When did you stop driving while pregnant?

MamaPerez

Valentina's Mama
Reaction score
I plan on taking a class that ends on August 22 when I'm around 37 weeks. According to my ultrasound, I should be due September 5th, but looking at our conception day, I can also be due late August.

My college is a 30 minute drive from me. I made sure the class I'm taking is in the morning, and it will only be twice a week for class, but I'll be there additional days to use the computer lab.

I suppose I'm just looking for advice as to if I should take the earlier date for this class, but this will mean added stress as I will already be taking two other condensed classes? Or will I be okay hanging it out to 37 weeks? I might try and ask the professor if I could submit homework or take our final the week before so I could stay home, but I need an answer if he won't let that happen.

I drove until that day I went into labor (which was 2 days after my due date). Didn't know you were supposed to stop at any point...

I wasn't planning on stopping driving at all...I would think it's okay to carry on your plan :)

I won't stop unless I can't fit at some point lol

Why would you need to stop unless you physically didnt fit behind the wheel or a medical problem? I've always drove until the baby has been born and started driving again straight away.

Just to clarify, NO ONE HAS TOLD ME TO STOP DRIVING OR THAT I NEED TO STOP. But I know others do it out of choice to finish up the last of their nesting, to rest and wait, or if they're really active- just in case they go into early labor. My friend was 36 weeks when she had both her kids and they still came out nearly 7lb babies! And I'm just as active as she is.

Also, I was born and raised on Guam. We don't have freeways or highways there. So driving on the freeway has me very nervous a lot of times.

I wasn't planning on stopping driving at all...I would think it's okay to carry on your plan :)

A lot of people I have asked said they drove themselves to the hospital! I'm not that brave, but thank you for your helpful response! I definitely think I'll still carry out my plan, I just wanted the extra opinions of everyone to confirm that it's an okay choice.

If your belly fits behind the wheel, then you can drive. I was taking my driving lessons in my last pregnancy, and I took my test at 37 weeks with no problems; I still had a god 4 inches or so between my belly and the steering wheel; AND I haveto sit fairly close to the wheel because my legs are so short :haha:

As for the actie lifestyle; I'm not sure that works. I walked MILES each day in the last few weeks of BOTH my labours; the first time I went into labour at 39 weeks and the second I went overdue :shrug: If your baby isn't ready, he won't come out.

If your belly fits behind the wheel, then you can drive. I was taking my driving lessons in my last pregnancy, and I took my test at 37 weeks with no problems; I still had a god 4 inches or so between my belly and the steering wheel; AND I haveto sit fairly close to the wheel because my legs are so short :haha:

THAT'S AWESOME! :thumbup: Not many can say they passed a driving test with a baby in their lap! (;

as long as ur safe to drive ie u can fit in car and u havent been getting sharp pains. i drove up until i was induced last time

THAT'S AWESOME! :thumbup: Not many can say they passed a driving test with a baby in their lap! (;

bet u passed:haha:

bet he was more concerned about ur waters breaking!:haha:

Just to clarify, NO ONE HAS TOLD ME TO STOP DRIVING OR THAT I NEED TO STOP. But I know others do it out of choice to finish up the last of their nesting, to rest and wait, or if they're really active- just in case they go into early labor. My friend was 36 weeks when she had both her kids and they still came out nearly 7lb babies! And I'm just as active as she is.

Also, I was born and raised on Guam. We don't have freeways or highways there. So driving on the freeway has me very nervous a lot of times.

Oh ok. I didn't have the option as I worked up until my due date but certainly if you do, I'd just do whatever you feel comfortable with (as long as it's safe of course!).

I'll probably have to stop driving at some point in 3rd trimester. Mostly cause I'm only 5'1 (very short legs not in proportion to my torso) and have to pull the seat all the way forward just to reach the pedals. Doubt I'll be able to have a safe distance between bump and steering wheel, while being able to reach the pedals. Thankfully Hubby works from home, so it won't interfere with me being able to go out.

Oh ok. I didn't have the option as I worked up until my due date but certainly if you do, I'd just do whatever you feel comfortable with (as long as it's safe of course!).

Thank you! I just really want to verify if it's safe and have some back-up that what my driving is still okay for the baby.

I bet your little one was very happy that you saved any or all maternity leave for when they arrived though! <3

I'll probably have to stop driving at some point in 3rd trimester. Mostly cause I'm only 5'1 (very short legs not in proportion to my torso) and have to pull the seat all the way forward just to reach the pedals. Doubt I'll be able to have a safe distance between bump and steering wheel, while being able to reach the pedals. Thankfully Hubby works from home, so it won't interfere with me being able to go out.

Aw, you must be so cute and tiny preggo! Happy to hear you'll have some safe travels with hubby driving you when you no longer can.

Aw, you must be so cute and tiny preggo! Happy to hear you'll have some safe travels with hubby driving you when you no longer can.

lol My family and friends are very curious to know how big baby will be as Hubby is 6'5. I just feel short and very frumpy, already started showing from early week 14 and annoyingly I'm growing widthways as well, so now I look even shorter :haha:

I didn't stop in my last pregnancy, I'm also short- about 5ft and fitted ok, sometimes had to get in the passenger door and climb over the gear stick and handbrake if someone had parked too close to the driver door though!
It'll probably be fine to carry out your plan, see how you go later on in pregnancy, I was surprised how easy I found the last few weeks...was expecting some kind of "too tired, big and achey to move" period but it never came!
X

I get nervous driving on the highways. So for the moment I'm not driving unless I can take the small back roads to get where I need to go. If I feel I can't drive without getting nervous ill ask hubby to take me. I don't want to risk getting in an accident and hurting the baby. S I'm waiting until after he's here to start driving on the highways.

so long as you can fit safely behind the wheel to drive then its fine to keep going, i was taking driving instructors tution till 3 weeks before ds1 was born with no issues at all, i find it hard to drive in late pregnancy now because of pelvic pain issues

I drove all the way through. In fact, I drove the morning before I went into labor. I live in the country so there's really no avoiding driving even if I wanted to. I always just figured that if I started having contractions while driving, I'd pull over and call DH.

This time, I may start staying in town during the week when I get closer to my due date. Only because I'll have a 14/15 month old, and I'd hate to be stuck 25min away from DH at work and 40min away from the hospital if I went into labor alone at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->