When did you stop driving while pregnant?

I drove myself to the hospital with #4 and #5. They only have you stop driving for a few reasons, like can't fit behind the wheel safely, dizzy spells, vision disturbances, seizures. All the bad things. BUT, you should know that you might NOT make it to finish that class since the due date is only an estimate and that baby can come at anytime and be full term from 36 weeks on. As long as you are comfortable driving, and have no health issues that would prevent it, there's no reason to stop driving.

I'll probably have to stop driving at some point in 3rd trimester. Mostly cause I'm only 5'1 (very short legs not in proportion to my torso) and have to pull the seat all the way forward just to reach the pedals. Doubt I'll be able to have a safe distance between bump and steering wheel, while being able to reach the pedals. Thankfully Hubby works from home, so it won't interfere with me being able to go out.

Aw, you must be so cute and tiny preggo! Happy to hear you'll have some safe travels with hubby driving you when you no longer can.

lol My family and friends are very curious to know how big baby will be as Hubby is 6'5. I just feel short and very frumpy, already started showing from early week 14 and annoyingly I'm growing widthways as well, so now I look even shorter :haha:

Goodness, you've a ridiculously tall husband! When little one is born, you're going to have to tell us how long that baby is!

I drove myself to the hospital with #4 and #5. They only have you stop driving for a few reasons, like can't fit behind the wheel safely, dizzy spells, vision disturbances, seizures. All the bad things. BUT, you should know that you might NOT make it to finish that class since the due date is only an estimate and that baby can come at anytime and be full term from 36 weeks on. As long as you are comfortable driving, and have no health issues that would prevent it, there's no reason to stop driving.

Thank you! That was really helpful. I didn't really know any of the reasons to stop driving aside from not being able to fit. I am pretty terrified of driving on the freeways too often since Guam is a tiny island with no highways whatsoever, but maybe with all the school time I'll get used to it, haha.

Also, I was born and raised on Guam. We don't have freeways or highways there. So driving on the freeway has me very nervous a lot of times.

I get nervous driving on the highways. So for the moment I'm not driving unless I can take the small back roads to get where I need to go. If I feel I can't drive without getting nervous ill ask hubby to take me. I don't want to risk getting in an accident and hurting the baby. S I'm waiting until after he's here to start driving on the highways.

Aw, yay! Not to celebrate your nervousness, but it's nice knowing I'm not the only one uncomfortable with it. I do fine driving on the freeway, but I definitely try my best to avoid them. :)

I was driving to work 40 min away the day before I gave birth, at 40 +2, so I would say no need to stop driving :) I mean if you're water breaks or something while you're driving (which I doubt would happen), then baby won't just pop out or anything :) Day I gave birth I drove to the hospital for my doc apt while having contractions, and my water broke in the elevator on my way up to see the doc!

I didn't stop driving.. drove to get groceries the day I went into labour. also I have a friend who is not quite 5'1 and she managed to drive for her entire pregnancy.

As for doing a course at the end of your pregnancy, I was kind of antsy and wanted to keep busy for the last few weeks so if you end up like that you'll be fine doing a course until the end!

I wasn't planning on stopping driving at all...I would think it's okay to carry on your plan :)

A lot of people I have asked said they drove themselves to the hospital! I'm not that brave, but thank you for your helpful response! I definitely think I'll still carry out my plan, I just wanted the extra opinions of everyone to confirm that it's an okay choice.

That was me. Drove myself the hour and a half I needed to get to the hospital. Day after my due date. 70mph the whole way. It was a fun ride. Haha

I never stopped driving :blush: i went almost 42 weeks w DS1 and 38 weeks with DS2. And w DS2 my MWs were a one hour drive away, one way, and i had to drive myself. Same will have to be done w this pregnancy too. I just dont see it practical to potentially have to stop driving for up to 6 weeks in this day and age. Besides that being the driver is actually one of the safer places you can be in a car, in comparison to the front passenger seat

I'll probably have to stop driving at some point in 3rd trimester. Mostly cause I'm only 5'1 (very short legs not in proportion to my torso) and have to pull the seat all the way forward just to reach the pedals. Doubt I'll be able to have a safe distance between bump and steering wheel, while being able to reach the pedals. Thankfully Hubby works from home, so it won't interfere with me being able to go out.

Aw, you must be so cute and tiny preggo! Happy to hear you'll have some safe travels with hubby driving you when you no longer can.

lol My family and friends are very curious to know how big baby will be as Hubby is 6'5. I just feel short and very frumpy, already started showing from early week 14 and annoyingly I'm growing widthways as well, so now I look even shorter :haha:

actually, you may be surprised at how long you can drive. Im not saying everyone gets as lucky as me, but im hardly 5 foot 1 and i was able to fit behind the wheel until labor, which was nearly 42 weeks w DS1, if that puts it into perspective. :)

actually, you may be surprised at how long you can drive. Im not saying everyone gets as lucky as me, but im hardly 5 foot 1 and i was able to fit behind the wheel until labor, which was nearly 42 weeks w DS1, if that puts it into perspective. :)

That's true, but it also depends on the type of car you're driving. If I still had either my old Citroen or Nissan then I would have had more of a gap and would be able until labour. With my current Vauxhall I'm closer than I ever have been to the steering wheel.

Plus if my torso was in proportion to my legs I'd be under 4'11, if only I could have those extra couple of inches to match my torso. :haha:

Goodness, you've a ridiculously tall husband! When little one is born, you're going to have to tell us how long that baby is!

Shall keep you all posted :winkwink:

Unless your doctor says otherwise, you don't need to stop driving. I drove until the day my water broke. As for walking, it's actually a very good way to prepare your body for labor. it helps the baby to get in the right position and keeps your body up-to-date.

I drove till the day I went to be induced. I was told as long as you can fit behind the wheel its fine :)

I don't plan on stopping, but my husband won't take me on the back of his Harley and I'm only 16 weeks!

Better safe than sorry he says..

:shrug:

Im 38 weeks and still driving :) And getting a little bit of road rage of course!!

Unless your doctor says otherwise, you don't need to stop driving. I drove until the day my water broke. As for walking, it's actually a very good way to prepare your body for labor. it helps the baby to get in the right position and keeps your body up-to-date.

I actually go running and hiking a lot, which is why I'm thinking I might be like my friend where she did a lot of yoga and kept fit during her pregnancy, and she had her little ones at 36 weeks!

I don't think there is anytime before birth you should stop driving, however I can understand not wanting to do long drives (if on the highway) if you are concerned about going into labour and ending up stranded somewhere.

My doc says you can drive as long as you are comfortable doing so .. but I quit driving since first tri , for i feel very exhausted and tired after work for a 40 minutes drive (so instead i take a cab and happily sleep in the rear seat !!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->