• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When should I install the car seat?

Lilaala

LTTTC Alumni
Reaction score
I'm almost 32 weeks now, the car seat is sitting on my kitchen table in it's massive box, but I don't want to put it in the car too early? When did you/would you install it?

I would install it around 36 weeks. 37 weeks is considered "full term". I had my son at 37+5 naturally, so I'm not waiting until 38 weeks like a lot of women do!

I think most do it around 36-37 weeks.... With my first, I'd did it at 35 wks ( I was anxious, and figured why not, it doesnt bother anything being in the car for a few weeks, just in case I went early) well my baby came at 41+2. With my second I put it in at 40+3 haha, baby came at 41 - I was induced both times.
I say whenever you feel ready. It won't hurt to have it in the car, and one less thing to do!

Oh gosh, okay so maybe I'll put it in at 37 then since it's term, I think I'll store it outside it's box though as this box is huuuge!

Check with public health in your area. In ontario they offer car seat clinics once a month that you can sign up for that are free. They teach you and help you to install the seat safely and give you tips on how everything should be positioned. We found it super helpful. We installed ours last week I will deliver end of oct. We needed help to install it properly. Investigate it early though as here I had to call on the first day of the month to schedule an appt and then the clinic was the last wed of the same month.

I'd check you know how to do it and it fits in your car, then put it away until nearer the end. This time I've installed it at 37wks (last time I think we grabbed it on the way to hospital) but that's to stop my toddler from climbing in it. :)

I was thinking the exact same thing today so thanks for asking the question. I think I'll get it out in 2weeks or so and have a play, see how it fits etc so I can do quite quickly when labour starts.

I'm 37+4, and I'm installing mine this week. I never know when my baby will decide to show up!! :)

This thread got me thinking about getting our car seat installed. I went out tonight and it literally took me 5 minutes to install it. I left it in place for now however I don't think this is as big of a thing to worry about. As long as you know how to install it or you can learn how to do it and then take it out to put in at anytime.

One of the things I did make sure to do early on was how to adjust the straps in case they weren't set up right or baby didn't fit in it correctly. Your not supposed to be able to bunch up the shoulder straps so I know how to make it smaller or bigger if needed and I won't be at the hospital with a newborn baby reading instructions lol

Now by "installed" do you mean installing the base of a car seat or the seat itself? Here in the US the hospitals require that the baby be in a car seat to be carried out of the hospital. You can't even carry your baby around the hospital. And they definitely wont let you carry baby out of the hospital.

I assumed the op meant installing the base and making sure it's level. I'm in us as well so were have to the same rules as you do eme

anyone from Australia who can tell me if we have those strict rules re. carrying baby out of hospital? We have a car seat that fits newborn to 4 years, its not a capsule so we cant remove it to carry the baby around in.
I have a hug-a-bub wrap would that be ok?

anyone from Australia who can tell me if we have those strict rules re. carrying baby out of hospital? We have a car seat that fits newborn to 4 years, its not a capsule so we cant remove it to carry the baby around in.
I have a hug-a-bub wrap would that be ok?

Oh i didnt know there are rules, I only bought the carseat as well without the capsule but my pram has a carrycot so hopefully that will be okay

I'm almost 38 weeks and just cleaned the carseat today (we used it for our last child 3 years ago). I'm not going to install it, even the base, though, because it will go in the middle row of the van, and all our older kids will then be relegated to the back. Might as well let them use the seat before baby comes.

Really, I don't think it's necessary to install it before labor starts. Yes, I'd pull it out of the box and make sure all the pieces are there, etc. But you can even set it in the back seat or trunk as you head to the hospital, and have OH install it before you leave. ;)

(I'm not judging ... I think with our first, we had it installed by 35 weeks. But then I went to 40+6 before labor, and ended up feeling a bit silly with a baby seat in my car while still pregnant for a month and a half)

The other reason not to install it too soon (with the seat) is heaven forbid you have an accident or someone goes into your parked car, the car seat will be damaged and need replacing.

Now by "installed" do you mean installing the base of a car seat or the seat itself? Here in the US the hospitals require that the baby be in a car seat to be carried out of the hospital. You can't even carry your baby around the hospital. And they definitely wont let you carry baby out of the hospital.

We got a 5-star rated Safety First stages one that converts from 5lbs rear-facing all the way up to 80lbs forward-facing. :flower: So the whole thing there isn't just a base to snap in.

It's different here, I'm not in the USA I know you have to have one to be allowed to drive away from the hospital with your baby, though, and rightfully so! :thumbup: People carry their newborns in their arms around the hospital all the time here.

Thank you everyone! The manual is quite thick will start there and I also like the idea of a 'dry run' putting it in properly for a few minutes just to be sure we get it right even if not leaving it in the car yet.

We won't be putting it in until it's needed. Our daughters seat needs to be moved to behind the drivers side and baby will be beside her (we have a van). It only takes 2 minutes to install the base and it's sitting in his room all ready to go so it's just a matter of grabbing it and putting it in quickly.

I haven't put mine in either, even though I don't plan to fully keep it in there. I've got one that has a base, so that's what I'll install probably this weekend. I've been meaning to completely clean the interior of my car, which was on the agenda this week but the carpet cleaner I just bought decided it was going to be a faulty one. Now I'm just waiting on a replacement to come in.

I dont know about that, my brothers wife just had a baby and I know they didnt get the car seat out of the car, the baby as wheeled out with her. Nurse just checked that the seat was installed and off they went.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->