When to start maternity leave

Jess125

Reaction score
When are you going to start your maternity leave? My due date is Wednesday 6/19 so I'm planning my last day at work to be Friday 6/14, unless I go into labor earlier.

I dont plan to start maternity leave until labor starts. I work at a computer (and could do my job from my laptop in bed, although that's not ideal) and only get 8 weeks of paid mat. leave. I'm quitting my job after mat. leave (due to us moving), so I'd rather get paid for as much as possible.

with my first I took 1 week vacay before my due date. I had my last day of vacation be Friday the 4th and she was born Monday the 7th LOL. Worked out perfect!

This time I have some extra vacation time accrued, so I am taking 2 weeks prior to my due date. Im due Aug 1st and my last day of work will be July 12th with my last day of vacation being July 27th. Hopefully he wont be too late!

I didn't want my baby going into daycare a second early so I went in to work for a half day when my water broke and took the entire 12 weeks with my baby. There wouldn't have been much point in my sitting around at home doing nothing for a week or 2 before hand anyway.

It's looking more and more like I'm not going to be taking any time off.

Right around my due date, the motel where I work is full every weekend. As assistant manager, I have both office and housekeeping duties (which is gonna suck in super hot july/august weather). We were training some extra help because of this, but it's looking like neither is going to work out.

It would have been unpaid maternity leave, anyway, which I doubt I would have been able to afford to do, anyway.

I feel for you ladies getting so little mat leave. I get 9 months paid (not full pay but enough to live on). I stopped around 34 weeks and took a bit of holiday time and then mat leave. I'm a nurse and its so physical I couldn't keep going.

I really don't think you should base your plans to take maternity leave on what everyone else is doing. I originally planned to go at 34 weeks but ended up finishing up at 32 as it was getting to difficult for me. Consider how you are feeling & coping then make your plans around that & don't be afraid to bring the date forward if you need to.

And for the record, I haven't been spending that much money whilst on maternity leave as I'm too tired most days and can't be bothered going to the shops.

I'm starting mine on the 24th June and due 25th July.

As a pp said though it's dependent on person how long they can work etc. Do what's best for you :thumbup:

It makes me see how lucky we are in the UK when I see what other people are entitled to!

I work until the end also. It's a personal choice, but I feel guilty using any mat leave on ME rather than my baby. It's all mind over matter. Would I like to not work and sit home doing nothing but relaxing for a few weeks? Sure, who wouldn't right??? But i think my baby is more deserving of that time, so I just get on with it.

You need to look at your own situation and what you can handle and then make your own decision, though.

I work until the end also. It's a personal choice, but I feel guilty using any mat leave on ME rather than my baby. It's all mind over matter. Would I like to not work and sit home doing nothing but relaxing for a few weeks? Sure, who wouldn't right??? But i think my baby is more deserving of that time, so I just get on with it.

You need to look at your own situation and what you can handle and then make your own decision, though.

I'm in the same situation. Any day I take while still pregnant, is one day less I have with my baby. So I'm putting on my brave face and toughing out the end!

I'm stopping work at 35 weeks, though the first 3 weeks is annual leave, so my maternity leave 'proper' starts 1 week before due date.

It depends so much on what work you do and how your body is coping with the pregnancy. Don't suffer through work if you're struggling and are able to take the time off, but equally if you're coping well and enjoying work then by all means stay until the last moment!

I agree in the end it's going to be an individual decision for everyone. I put mine in to start on the due date. I get 6 months at full pay here in Australia, so I could easily start early and still have good time with the baby. However, come July, my work can be done from home, on my laptop (in bed if need be!). Even if I was officially on mat leave I'd probably be working a lot, anyway, since I enjoy most of what I do. Therefore it didn't make sense for me to start mat leave until I really wanted a break from it to be with LO. I'm looking forward to a full 6 months with baby!

I get 12 months with some pay. So far I have booked off my last day as my due date.. but I'm struggling already to keep up here and am considering leaving a few weeks early. I also want to spend some time with DS before the baby arrives. I can't decide! I have to give 4 weeks notice of leaving so I'll see how I feel in a month.

I'm finishing at 35 weeks. I've heard alot of people say 'more time with my baby' and I totally get that. For me I wanted some time before she arrived to be kinda selfish.., watch tv, read books and prepare myself to never truly be alone again (shes my first.) Plus I appreciate having time to enjoy being pregnant and how amazing it is as opposed to struggling at work. Time with your baby once they are here is so important but so is looking after yourself right now. Don't compromise yourself, if you're happy and fit to keep going good on you!!if you can't that's ok too.

With DS I went off 5 days before my due date and went 2 days overdue so I was off for a week before he arrived. I love my job and the people I work for/with are like family and VERY supportive so it worked out. This time, I plan to leave 12 days before my due date on August 2nd when I'm not due until the 14th...strictly for the reason that I would like to spend some one on one Mommy/Son time with DS before his little sister arrives and his world is completely changed. I know he's going to be a great big brother and we are very excited that we are having a little girl but I can't help but feel some guilt over changing his world/taking time from him. I'm sure that will all go away once our daughter arrives but I am really looking forward to those 12 days. I've also started taking friday's off with him which is nice!

I had planned on working up until labor started.... My Dr took me off work yesterday at 35 1/2 weeks due to pre term contractions. I wasn't prepared for it but I'm going to enjoy the time to rest, plus I have the peace of mind knowing I still have my full maternity leave after the baby comes since I am on actual disability right now.

I say if you are lucky enough to be in a situation where you can take some time for yourself before the baby comes, do it! I know I would if I could. Every one of us deserves some "me time". Unfortunately for me and lots of other ladies over here, it's not an option no matter how awful you feel. I have the most brutal sciatica and pelvic pain, and have even had some contractions here and there. My doctor would take me out of work if I wanted it but I don't get paid anything except my measly vacation and sick days (which I have less than 2 weeks of) for maternity leave.

So although I feel I can't do it, I just tell myself I have no choice. It's amazing what you can do when you have to! I knew with my first pregnancy it would be hard to leave my son to go back to work but like with everything else with your first, you really don't know! It was beyond awful and I cringe at the thought of having to do it again. But I made it though and will again :)

Im starting mine end of next week at 32 weeks.
My job is pretty physical with alot of running around that I cant keep up with much now.
Plus I have alot of sorting out to do and want to spend sometime with my son before the baby comes along.

I start mine next Saturday @31 weeks, I was supposed to start at 33 weeks but the sheer exhaustion is causing me to be sent home from work and calling in sick. I'm more of a hinderence at work than a help now away.

I started the pregnancy stating I'd stay at work til the day before but as others have said - every pregnancy is different, so listen to what your body says and make a sensible decision based on how YOU feel :D
Good luck hun x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->