect people tend to feel a mix of resentment, guilt, sorrow etc depending on their means, what they already do and what is being asked. It's complex!

I find it rude when I already give for them to email me asking to give them more... When does it end?

Lesleyann just wanted to let you know that both Dogs Trust and RSPCA have policies against putting animals to sleep. It's only done if they are in desperately poor health that cannot be treated. It's actually the private homes that tend to be jab happy. My own dog was from the RSPCA and she had been there a year. Dogs Trust are particularly good.

what about that tv show that showed what teh rspca where doing at it was other small family run rescues who go and get these dogs to stop them being pts ?

I don't know about any tv show but I'd take it with a pinch of salt. Tv shows don't have to be factually accurate and usually aren't. I know people who work and volunteer for these organisations so I'm inclined to believe them. Besides, not giving money to them is what limits their ability to be able to house more animals.

it makes me feel good giving things to my son and buying things for my new baby before even thinking about others. id love to donate blood but im far too scared lol id want to do something like that, that is actualy proven to be worth while or give money to charities that help the armed forces lads and ladies and their dependants as u dont see how much it really does help those people in need whove given so much to our country.

i think people need to look closer to home and the charities we have for our forces ect before giving to other countrys

I'd give up my Tv license, waste of moneyyyy :haha:

I;m not loaded, i give what i can. I put my coppers or a few 5p's in to the charity collectors on my way out of tesco twice a week. I cannot afford to give any more than that. My family come first, i have to make sure my son is dressed, clean, house is clean, paid for etc.

just a small fact here about the british legion, which no one really knows what they do unless u need to.
when u buy a poppy no matter how small u give that money is used to help people like me whos lost a partner to go on a small family holiday, get a free solicitor and help with furniture if needed and to also supply people in need with councilors.

I've always bought a poppy :) it's not that which gets my goat up, its charities which you give money to, and then 6 months later they direct debit you more than what they should, and/or keep asking you to increase the amount you give already.

Also about the third world countries, where they are in need of food, why can't we just buy food and send it over, rather than give money? There is a dog shelter near me, and my local Tesco has a bucket at the end of the checkout and you put dog food/treats in for dogs, those charities get no government help whatsoever.

Also about the third world countries, where they are in need of food, why can't we just buy food and send it over, rather than give money? There is a dog shelter near me, and my local Tesco has a bucket at the end of the checkout and you put dog food/treats in for dogs, those charities get no government help whatsoever.

People in developing countries don't just need food and would naturally prefer support to help them be independent not sitting waiting for the next food parcel. They need clean water more than anything which would reduce disease loads and enable them to irrigate farmland and support healthier livestock. Unclean water is basically the biggest killer and not having a supply nearby prevents successful agriculture. They need medication for simple illnesses that we wouldn't think twice about but that kill in vast numbers, such as plain old diarrhoea. Training in building so they can have more stable homes. Donation of animals to provide food and labour. It sounds from your post that you are comparing the undeveloped billions to dogs at your local shelter but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that that's not how you intended it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->