What's a bridal shower and what gift?

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
An old friends mum asked me to attend her daughters bridal shower yesterday, I was confused as she already has had a hen night, what is it and I'm guessing a gift is required? Ah ideas?

(We used to be really good friends, but I moved away and then so did she and now I'm back, so this I guess is for people loving here)

Is it like a baby shower with games etc?

I have no idea sorry! I hope some one else has an answer x

It's basically a party for the bride. Like a baby shower like above poster said but with a wedding theme.

I'd get a small gift. Maybe a good luck token or photo frame/album

Xx

As above.

I would get a little basket and put things she can pamper herself with in the lead up to the wedding. If you get the bits from Tesco this can be super cheap. I would a couple of face masks (sensitive) at £1 each, nail files (they do every day value ones for 50p and they have flowers on them), some nude nail varnish (£1), bubble bath, a chocolate bar, and a few other little bits depending on what was on offer.

Personally I find this an excuse to get more presents if done in the UK, as it's not a tradition here.

Basing this on american tv I think the gift is supposed to be for the bride rather than the couple.

Personally I find this an excuse to get more presents if done in the UK, as it's not a tradition here.

Basing this on american tv I think the gift is supposed to be for the bride rather than the couple.

I do feel that a bit, engagement parties and gifts, hen part, bridal shower and wedding! She has been obsessed with getting married since a young girl and is now 29 and this is her first ever boyfriend so I do think she is milking it for all she can get, but then I was totally opposite, neither me nor hubby had hen/stag dos, or anything really.

If its just women sometimes they do lingere as gifts or if more conservative houseware items from their registry.

Sounds like a nice idea of getting female family members together because hen parties aren't normally suitable for everyone, shame it's another event that a gift is expected for, weddings are bloody expensive to attend as it is.

Americanised crap IMO :rofl: sorry to put it bluntly, but to me its just another way to get presents and not traditional in the UK. xx

I think a bridal shower is a more conservative event, something you could take your grandmother too as opposed to a hen where you just get pissed.

Bridal shower = family gathering (old grandmas welcome) where you play silly games like making dresses out of toilet paper and receiving crock pots
hen/bachelorette = night out with your close girlfriends to celebrate a one last night being ~single~ and going wild

that's how it's done here in Canada anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->