When to start? Before or after 6 months? Or bang on 6?

P

petal040

I am confused about how to know when to start weaning :)

I am hoping to do blw and have got the book by Gill Rapley... I know it is not recommended to start before 6 months... but how do you know when after 6 months they are ready?

If LO has the skills (e.g. sitting well, pincer grip, reaching for food etc) and is over 6 months I guess you start... but what if they are 6 or 7 months but still don't have those skills?

Also - my LO was born 15 days after her due date - does that make any difference to the 6 month rule? As in, if she had all the skills and was 15 days before 6 months old, would it be okay to start?

We have been given a weaning appointment in January with HV, which I thought was surprisingly early? I am also getting pressure from family (not OH) to wean asap as they don't approve of me bf. I just want to get my facts right so I have some kind of plan in my mind!

I have mentioned the blw to my family but I don't think they really listened. I know once LO is 4 months and I'm not weaning already they will all think I'm crazy :dohh:

Hey hun, we started BLW at 5 and a half months. Yeah, it was early but she had all the 'requirements' and she really wanted to be part of our meals - she got to the stage where she was crying if we didn't include her somehow!! She didn't actually 'eat' for a while so I don't think starting early done her any harm.

If you start getting negative comments about not weaning from 4months then just explain that that is now an outdated approach and the new guidelines state from 6m.

As long as your LO can sit up and has lost the tongue thrust reflex then I wouldn't worry whether the day you start lands bang on 6months or not x

they say dont wean till 6 months but every baby is different.

i weaned my son at 4 months but i started with babyrice as i didnt do blw

I can't remember where I read this but it is somewhere that it's 6 months from your due date rather than date of birth, not sure how correct this is :shrug:

For BLW, the closer you can get to 6 months the better so that they have the necessary skills. At that point you just let them sit at the table and play with food and you don't need to worry about them being ready because they will only eat when they are :thumbup: Try not to worry too much about family and friends thinking you're mad for doing BLW, all of us BLWers have encountered this at some time or another! :lol: It's all worthwhile though when your LO is sitting down to Christmas dinner with you eating exactly the same as everyone else at the table, all by themselves :D

I started before 6 months, too, as LO had all the "ready" signs and also got terribly frustrated when he saw others eat solids and he wasn't able.

I just modified it a bit -- and am still doing basic foods, mostly steamed/roasted veggies and fruits, until we get to 6 months. The couple of times he had things other than those basics, it upset his tummy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->