whats the purpose of a pelvic exam?

MermaidMom

Reaction score
is it just to check for the mucous plug and stds? id like to skip it if so.... i want the least amount of medical anything with this baby as far as is safe and makes sense in my mind.

Is this during pregnancy? I have a feeling we don't get one in the UK. I was due a smear test in november and couldn't have it cos I was pregnant.

yea its standard in the states to do an internal ultrasound, pelvic exam and/or pap smear at 10 weeks or before... i think thats just too much and frankly unnecessary!

Even though it's been two years since my last pap my doctor even was fine waiting until after for mine without me even saying anything. I would have refused though - they can't make you do anything.

at my 4 week visit, i declined the pap b/c i had just had one at the beginning of my previous pregnancy 6 months before. however, the OB still wanted to do a pelvic exam, just to check the cervix and to feel the position of the uterus. i didn't decline (i didn't know she'd be doing that, and i hadn't thought about it beforehand), but i don't know why she needed to check that when she wasn't even doing a pap. having had time to think about it, i would probably have refused now b/c i don't see the point.

They dont do any in the UK untill your in labour so they cant be that important

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->