Whats wrong with living on a council estate?

I used to live on a council estate and I hated it. It was all druggies, Loads of fighting, teenagers shouting abuse when you walked past... Never lived on one before and never will again :(

We live in quite a 'posh' area now though, and I wouldn't change it for the world - never been any trouble in the 9 months we've lived here, everyone talks to each other and looks out for each other, No yapping dogs at 6am in the morning, No teenagers hanging around drinking cider on the street corner...

so really you think every conil easte is bad

I used to live on a council estate and I hated it. It was all druggies, Loads of fighting, teenagers shouting abuse when you walked past... Never lived on one before and never will again :(

We live in quite a 'posh' area now though, and I wouldn't change it for the world - never been any trouble in the 9 months we've lived here, everyone talks to each other and looks out for each other, No yapping dogs at 6am in the morning, No teenagers hanging around drinking cider on the street corner...

so really you think every conil easte is bad

No, I didn't say that, I just that because I had a bad experience I won't live on another council estate. Meaning that although most are good (my Mum lives on one which is fantastic) there are some which are horrible and you never know until you live there.

Oh and apart from the kids on the park that was directly across from our flat, who banged the gate at all hours, threw stones at people when you walked past (only way to get to the shop), bullied the little kids who went on the park, teenagers drinking cider, drug dealers, fights, strange looking scary men roaming the streets at all hours and the neighbour upstairs who stalked us (I posted a thread on here about it a few months back), there was also the fact that 1 month after we left, someone in OUR block of flats had their knees slashed with a machete. So yes, I'm glad I moved, and yes this particular council estate has scared me away from them all for life.

Again people have a sterotypical view of people that live on a council estate. Just like teen mums just like gays and all the others that are judged every single day

I have never seen someone taking drugs on my estate probs go on behind closed doors and I gre up on a council estate in milton keynes. Nothing wrong with me

I dont take drugs and I havnt stolen a thibg in my life

You get horrible kids from rich estates some of them are stuck up brats just like you get horrible kids from a council estate. Just because people live in a posh area it makes them no better and doesnt garuntee a good child. Its how you love your life and treat others not where you live or what you have
xx

here here i love it here and kids are going wild in the snow its great to see :happydance:also i would be little fibber if said i never stole anything i once stole a chocolate bar from my local shop when i was younger and my mum made me take it back:blush: :haha:

My neighbours actually bought there house and tbh they are a bit of a pain! I rent mine and I am the only person with HA housing in the street yet they are really chavvy lol and they own. Cant really judge peoples behaviour on where they live I suppose.

Again people have a sterotypical view of people that live on a council estate. Just like teen mums just like gays and all the others that are judged every single day

I have never seen someone taking drugs on my estate probs go on behind closed doors and I gre up on a council estate in milton keynes. Nothing wrong with me

I dont take drugs and I havnt stolen a thibg in my life

You get horrible kids from rich estates some of them are stuck up brats just like you get horrible kids from a council estate. Just because people live in a posh area it makes them no better and doesnt garuntee a good child. Its how you love your life and treat others not where you live or what you have
xx

I totally agree! Also I hate the stereotyping that goes on regarding children and abilities and behaviour. Just because someone lives in a posher house doesnt mean the children will be more intelligent or better behaved!

^^^^^^ loads do it though its so annoying i havent done nowt wrong to them or to any1 else in that fact yet we are branded and made to feel ashamed of where we grow up or live............ council estates open your eyes to the problems you cant hide from them they are here and they make you look at things in life a little bit differently ie..... growing up..... kids i new didnt get much and i saw that and when i did get or do get i appreciate it alot more than i prob would if i didnt see the people that dont get and the people that stuggle every day xx

i think some people who live in posher areas live in a bloody bubble if im honest, just because your house is owned and your neighbours house is owned does that make you a better person? does your s*** not stink like everyone elses? i think the woman from the programme needs to look more closely at her own life, people from posher estates still lie thieve and drug take trust me i know!!

oh and i live on a council estate now too and i love it!!

well, funny this...
my dad grew up with a council house background..
and my mum grew up with a really posh background, with loadsa money..
my dad's family is the closer family..
however my mum and dad arnt together (nothing to do with money)...

but my mum originally lived in a council house, when she had my brother, and now she earns loadsa money.. so now this woman would love my mum, but what would she think if she knew her background?
People arn't always what they seem anyway.. just shows how ignorant she is really!!
(i've grown up in both families, and there really is no difference!!)
xxxxxxxxx

I lived on a council estate all my childhood, and there was very little trouble. I moved out and got my own place the first one was good (not council estate), the second there was no ends of trouble (not council) and where I am now (on a council estate but not as a council tenant) there has been no trouble at all, so I think it is just luck of the draw.

But IMO it isnt about people not wanting to live on a council estate, that is personal choice and usually comes from experience (be it your own or someone elses), but to say there is nothing she can learn from someone who lives on a council estate on a lower wage is just crap, we can all learn something from someone, and it is THAT attitude that makes her the snob (that she is above that). Hope that makes sense?

No, I didn't say that, I just that because I had a bad experience I won't live on another council estate. Meaning that although most are good (my Mum lives on one which is fantastic) there are some which are horrible and you never know until you live there.

Oh and apart from the kids on the park that was directly across from our flat, who banged the gate at all hours, threw stones at people when you walked past (only way to get to the shop), bullied the little kids who went on the park, teenagers drinking cider, drug dealers, fights, strange looking scary men roaming the streets at all hours and the neighbour upstairs who stalked us (I posted a thread on here about it a few months back), there was also the fact that 1 month after we left, someone in OUR block of flats had their knees slashed with a machete. So yes, I'm glad I moved, and yes this particular council estate has scared me away from them all for life.

I agree with that, if i had a choice i wouldnt live in a council estate we got lucky with this one but as i said last one was like hell! Main reason we moved was one of my sisters friends was murdered at the top of the road. After that we knew it just wasnt safe anymore, i know people get murdered everywhere but that was the cherry on the cake, drug dealers everywhere it was a hell hole.All the kids smoked and drank by the time they were 8 or 9 and i actually wish i was exagerating there but im not :nope: hence how i started smoking!

So I have just been watching wife swap on 4od and it was in hull. There was a very posh lady and a lady from hull who lives on bransholme on a council estate. Their was nothing worng with her house, she did have a puppy and he did wee on the floor but they were traning him at that time and it was being cleared up

But at the meet and all the way through really she made a big thing about living on a council etsate:growlmad:. I live on one. My house is lovely and so are the people around here always willing to help when they can

It just annoys me she came across as very stuck up IMO

She said quote "Maybe if I had swapped with someone earning 200 grand a year but not this, how can you learn something thats further down than you" That what really pissed me off

I am so peeded off why do some people think they are better than othersjust becuas ethey have a bit of money.

xx

I know what you mean its stupid. Our estate is just full of elderly people. There all nice everyone in our part says hello but still keep to themselfs a bit.
Its ideal!

I live in a council estate, i've lived in my house for almost eleven years and everyone knows my family around here. It's really friendly and it has hardly any bother. But last weekend a group of drunken teenagers who i used to go to school with were hanging out outside my house and the police came. They live on the private estate behinde ours, i'm from a council estate and i was sitting in my room like a good girl lol, not drinking and shouting around the streets!

When i was doing my A levels last year this one girl in my Sociology lesson said that kids who were brought up on a council estate will drop out of school with no gcse's at sixteen and get a low paid job or go on the dole. I was furious! I stayed on at school for a year and now i'm at college five days a week and i have eleven A*-C's!

Yes we live in a council house but there is nothing wrong with our house and it's lovely inside. It really annoys me when people go on like that! :growlmad:

I live in a council estate, i've lived in my house for almost eleven years and everyone knows my family around here. It's really friendly and it has hardly any bother. But last weekend a group of drunken teenagers who i used to go to school with were hanging out outside my house and the police came. They live on the private estate behinde ours, i'm from a council estate and i was sitting in my room like a good girl lol, not drinking and shouting around the streets!

When i was doing my A levels last year this one girl in my Sociology lesson said that kids who were brought up on a council estate will drop out of school with no gcse's at sixteen and get a low paid job or go on the dole. I was furious! I stayed on at school for a year and now i'm at college five days a week and i have eleven A*-C's!

Yes we live in a council house but there is nothing wrong with our house and it's lovely inside. It really annoys me when people go on like that! :growlmad:

I hate that type of stereotyping!

I was brought up on a council estate and I'm going to Uni ins september
xx

There is nothing wrong with living on a council estate.

Nor is there anything wrong with living in a mansion.

The woman in the show may have stereotyped, and I really disagree with her, but there is plenty of stereotyping going on in this thread too. :shrug: Seems a bit ironic.

i dont come from a council estate but i have many friends who do...these "posh people"you speak of, we're not all that bad!!!:( just because i come from "money" doesnt mean i look down my nose at anyone else...and we never used to live the life we do now. However i do live very close to a council estate here in dundee, and i actually love it! im looking at gettng a flat there in few years..

anyhow i just thought id point out wer not all bad some of us are actually really nice!!!sorry if i offend anyone!!

i've an ex council house, its a street like anywhere else i've lived.

stupid shallow woman

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->